Week 1 was spot on...and I gained!

Options
13»

Replies

• pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the honesty, but I don't appreciate the rudeness.
    Um not spot on at all, actually. I scrolled back through, you have several days where you have more than one serving of crappy alcohol (Franzia, really????) and LOTS of salty foods, and a moderate level of sugar at the least. I would say you really need to re-evaluate your food choices.

That and the fact that your one bad day was almost worth 2 days of calories on your current plan is going to make you retain water like crazy.

I think you are being far too senstive, I see no rudeness here at all.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    For anyone who exercises and is wanting to lose just a few kg's please don't pay attention to your scale!! Throw it out actually!!

I exercise vigorously & lift heavy weights. I have wanted to lose just a couple more kg's in the past 6 months.

From August 6th to today I have fluctuated between the same few kg,s. In the past 5 months I have been hovering between 57.5 & 60 kg's. I have been tracking my progress by how my clothes are fitting and they have been getting looser and looser. Also people who hadn't seen me since august saw me again in November and told me they could tell I lost a heap of weight. They wanted to know what kind of training I'd been doing. They were so impressed. It was great to get this feedback. I also take monthly photos.

Today I had my reappraisal and learnt

I am still the same scale weight as I was 5 months ago &

I have lost 0.3% body fat

I lost:

4 cm off my waist - Down from 79 cm - 75 cm
    5 cm off my chest
    1 cm off my hips
    1 cm off my calfs
    1.5 cm off my arms

Put on 3cm of muscle on my legs!

So I have lost body fat and again put muscle on even in calorie deficit!! . I have the genetics for it!

Please just ignore the scale and go by measurements, photos, how your clothes fit & how you feel health & fitness wise. You can also track your fitness improvements which helps when things stall fo a bit (and things can and do stall from time to time as your body readjusts itself.

If I just had scale weight to measure my progress over the past 5 months would be a big fail!!! The scale measures total body weight. It doesn't show you LBM to fat ratio. I put on lean mass whilst losing fat. That is the true story of what really happened!!

I'll have to upload my Christmas pic from 2011 & Christmas 2012 pic to show everyone the change in my body shape. Need to get my point across. You'd be surprised to learn the amount of scale weight I lost in those 12 months. Lol.

Good luck, be patient and throw the scale in the bin!!! All the best!! :)

Edited to say ATM currently eating between 1600 - 1950 calories according to exercise amount
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Um not spot on at all, actually. I scrolled back through, you have several days where you have more than one serving of crappy alcohol (Franzia, really????) and LOTS of salty foods, and a moderate level of sugar at the least. I would say you really need to re-evaluate your food choices.

That and the fact that your one bad day was almost worth 2 days of calories on your current plan is going to make you retain water like crazy.

Beat me to it. If you think this is rude, BACK AWAY from the forums NOW, and NEVER come back!
    There wasn't anything even slightly rude in this whole thread.

What you're saying is, "everyone console me and pat me on the back and tell me it will be ok, but do NOT tell me what I am doing wrong so I can fix it, ok?"

Because everyone who you claim is "rude" is just "honest".

I will add that they are right, and also, as a busy waitress trying to lose the last few pounds, you should be set at active and half a pound a week, eating more like 1800 than the 1300 you barely reach. Add the fact that you have little nutrition in your diet, you are starving for nutrients.
    Feed your body food. It will reward you.

And NO, DAMMIT, she did NOT GAIN MUSCLE!!!!!!!!!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Beat me to it. If you think this is rude, BACK AWAY from the forums NOW, and NEVER come back!
    There wasn't anything even slightly rude in this whole thread.

What you're saying is, "everyone console me and pat me on the back and tell me it will be ok, but do NOT tell me what I am doing wrong so I can fix it, ok?"

Because everyone who you claim is "rude" is just "honest".

I will add that they are right, and also, as a busy waitress trying to lose the last few pounds, you should be set at active and half a pound a week, eating more like 1800 than the 1300 you barely reach. Add the fact that you have little nutrition in your diet, you are starving for nutrients.

And NO, DAMMIT, she did NOT GAIN MUSCLE!!!!!!!!!

+1
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

^^ This. Hopefully I'll get an answer to my question.
  • LiteBrite007
    LiteBrite007 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have gained ten pounds since I've been home. Which translates to a couple inches off my waist and more than 2.5lbs of muscles. Oh and I am down more that two percent body fat.

If you are going to use a scale I suggest you get one that measure your body fat percentage, visceral fat, body age, bmi and whatever else you think you need.

It turns those "I GAINED TWO POUNDS (days)?!?!" into "I'm down 2 body fat percentages?!?!?!"
  • robin52077
    Options
    I have gained ten pounds since I've been home. Which translates to a couple inches off my waist and more than 2.5lbs of muscles. Oh and I am down more that two percent body fat.

If you are going to use a scale I suggest you get one that measure your body fat percentage, visceral fat, body age, bmi and whatever else you think you need.

It turns those "I GAINED TWO POUNDS (days)?!?!" into "I'm down 2 body fat percentages?!?!?!"

You DID NOT gain 2.5 pounds of muscle unless you have been lifting HEAVY consistently over a course of months. A female weightlifter can expect .5 lb a month gains, if training is spot on.
  • ranchel1
    ranchel1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your diary shows that you're eating a lot of processed foods - try eating more fresh fruits and veggies instead, this will help you lose the weight. Even if you're staying within your calorie boundaries, eating tortilla chips and pizzas aren't going to benefit your body. Be kind to it and it will reward you!
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    at the risk of getting a response similar to the one you gave Mokey...

The day you were over was just 2 days ago and you ate 4700 mg sodium iirc plus alcohol. Your 2 lb weight loss is most likely water retention, which can take a few days to get rid of. Eat low sodium for a few days and drink lots of water and you will probably see a loss or at least break even.

I echo this - I KNOW that despite a good day of honest logging, guzzling water, much as I hate it as if it is going out of fashion, a moderately portioned pad thai dish will clobber me with water retention (as my irritating Wii gloated at me this morning...)...
    BUT... I have lost 3% Body Fat since really focussing on logging, eating more healthily, exercising a little more, and inches of waist and hips.
    BUT IT TAKES TIME... not just one week...

It IS frustrating when you first start... and it really DOES take your body time to adjust not to mention your own mindset.

Stick at it, log everything and you know, if you DO have a bit of a blitz day with the alcohol on top, it happens. Just log it, move on and then over time look back and see how your body reacts when you eat and drink certain things... a lot of it is really common sense, and sometimes the numbers just backs it up.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

You DID NOT gain 2.5 pounds of muscle unless you have been lifting HEAVY consistently over a course of months. A female weightlifter can expect .5 lb a month gains, if training is spot on.

Sounds like you are just jealous cos you cant do it :wink: :laugh:

DISCLAIMER: SARCASM (for the oversensitive, wow this thin ice is thin.)
  • robin52077
    Options

Sounds like you are just jealous cos you cant do it :wink: :laugh:

DISCLAIMER: SARCASM (for the oversensitive, wow this thin ice is thin.)

Yes, yes I am.
    The people who are TRYING to gain a few pounds of muscle and have to work HARD for MONTHS and eat a SURPLUS to do it are insulted by those who think, if they do 30DS with 3 lb dumbells once and they gain a pound, that it's muscle.

lol, and you're lucky I love you Will, or I'd be telling you to kiss my *kitten*. sweetie pie! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    The people who are TRYING to gain a few pounds of muscle and have to work HARD for MONTHS and eat a SURPLUS to do it are insulted by those who think, if they do 30DS with 3 lb dumbells once and they gain a pound, that it's muscle.

yeah, but you don't understand... I'm different. I gain muscle EASY!

*** ducks under the desk ***
  • BrianBarrett79
    BrianBarrett79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You meatheads need to get back under some dumb bells and let this topic die! =)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You meatheads need to get back under some dumb bells and let this topic die! =)

???
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    "except one" <
    Herein lies the problem.
  • missyfitter
    missyfitter Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm going through the same thing - just don't throw in the towel! Ask yourself these questions to keep it up.

1) Am I eating more nutritious whole foods that nurture my body by giving me nutrients?
    2) Am I making my muscles and mind more healthy with physical exercise?

If you're doing those 2 things (and trust me - even strict diets allow for cheat days) then you will lose and you'll probably lose those 5 pounds in one day.

Give your body time to adjust to the 'new' regime.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    To the OP...just a couple of observations (I'm sure many will be repeats):

1.) I don't know what your weight is, but you appear to be at a healthy weight. If this is the case, it can be very difficult to lose as your body is pretty much happy right where it is. If this is the case an you're not happy with composition, it's time to hit the weight room and focus on that, not necessarily the number on the scale.

2.) Try getting some more whole foods in there. Processed foods tend to have a ton of sodium which will cause you to retain water. Your increase sounds like sodium/water to me. You would have to eat at a 1,000 calorie per day surplus to gain two Lbs of fat.

3.) Maybe try mixing your macros up, you're pretty carb heavy. You can manually adjust your macro settings in MFP...maybe try 50carb/25protein/25healthy fats and see if that gets things moving along. If you want to change your body composition to look leaner and more muscular, definitely more protein and hitting the weight room will do it.
  • AshleyLo_44
    AshleyLo_44 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    That's not unusual. If you aren't used to working out, starting a new exercise regimen will cause you to retain water. Furthermore, weight can easily fluctuate 5 lbs in one day, but you are probably only losing about 1 lb. of fat per week. Just keep at it and if you don't see results after a month, then start playing with your numbers.

I love this responce because it is sooo very true. After three to four weeks (a month) your body will be getting used to or already use to the workout routine your on and the wate weight will begin to drop and the pounds on the scale will drop. But do not just rely on the scale. Determine your weight loss from measurements as well. You should every week you weigh in take measurements as well to determine how your weight loss journey is going. As well take before and after photos every 10 to 15 days to hel you really see your weight loss progress. Hope this helps with feeling better.

When I started my water weight/muscle wirght caused me to jump 5lbs. Now I'm leveling out after two weeks into my routine.
  • Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It's the workout... you will see it in the next two weeks =)
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I don't have any different advice for you - there was some good stuff above. Especially that it is harder to lose closer to goal. I just wanted to chime in because, no matter what the "tone" of the answers, I think it is cool that so many folks took the time to really look at your diary and make suggestions.

MFP continues to rock. **Throws glitter**