Fiber One Cookies/Brownies

Options
What's your opinion of them? Would you consider them a healthy snack or a dessert for only once in a while? They're relatively low in calories and fat, but are they a hidden diet ruiner?

I've been wondering this for a while. They're pretty good, but I don't want to get attached to a snack that's actually really bad for me. So what do you think? Healthy or not?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Health is pretty subjective around here - some, like me, believe you're ok with a variety of foods while others are clean eating purists and there are several in between. As far as attachment goes, you really don't want to depend on any product to get you through a diet because products come and go all the time. Trust me on this, I depended way too much on some great low carb products years back when I was on Atkins, then the trend faded and I was screwed.

Personally, I'd rather use my 90 calories on a square and a half of good dark chocolate...that stuff is never going away. :)
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    For that many bad carbs, I'd eat a chunk of dark chocolate instead ;))
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I personally really enjoy chocolate for breakfast so I usually eat one every morning. It may not be the healthiest thing to have but it keeps me on track
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    They are good, but I found the stomach problems that come with them aren't worth it.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    What's your opinion of them? Would you consider them a healthy snack or a dessert for only once in a while? They're relatively low in calories and fat, but are they a hidden diet ruiner?

I've been wondering this for a while. They're pretty good, but I don't want to get attached to a snack that's actually really bad for me. So what do you think? Healthy or not?

If it fits into your calorie and macros goals for the day and you want it, eat it!
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's healthy, per se, as it's got some chemicals in it. BUT, I do eat them as dessert when I feel I'm low on fiber that day. If I'm good on fiber, yes, I'd rather eat a good piece of dark chocolate.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Garbage. I'd rather eat a regular brownie and find my fiber elsewhere.
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I cant have them in my house unfortunately. They are yummy, but they are a trigger food for me. Ill have one, then another, then another, then something salty, then another one. :noway:
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    It is impossible for one food to be a diet ruiner. If you enjoy eating them and it keeps you under your calorie count you will be fine
  • FitCowgirl8
    FitCowgirl8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I keep them around for the times when I am really craving a candy bar or something else like that. They may not be the healthiest snack to have but to me its a lot better than the alternative so I figure once in a while is fine if it keeps me from falling off the wagon.
  • Stronger_Diva
    Stronger_Diva Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Fiber is a wonderful thing. I don't think chocolate offers as much, so I say enjoy yourself. Especially if you're not getting much fiber in other ways... which of course you should try.

Also the added fiber will keep you far more satisfied for a longer period of time, and as for me eating chocolate will just make me more hungry in probably 30 minutes.

Good luck!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with them, I loved them as a sweet something rather than eating the sugary garbage I was eating before. Like someone else said, there are people who shun prepared foods who will tell you otherwise, but if you are happy with them and they satisfy a chocolate craving for you, then go for it.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options

If it fits into your calorie and macros goals for the day and you want it, eat it!

^^^^ THIS!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Are they healthy? No- loaded with sugar, additives, etc. But keep it in perspective- most people eat the "bad stuff" they love in moderation and can lose weight and maintain the loss doing so. I try to eat clean and healthy in my every day eating but I am human and want sweets sometimes too (or chips or fill in the blank with other snack foods with no health benefit). Personally, my sweet of choice would be Lindt 70% cocoa chocolate.

So go for it, just don't fool yourself into thinking it is a health food.
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I seem to be immune to FiberOne and other similar "high fiber" items. And the taste isn't that pleasing to me. I will tell you a easy cookie that I find MUCH tasty from my Weight Watcher days (and I did reach my lifetime goal on WW... then I had 2 kids). Worst part is self-control around them. Nice to pack 1-2 in my lunch for a sweet fix at work.

Anyway - Get FiberOne ORIGINAL cereal. It comes in 2 sleeves (inside the box). Take a bag of chocolate chips (any flavor, I like the PB swirl, or better yet - the Ande's Mint Baking Chips) - and melt the entire bag in a big bowl. Once melted mix one entire sleeve of cereal until completely coated. Then drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper & let cool. The size is up to you but I get at least 2 dozen out of it and in WW they were 1pt each (I caluclated some I made this weekend that were PB & Dark Chocolate and they were about 156cal for 2).

Once they are solidified - they are ready to eat. YUM. Just an alternative to the pre-made cookies and brownie and I think they taste way better. ** All things in moderation in my book. **:wink: (easier said than done for many of us)
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I love them. I only eat one when I am craving something sweet & chocolate. I keep in freezer til I want one. I've had box out there for over a week & haven't eaten any yet. It works for me.I do make sure that I put in my Diary &the 90 cals come off my allowance for the day. :flowerforyou:
  • cregal35
    Options
    I love them! Just eat one for a snack once in a while.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My first go-round on MFP, i ate them everyday. They taste pretty yummy and quell my chocolate craving.

That being said, limit yourself to 1 per day, for the sake of your intestines! LOL Trust me on this one...that's a lesson you don't want to learn the hard way!
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, do not eat more than one in a day! Your Tummy will hate you!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I throw them in...but I have IBS so I need as much fiber as I can get. So for a cookie to have 20% of my fiber intake for the day, I am willing to sacrifice some carbs for the fiber. But I do limit myself to one every other day.