Going on a cruise! Need help!

Options
So, I am going on a 9 day cruise in a couple of days and I have never been on one before but everyone raves about the all you can eat "amazing" food! I will not be able to log in my calorie intake (no internet) so I am a little nervous. I would love any tips and suggestions for anyone that has done a cruise before, enjoyed the "amazing" food, and still lost weight. I thought I could just write everything I eat down in a note book but I wouldn't have any idea how many calories I'm eating. I do want to indulge but I'm not sure if I should give myself 1 full day of indulging or a little everyday....thoughts? Ideas? Much appreciated!!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The 10,000 miles you end up walking every day will balance out the calories. Be active and enjoy the delicious food. Even if you gain a couple pounds it will be worth it to enjoy your cruise and not stress about every single meal every day.
  • liz827
    liz827 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm going on a 6 day cruise end of March and I fully intend to use the running track 3 or 4 days I'm there. They also have a full gym on board too for you to use. Don't forgot you'll be doing a lot of walking when you get to port. Where are you going?

Regarding eating, I'm not going to go overboard, but I will indulge, especially in quite a few adult beverages. It's my first kid free vacation in almost 5 years :noway: I won't be using an internet connection, but I will have my iPhone on airplane mode to use the MFP app and take some pictures. I do plan on eating fruit and eggs in the AM along with some protein that I can find. Dinner will be in the main dining room, away from the buffet and I'll try to eat as healthy as possible. I do know I will have a few desserts. As for lunch, I've been reading on the cruise site what there is available on my ship. I know I'll be able to have fruit and salad, but what else is up in the air.

I am going to enjoy my time away and get right back on track full force when I hit land! Have a great vacation!
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Just make sensible choices. Try everything..small amount. You don't have to have "everything" at every meal. You will be walking tons, swimming, take the stairs instead of the elevator. Most of all have fun and deal with your choices (good or bad) after you get back home.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can enjoy a vacation without stuffing yourself with food. Eat sensible portions and make good choices. Hopefully there will be more exciting things to do with your time than cruising the buffet table!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    When I went on a cruise after 8 months of eating well and working out I just enjoyed it. I would pick the most sensible choice throughout the day and then one meal a day I would just eat whatever. Finally on the last day I just ate whatever I wanted. I also drank a bit. I was up a few pounds at the end but it fell off really fast.
  • cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you will walk TONS, which will help a lot, and there is the track around one deck that is great, plus a full gym, several pools, and so many other activities. If you really don't want to back track go ahead and use them, but don't be afraid to indulge (I'd say a little everyday because there is always something new to try everyday). If I were going I would focus more on enjoying it all (without eating myself silly) and less on gaining a pound or two. Remember one pound is about 3500 calories to overeat, that's a lot of food and takes time to get there!

Also, if at the end of your vacation you don't feel like you did well health wise, don't weigh in again for a week and get back to your workout routine first; you will probably be back on track before the week is over. Good luck and enjoy the cruise!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Purchase a paper calorie counter book if you want to track, people counted calories long before the internet.
  • cecilyjenkins
    cecilyjenkins Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oooh!!! I'm so jealous!!!
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Most cruise ships have the internet (internet hotspots/internet cafe)
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you eat in the formal dining room, don't get all the courses. The meals there are 3-5 courses usually, and the food is rich.
    I'd stick with salad and main course, and on some days maybe main course and dessert(you gotta live a little!).
    If you eat in the buffet, I'd avoid rolls+butter; there are a lot of tempting bread options but that's such a quick way to use up your calories without trying all the new interesting stuff. Also, check out the dessert buffet part thoroughly there are usually multiple sugarfree options that are pretty good =]