Weights at the gym

Options
I'm heading back to the gym tonight and having anxiety over using the weight machines. I already know how to use them but for some reason I feel very self conscience about doing anything but cardio. I know it's nuts but I can't seem to get over myself. Any one else feel this way?? I know weight training will really help with my weight loss but the thought makes me feel sick to my stomach. Any words of wisdom to help me get over it would be apprectiated!!

Replies

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Any words of wisdom...

Do what needs to be done.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Any words of wisdom...

Do what needs to be done.

exactly.
    face your fear.
    you will be fine
  • jamfan
    jamfan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just do it the first time, Then the next time will be easier & once you develop a routine you can throw in some new stuff. Everyone has to start somewhere & there is no shortage of newcomers in the gym this time of year. In general nobody else cares what you are doing unless you are in there way or are going to hurt yourself. It's all in your head so get over it.
  • melr01
    melr01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way. I had a friend come and help me with free weights but I would stay on the other side of the gym from the machines. They (and the people who used them) intimidated me and I felt like I didn't belong over there.
    A couple of months ago I started with a personal trainer and though I still feel intimidated, I'm on the machines feeling more confident in what I'm doing and how it is helping me. Cardio is great but I want to build muscle and weights is how you do that. One thing to note is that I don't lose as much weight now as muscle and fat weigh the same but I'm losing inches and that is what matters.
    Good luck and don't be afraid to ask for help from the staff at the gym or the people around you. Most are very helpful I find.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    You're a dues paying member, correct? Get after it...........
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You only have to do it once for that first time to be behind you. Remember that no one is really paying any attention to what you're doing so don't worry about what others might be thinking. Do it for you. Do it because it's how you are going to keep moving forward and meeting your goals. Do it because you're worth it! Don't let a small thing like using a machine get in your way of what you want.
  • annpatricianielsen
    Options
    I know how you feel! When I first joined the gym about a year ago, I'd keep my distance to anything else but cardio. After a while I finally tiptoed over to the machines, trying a tiny bit more every time. If you pay attention you'll see a lot of people reading the instructions, but you already have an advantage! You know how to use them! :-) So why hesitate? Using an iPod, counting the times you do each exercises or simply watching yourself - for example your legs when you do leg extension will take your mind off it!

Take care and have fun at the gym tonight :-)
  • jcolier
    jcolier Posts: 64
    Options
    Remember that no one is really paying any attention to what you're doing so don't worry about what others might be thinking.

Exactly. No one is watching you, or judging you. I've been going to the gym for years, and I still read the directions on the machines (when I use them).
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    What is your fear?

Is it others watching you? If so, sod them, they aren't important in your life.

If it's fear of injury, perhaps speak to a PT.

The gym is going to be full of people all starting out so you'll blend right in.

Caveat: don't ever start something by declaring out loud, "Watch this!"
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Fear is the mindkiller
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way starting back to the gym and doing weights.. thinking I didn't know what I was doing and people would be watching me! ugh.. but I find that once you are there a few times, especially if at a regular time, you get to know the regular goers, and they will actually start to cheer you on. If you are really unsure about what you are doing, perhaps even hiring a trainer to go over some of the basics with you and set up a routine would be beneficial.

You'll do fine. remeber that even the best built person there had to start somewhere!
  • virginia65us
    virginia65us Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could just kind of "get your feet wet" the first few times by doing some very familiar, basic exercises such as arm curls, tricep kick backs, etc. and then gradually add to your routine as you get more confident. I bet anything that most of those people that you feel intimidated by would be happy (even flattered) to show you a few new exercises or help you with your form. That has been my experience.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    Cap, headphones. Keep your head down get in get it done and get out. =)
  • Ras_py
    Ras_py Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    just wear sunglasses
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Cap, headphones. Keep your head down get in get it done and get out. =)

This
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I certainly remember that feeling but for me it was hitting the free weight area. I find that most beginner weight lifters start with the machines. So just remember when you get there that a lot of the people using the machines are new to lifting and they are feeling the same way you do. Also wouldn't hurt to strike up a conversation with a trainer or a friendly looking weight lifter. I'm always happy to help a new person and I'm sure there will be helpful people at your gym too.
  • Muffiewilmes
    Muffiewilmes Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I wish their was a "like" button on this board!! I liked the comment thaat do it once and the first time is over. It goes along with my motivation to get started "if I don't do it today it will only be harder tomorrow" So here goes it. :smile:
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    Nobody is watching you. Even the big muscle head guys are not paying attention. Seriously, we're all there to get our workout in and go home. Any person who tells me they are embarrassed or worried about how they look has no idea how little anyone is actually paying attention to them. Regular people of all sizes simply don't register anything more than a passing glance. We aren't watching how much you lift. We aren't watching how many reps you can do. All of this is entirely in your head.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Fake it 'til you make it.
  • serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I felt that way when I returned after mat leave and had been away from a gym for 18 months. I was so self conscious! I just paddled away on the weights and after 3 months, I was confident.