Polar FT7 how accurate are the calories?

Options
How accurate do you feel the Calorie count is with the Polar FT7? I have been using the FT7 for about a week during weight training and during cardio. I use the total calories on the monitor as my total results.

These are the most recent results: 948 cal seems very high to me. I have double checked the settings for the resting HR, activity level, height and weight on the Polar page.....

01:12:40,
HR Avg: 139
HR Max: 174
Calories: 948 Cal
Distance: 2.2 mi
Pace Avg: 08:59 min/mi
Training Load: 166

948 calories seems very high to me!! I am 206 and have lost 25 lbs. My weight training is typically between 30 and 40 min with very little rest(30 secs) between sets and exercises. Then I hit the treadmill for at least 30 min between 2 an 2.5 miles. (today I did the first day of couch to 5K)

Gender * Male
Weight * 207lb
Height 5 ft 11 in
Activity level Top(5+ hours a week) *
VO2max / OwnIndex 50 *** no idea what this is
Maximum heart rate 178 bpm
Resting heart rate 60 bpm
Aerobic Threshold 133 bpm (set by site ( no idea what this means/is))
Anaerobic Threshold 160 bpm (set by site ( no idea what this means/is))

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I don't put much faith in mine. It says I burn 500cals/hr walking.

It's useless for weight training. The math inside is for cardio, not weights.
    When I used it for weight training a couple times, the numbers were insane. Like 1400 calories an hour. Keeping in mind at least 30-40 minutes of that was sitting/leaning between sets.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You can't use a HRM for weight training. Only for cardio. I can't be worn all day like a fitbit either.

That said, I like my FT7 and I use is as intended and I hope it's accurate even if there's a lot of studies that say that they can be innacurate by up to 20% for women ( very accurate for men) but also because they help me just keep my intensity higher ( which was my main goal when I decided to get one)
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Mine seems pretty accurate - I mean it's pretty inline with other calculations (MFP, gym equip, the predicted burns provided at my gym for their group classes), but I still don't eat all of them back just in case - and I'm not getting massive reads. It takes me a good 2.25hrs of HARD work to get up to 1000.
  • Ghadah88
    Options
    Don't know! I asked a coach before and she said fat people burn more than fit people. I do insanity workout and I burn about 350\40 minutes