Crossfit for beginners?

Options
Hi everyone-

I am thinking of trying CrossFit, but I have watched a few videos and to be honest, it is quite intimidating. I did a very intense bootcamp for almost a year, but had to quit due to a pregnancy/miscarriage. I'm ready to start a new program now, but I'm not sure if CrossFit is a good match for me- I don't have a lot of upper body strength.

I would be joining a CrossFit center, so there are formal classes and trainers, but I am worried I wouldn't be able to keep up and I would hold the rest of the class back.

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks!
:wink:

Replies

• jalyner
    jalyner Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Crossfit for a year now. I had the same insecurities as you have. You'll be amazed at the community you find involved with the sport. It truly is for people of all body types and abilities. No one compares themselves to you. Crossfit is all about friendly competition, but the REAL competition is with yourself. I couldn't even do a push up when I started and a year later, I'm amazed at how much strength (both physical and emotional) I've gained. I love it. I'll always do it. I'm never stopping. It's addictive; all the people involved have been so loving and motivational. Yes, it's hard, but it is SO worth it. Everything is scaled to you. Do it; you will not regret it!
    Good luck!
  • fielding15
    fielding15 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    the great thing about crossfit is that it's scalable to any fitness level. If you are going to be joining an affiliate then I would not worry about it. Everyone does the workout on their terms (whether you are scaling weight, using assistance bands, doing less reps/rounds, etc) and you won't hold anyone back. It's a great environment with so much positive energy. I love it - I've been doing it for 2 years now and will never go back to a conventional gym!
  • kkenny0146
    kkenny0146 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Do it! It is probably the best choice I have made in a while. Find a box and a trainer that will keep your goals in mind and cares about your progress. They can scale everything so that you can do it and get stronger at the same time. It is not making it "easy" but making it doable so that you can develop the skills and the strength to progress. I have been at it for 2 months, I love every minute, even when I finish last, doing scaled when others Rx.
  • tonyascrossfitblog
    Options
    I am 39 and have been out of shape for 14 years. I started a blog, in hopes that I could get more people to give crossfit a try. If I can do crossfit, anyone can. Heres a link to my website. (the stories are very real, funny- get ready for a few laughs) good luck - and YES, you should try crossfit. Good luck!!

http://tonyascrossfitjourney.com/
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone-

I am thinking of trying CrossFit, but I have watched a few videos and to be honest, it is quite intimidating. I did a very intense bootcamp for almost a year, but had to quit due to a pregnancy/miscarriage. I'm ready to start a new program now, but I'm not sure if CrossFit is a good match for me- I don't have a lot of upper body strength.

I would be joining a CrossFit center, so there are formal classes and trainers, but I am worried I wouldn't be able to keep up and I would hold the rest of the class back.

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks!
    :wink:

My GF does Boot Camp and the exercise splits are rather similar to Cross Fit but just mostly bodyweight exercises versus weight lifting. I think you'll be fine, just need to learn technique more than anything.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think of this every time I think of Crossfit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-j3RoNBscY