100 calorie packs..??

Options
So...What do you ladies think of those 100 calorie pack snacks?? I know friend who only ate those when she wanted a snack or something sweet and they seemed to help her cure her cravings and she was able to lose alot of weight. What do you all think of them and which are your faves???

I've been trying to think of healthy snacks I can get that are enjoyable. I've tried many different snack bars (Think Thin, Cliff, Odwalla.ect) and none are that good tasting. Any ideas???

Replies

• drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I use the baked cheese cracker 100-calorie packs - if I don't I would eat the whole box... LOL.. they do help. :bigsmile:
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Mmm!

The only ones I really like are the chocolate covered pretzels, but boy, YUM!
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I love the Oreo Cakesters snack packs.

Here's the thing about 100 calorie snack packs. I've been told that they are more expensive than just buying a pack of the regular item that you are actually craving and just making sure to only eat around 100 calories of it at a time. And while I agree its probably costing me more money in the end I CANNOT open a box of regular oreos and eat one. I mean, I'm on this site for a reason.

BUT if you can do it - if you can hold back - or if you feel like you could portion out the regular cakesters - or cookies or whatever your poison is - into individual zip locks and actually only eat one, I believe this is much more cost efficient.

Now.... if only I had a cakesters pack.... :)
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I like 'em! I have one (either Sun Chips/Doritos/Smart Food) on the GO Train home and I usually pair it with a V8 shot.
  • kas1021
    kas1021 Posts: 92
    Options
    i love the quaker mini rice cakes, theyre only 90 cal packs. the caramel and chocolate ones are good. i havent had one in forever. it seems that my cravings have gone away since ive stopped eating poorly.
  • marjaskow
    marjaskow Posts: 81
    Options
    A lot of the 100 cal. packs are empty calories, but still better than going for the regular cookies & sweets. There are some better than others. For example, because of the extra fiber in the fiber one bars, (they have 90 cal. bars now, very good) they will keep you full for longer.
  • volks80
    volks80 Posts: 56
    Options
    I love the Oreo Cakesters snack packs.

Here's the thing about 100 calorie snack packs. I've been told that they are more expensive than just buying a pack of the regular item that you are actually craving and just making sure to only eat around 100 calories of it at a time. And while I agree its probably costing me more money in the end I CANNOT open a box of regular oreos and eat one. I mean, I'm on this site for a reason.

BUT if you can do it - if you can hold back - or if you feel like you could portion out the regular cakesters - or cookies or whatever your poison is - into individual zip locks and actually only eat one, I believe this is much more cost efficient.

Now.... if only I had a cakesters pack.... :)

Agree with this but I love them anyway.
    Oreos, chocolate covered pretzels etc. OH and don't forget that rice krispie treats are only 90 calories and so are alot of cereal/granola bars
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    i love the quaker mini rice cakes, theyre only 90 cal packs. the caramel and chocolate ones are good. i havent had one in forever. it seems that my cravings have gone away since ive stopped eating poorly.

This is incredibly true for me. My parents were teasing me about how much I must want a cookie (cuz I'm seriously a choco-holic) and I realized I didn't really want one.

My husband has also found that most fast food commercials just look plain gross - even though we can all probably admit the food looks good - at least in the commercials. But lately they gross us out. Something to do with eating better.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Mmm the fat reduced oreos are only 100cal per 2 cookies. I find if I take the 2 out an put the bag away before I eat them it helps a lot =)
  • aly_313
    aly_313 Posts: 1
    Options
    Love the chocolate covered preztel ones!!!! They are the best!!!
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    Love the chocolate covered preztel ones!!!! They are the best!!!

me too.. but I find sometimes I want more then one pack LOL
  • ninaquelinda
    Options
    I like the skinny cow carmel truffles. 100 calories, they are around 4 or 5 dollars for a six pack but they are really good! The trick is to get to them before my little girl does :) I just bought the Ice Cream Sandwiches (Skinny Cow) but have not tried them yet. They have a higher calorie content... 130 I think.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    I like the skinny cow carmel truffles. 100 calories, they are around 4 or 5 dollars for a six pack but they are really good! The trick is to get to them before my little girl does :) I just bought the Ice Cream Sandwiches (Skinny Cow) but have not tried them yet. They have a higher calorie content... 130 I think.

OMG, I can't believe I forgot my skinny cow.

Seriously, I LOVE the cones. They are 150 calories. I can usually work them into my day pretty easily on days when I go to the gym for racquetball or elliptical.

I've got a soft spot for ice cream and these things are the best.
  • EmilyStrick
    EmilyStrick Posts: 267
    Options
    i was totally into them for about a week. there are a bunch of tasty ones, and it is easy to control what you're eating. however, if you are going for HEALTHY, you won't win with the 100 calorie packs, i'm sorry to say. nutrition wise, they're useless. i gave them up like a bad boyfriend....threw 'em away before i was even done with them!!! i am somewhat of a health nut, though, so if that's not your thing, then the 100 calorie packs are cool. but you know what else is about 100 calories (or less) and comes handily packaged? an apple, a banana, a grapefruit, a peach, a couple of kiwis, a huge handful of blackberries, blueberries, cherry tomatoes, etc.....
  • taryn_perry
    taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I think anytime you can have a snack that's more raw or a whole food, instead of a pre-packaged goods, you are money ahead in your nutrition and budget. :drinker:

Instead, I would say grab a handful of raw almonds or walnuts or apple with natural PB or almond butter, instead of snacking on these 100 cal grab bags. They have other ingredients that aren't really working with you on the whole nutrition category. Unnecessary carbs and sugars.
  • ideretic
    ideretic Posts: 38
    Options
    I like the emerald cocoa roasted almonds and Nabisco mini yogurt covered pretzels, and just bought but didn't try orville smart popcorn with 100 cal bags .. so I think it;s good ... the only thing is that sometimes when i'm hungry i end up eating 2 packs instead of one, but still I think that's better than what I did before ...
  • birgithooker
    Options
    I love the 100 calorie Keebler Fudge Stripe cookies. Stay away from the 100 Calorie Chips Ahoy. They are absolutely nasty and the smell alone is enough to kill any craving. Maybe that's not such a bad thing! I haven't bought any of the snack packs in a while but I love them. Also, if you have an Aldi by you, Aldi makes 100 calorie snack cakes. They are like Hostess cupcakes. Those are really good too. I gave up baked goodies like cakes and cookies for Lent so I can't have them but when I can those are a favorite!
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    usually I get sliced pre-packaged apples in 80-90 calorie packs.

You get soooooo much apple for 80-90 cals!

Also I eat a lot of baby carrots with greek cucumber garlic dip....a lot of food for 100 cals.

pack up 3 blocks of dark chocolate for 120 cals. MUCH better for you and the dark chocolate is so satisfying for a chocolate fix.

Get creative! You can have much better food for 100 cals or less than those hundred calorie packs!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I despise the 100 calorie packs of wafer thin crackers and cookies. What a HUGE WASTE of calories. Have 100 calories (or more) of real food instead and you'll be so much better off. They're pretty much just the disgusting manifestation of all that is wrong with food manufacturing and marketing.

As for nutrition bars, I like to eat them as a sweet treat sometimes or as a quick pick-me-up before a run. Try Luna -- they taste great and half of one is usually about 90 calories. They're not awesome for you and I wouldn't use them as a meal replacement or anything, but as a treat or as a pre-workout snack, I think they're alright. It's nice when even your chocolate dessert has protein, fiber, and lots of vitamins & minerals. :smile:
  • Jess522
    Jess522 Posts: 6
    Options
    Well I got alot of responses from this which is awsome. I have to admit that some of the comments made me a bit sheepish...I know that grabbing a peice of fruit is waayy better than a 100 calorie pack - but I'm sorry - a piece of fruit will not fill me up and keep me going. I've tried it. As a nurse who is on her feet for 10 hours a day I cannot make it on a peice of fruit for a snack...but maybe if I paired the peice of fruit with a handful of almonds then I could get by.

I like the 100 calorie snack packs because if you want oreos or chips you can have them and not feel guilty about it (as much). I know that when you want to lose weight you have to make life-style changes and not just diet. I've done the dieting and it never has worked. But I also think that now a days everyone lives a hectic life and it's hard to be able to prepare meals and snacks that are completely well balanced....so I don't think it's a bad thing that you indulge in the 100 calorie packs.