How often do you replace your running/work out shoes?

Options
I'm just wondering, I am more active in the last 9 months or so, but i'm finding my shoes are just not lasting. How often do you replace your running/workout shoes??

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Every 500 miles, I think.

EDITING cause I sounded like a smartass, which is not what I meant!!!

I think I replace mine every 500 miles. I think that is about once a year for me.... trying to remember.... I haven't worked out in a while :embarassed:

Maybe I was replacing them every 250 miles..... twice a year??
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I was wondering that too!! I think I am going to buy a new pair when I loose 20lbs!! :)
  • Amyann44
    Amyann44 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I buy new ones about every 6 months. I read somewhere that they last a certain number of miles but I don't remember how many it was
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    If you are running than every 300-500 miles... if you are doing like gym stuff and walking than you can get away with longer.. about 6 months... it really depends on the shoe though, some last longer than others. Hope this helped! :smile:

~Leash :heart:
  • abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you use 'em but I teach fitness so I do it every 6 months. I don't even know if that's right (great help, Allie) :P
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    http://www.therunnersguide.com/howlongrunningshoeslast/

I replace mine every 6-9 months probably.
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    Generally every 300-400 miles is a good number, but you can generally tell when a shoe is broken down. If you are buying a less expensive shoe, obviously they will break down a bit faster. Running shoes generally last a bit longer, but I find that Nike shoes wear out faster than most other running shoes.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I think its safe to say that I need to replace mine. I walk about 1000 miles a year and have had them for 3 years...so 3000 miles. LMAO...yeah, I think i am overdue....
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. After the switch though you can bump them down a level to regular walking around in shoes. :-)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. After the switch though you can bump them down a level to regular walking around in shoes. :-)

Or work in the yard shoes, wear casually on the weekend shoes, painting the house shoes, walking the dog shoes... I have a lot of worn out pairs that I keep for other uses :smile:
  • AndernWii
    Options
    When I was in the Army we changed them every 3 months or 300 miles.
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    If you are using shoes for running, you should log your miles. After 100 miles, you should rotate in a second pair. This will allow you to know when the first pair no longer provides adequate supports. You can NOT visually tell when a pair of shoes no longer gives adequate support. Your feet, knees, hips and back will tell you when the shoes are no longer giving adequate support. On average a pair of shoes lasts from 300 to 500 miles depending on frequency of use, terrain and gait pattern.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    In addition to the mileage on them, it's also important that you buy good running shoes at a proper store becuase the shelf-life of the materials must be taken into consideration too. Even sitting on a warehouse shelf for 2 years will cause the rubber and glue etc to begin to break down. If you are buying them at an outlet you will need to change them closer to the 300 mile mark and most likely within 3-6 months at the most, even if you are not running in them. If you are a serious runner, and are not constrained by a tight budget in this worrisome economy, please do your feet, knees, tibias, hips and back a favor and buy your shoes from a reputable store where the staff is educated on feet and shoes. (here in the Boston area I would recommend Marathon Sports).

Which reminds me....I need to replace my shoes NOW! LOL. :ohwell:
  • wartburgkate
    wartburgkate Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where my coworker heard this, I believe on NPR, but she said that women's arches also change when they have their monthly period. Weird, but possibly true? I remember my shoes feeling like they didn't fit just a few days before she told me that, and coincidentally it was that time of the month... so it might not be the best time to buy new shoes!

I wish shoes were indestructable-- they are so expensive. At least you can think, I did an amazing job breaking these down by working my *kitten* off literally.

:)