Trying not to pout...

Options
I just realized something...I don't eat awful. I'm always down on myself when I put an occasional cookie in my mouth or treat myself to a meal I want. But really in the grand scheme of things, that one cookie is nothing compared to how I've eaten the whole week.

But I don't get why I'm not the weight I want to be! I can't workout everyday due to medical issues so really my only way of loosing weight is through diet. I don't drink pop. I can't even tell you the last time I had a sip of diet pop. It was a while ago. I don't eat poorly. Never eat fast food. Always home cooked meals. Small portions. The scale never changes!

Now I'm on a diet for a bladder disease I have. I just started it. It cuts out so much food I can't even tell you. I was talking to someone else who has the same disease and she was like "Oh it was amazing! I started the diet and ended up loosing 50 pounds because I cut out soda and tons of sugar!" AHH! I didn't put bad things into my body to begin with so I don't know what to cut out to make my weight go down!

With this new diet I have to be on, there isn't ONE salad dressing I can have. I can't have any fruit. No preservative of any kind and absolutely no potassium. Nothing acidic. So foods I was using to eat healthy are all off my list.

I just feel so incredibly discouraged and different. Because I'm sick my body doesn't work the same way as everyone else's. I can't work out. I can't sweat it off. I have friends I am so proud of for their weight loss but I can't help but feel a twinge of sadness as they bypass me. I sound so rude...and I don't mean to! I honestly could not be happier for them. Even my mom is working hard to loose a few pounds, both of my sisters! And they can do it! But I can't. There is just no aspect of this that I have control over...I will just continue counting calories and see it amount to nothing. Not even being healthy...lol...

Replies

• drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor about this??? Are you on meds that may have a side effect that is hampering your loss? Yes, keep at it by all means... one of these days that old scale may just surprise you! :flowerforyou:
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    My advice is to check out a book I read called Secrets of a Former Fat Girl. I know not everything will apply to you, but a lot of what you wrote is related to in this book. It's a great read.. not about diet secrets, fad diets, or how to lose weight. It's about how to conquer the battle of weight vs. foods & diet. Available on Amazon.com. Good luck!
  • Draco_Bellatoris
    Options
    I am going to tell you that you are probably not eating enough. I know it may sound strange, but your body is a machine and it needs fuel. Most people need a minimum 1200 calorie diet per day. I am personally at 2000/day and with my work outs sometimes over 2500!

The more fuel you put in your body, the more it works to burn it off. If you don't eat enough each day, then your body goes into hibernate mode and stores whatever you eat thinking that it may not get any food for awhile...and that turns to fat.

Try eating 5-6 times per day (like every 2 hours) and eat about 100-300 calories per sitting. This way your body is always processing food and will get used to burning off the food you eat.

Also make sure that you are drinking eight 8oz glasses of water a day as well. That will help flush toxins out of your body. Find a 32 oz bottle and then fill it twice a day and carry it with you. It's hard at first but once you get in the habit you will be amazed at how much you miss drinking water. It will also curb your hunger throughout the day as well.

Good luck!!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Oh man...I can definitely see how frustrating that must be...they don't have a hugs smiley but (((((TaraMaria))))) for you.

I guess all I can say is, even when we don't have many choices, we can still be proud when we're doing the best with the ones we do have. Cooking your own food and eating the right amounts are STILL good choices, independent of the outcome. You deserve to be proud of every single meal you've ever had that was nutritious and not poisonous.

And the other thing is..I know this is a weight loss site and, for that matter, a weight loss society...but your worth as a person is not determined by what you weigh. Ever. If you will never be the weight you want to be, maybe you can take some time to try and want to be the weight you are. I hope that doesn't sound smug or critical or stupid..I mean it in a really gentle way.

Again, though, mostly I just wanted to offer hugs and support to you, this is tough stuff.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Why is it that when we see an overweight person we automatically think of sweets and junk food? Cookies, cakes, donuts, chips and the like are not the only things that can make us fat. Cereal, even whole grain ones, oatmeal, pasta, rice, potatoes, bread, all of those things can make you gain weight, if you eat too much of any food you will gain or not lose any weight, although it is hard to eat too many veggies by themselves. You say you are eating right and small portions, but are you measuring those portions and putting them in your food diary? Watch out for eggs, jellies, mayo, ketchup, peanut butter.....all the little things count too.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Thanks everyone for writing me! It was nice to see all your replies!

drvvork - I have talked to my doctors about this. I was diagnosed with PCOS years before my hysterectomy thus making me insulin resistant. My doctor has told me that we can either wait and see where I'm at when my hormones finally decide to settle down from the procedure or I can start back up on Metformin which helps with insulin issues. I only know that while this drug can help with weight loss, it has also made me very sick (puking, lethargic) in the past and I'm not sure if I'm ready for that right now with everything else I have going on.

MelleyJ - Thank you! I will have to check this out! I was just thinking about trying to find some sort of book to inspire/motivate me!

Draco_Bellatoris - You are most like right about me not eating enough. My husband gets after me about it a ton. With my new bladder disease its made eating even worse. I feel like everything I put in my mouth gives me pain after a while so I kind of loose interest, I actually just read an article about eating 5-6 times a day and was thinking about writing up a menu for myself to try that for a week. I drink nearly a gallon of water a day, no other drinks, just water. I've been like that since I was a teenager. Never got into the habit of drinking anything but water! So I guess that is good!

sofaking6 - Thank you so much for your kind words! And you are absolutely right. I just need to get in my mind that I am doing everything to help my body, even though its not the outcome I would like! Maybe one day if I'm not as sick as I am not I will be able to work out and I will already have the diet part worked out! lol!!! :o)

marm1962 - I sure am! I measure every bowl of cereal I eat to how many pretzels I eat. Portion is everything to me. With my new diet for the bladder disease I can't eat any condiments, dressings, or any of the fun extra stuff you can put on things. No parmesan cheese, sour cream, nuts, chocolate...lol...