The reason that I strive

Options
I have recently been working through some personal and spiritual things in my life. We are in the season of Lent in the Christian Church, and that is what we are supposed to do this time of year. I am a full time minister serving in a thriving and active church. I am serving God through the church, but yet I know that I am not doing what I have been gifted for, prepared for and most importantly called for. While I feel that the ministry that I am serving in now is important, it is not where my call or my passion lies. In evaluating my move back into Military chaplaincy, I have been faced with the same hurdle for the past couple of years. I have not been in good enough shape to go back. I am overweight, and cannot serve until I cease to be overweight. I am letting this lack of self-control over food, hold me back from serving God in the way that he has called and prepared me to serve. If being overweight and unfit is not a sin on its own, then in my case it certainly is. I have to muster all of the faith and spiritual strength that I have to reach for this goal. I am 36 years-old, and if I do not do this now, then it will eventually be too late. I do not want to live the rest of my life knowing that God had a plan for my life, and I was too lazy to reach out and claim it.

I have been in the Military before and served as a Chaplain in the Air Force, I know that this is not an easy life, and know that there will be difficulties, and I can face them....with God's help. The first step will consist of hundreds of steps of walking, hundreds of karate kicks, miles on the bicycle, and most importantly a lot of prayer and commitment to eat foods that give me sustenance and strength and leave out the fats, salts and sugars that my body does not need and cannot use. I must lose 43 more lbs. to go back onto active duty, and would like to lose another 30 beyond that to reach a healthy BMI.

Replies

• drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Well Chaplain - God sent you to the right place (or had a hand in it :wink: ) You will surely get to your goals. Good luck on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome aboard!

This is a great place to get the inspiration and encouragement needed to complete your journey.

Click on my signin name (laura80111) ask to be a friend...I'd love to follow your progress. I'm what I like to call a "Military Mom":bigsmile: From 2002 -2008 I had three sons serving active (2 army, 1 air force) now only one is left in the Army Reserves. If you've done it once you can do it again!

Laura:drinker:
  • veggieheadie
    Options
    With prayer---everything is possible. I started my weight loss last Feb. I weighed 250 lbs and felt awful physically and spiritually. I really do think that God looks at being "unhealthy" as a sin and he wants us to do the best that we can to take care of the physical bodies that he has given us. Sometimes we can't help being overweight because of health issues and what not, but not me----I had no excuse. I just liked food. I had to pray and rely on scriptures a lot through this. When I first started trying to be healthier a year ago, I couldn't walk more than a mile at a time, now, I can run 10 miles at a time. I still have another 20 or so lbs to go, but I know that I can get there. I pray everyday before I workout to have the strength I need to make it through a good work out and whenever I feel that awful voice in my head telling me it's okay to have a binge day, I look to Him for help. You can definitely do this and I think being a Chaplin in the AF is an amazing calling. It was our Chaplin during my husbands enlistment in the AF that saved our marriage. Good luck and way to go on getting started.