Anyone training for a Marathon or upcoming race?

Options
I've decided to sprinkle a few short races this spring and prepare for maybe my 3rd marathon or my 2nd half-marathon. Haven't decided. Any Seattle runner's on here that can convince me one way or the other??

But in having a few side conversations with other MFP runner's, I thought I'd share my experience in training for my first marathon (Seattle Rock N' Roll) with those that may be in the same boat and wondering how to train, aside from copious of running....which isn't the best idea (shockingly).

Here's a blog article I wrote about my experience and worked for me (hint....P90X!): http://choose2befit.com/2009/06/29/my-journey-across-the-finish-line-with-p90x-–-seattle-rock-n’-roll-marathon-race-preparationtraining/

Happy running to all!! I'd love to hear other stories of success if you have them. Always inspiring to myself, not to mention others that may read this.

-Taryn P.

Replies

• stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've been training for my first 8k race and I am so excited! It's hard work but I am LOVING IT!

A marathon....hmmmm I don't think so at this point but always something to shoot for.

Good luckand keep up the amazing work!
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half-marathon in the august-september timeframe. Started training mid-january. Just allot of running and/or intervals training, but I'm starting to get shin splints and thinking I need to stop running until they recover.

I recently got a copy of P90x and I've been considering doing it but I already lift 3 times a week and I try to run (thinking it'll help me build up endurance for the race) and I'm concerned that I won't be able to do P90x and all of those things together. What would you recommend, Taryn?
  • taryn_perry
    taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I recently got a copy of P90x and I've been considering doing it but I already lift 3 times a week and I try to run (thinking it'll help me build up endurance for the race) and I'm concerned that I won't be able to do P90x and all of those things together. What would you recommend, Taryn?

I think if you are experiencing shin splints, you need to lay off your runs for a bit, but definitely work on your strength by lifting weights. I really think P90X is a great way to build endurance and strength, outside of running. Especially the Plyometric DVD. That one is killer in doing any sort of training. If you check out my blog article, you'll see an example of a scheduled I used to incorporate both. You can most certainly ease into it. Good luck, i"m here if you need help.
  • taryn_perry
    Options
    I've been training for my first 8k race and I am so excited! It's hard work but I am LOVING IT!

A marathon....hmmmm I don't think so at this point but always something to shoot for.

Good luckand keep up the amazing work!

Thank you! Definitely something you could shoot for! Why not??!! :tongue:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I am working up to an 8K or 10K race. Maybe over the summer or fall. I have a 5K race mid April, so not too far away. :smile: But I know I am well able to do that (I run 4.25 miles, three times a week). I haven't registered for an 8K or 10K race because I am not sure where I will be located yet in the fall (for graduate school). A marathon is definitely in my goals for by the time I am 30. :tongue: Maybe when I am 25! hehe.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half marathon in October. I've seen suggestions that you run a few 10K's prior just for motivation and change of scenery.

My official group training starts in May, but i'm already up to 7+ miles on my longer runs.

Good luck to you.
  • gym_rat
    gym_rat Posts: 94
    Options
    I'm training for the Seattle Rock n Roll!!! It'll be my first. I'm flirting with doing the Kirkland Half Marathon on May 9th but I'm not sure since I have a 20 miler scheduled for that day.
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I just started training for a half marathon yesterday. It is scheduled for mid-september. I have only done 2 - 5K's in the past and have another one in 12 days!! I believe that I staying on my training schedule I will be prepared for the half marathon come september.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half marathon in May and possibly a full marathon in October. I did two half marathons last year and my first full marathon this past January. I never dreamed of being a runner, but now I'm hooked!

WhyFlySouth - I have a great exercise for shin splints. It is very simple and clears them up very quickly. Let me know if you want me to send a PM to you about it.
  • taryn_perry
    Options
    What incredible inspirations for running races. I'm totally motivated to step it up. Together we'll inspire one another!

Cheers!
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    YogaRunner - sure I'd be interested in hearing about that exercise for shin splints.

The type of shin splints I have are posterior shin splints, they run along the inside of my shins where the shins meet the calves. I've heard that this can be caused by a bad pair of shoes, or bad arches, being flat-footed, etc. I'm not flat-footed, though my father and my elder brother are (so I might be slightly-flat-footed maybe). And my shoes are relatively new.

Any advice or exercises on it is much appreciated. Did the elliptical machine today instead of running, it was ok.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    YogaRunner - sure I'd be interested in hearing about that exercise for shin splints.

The type of shin splints I have are posterior shin splints, they run along the inside of my shins where the shins meet the calves. I've heard that this can be caused by a bad pair of shoes, or bad arches, being flat-footed, etc. I'm not flat-footed, though my father and my elder brother are (so I might be slightly-flat-footed maybe). And my shoes are relatively new.

Any advice or exercises on it is much appreciated. Did the elliptical machine today instead of running, it was ok.

You can stretch them out a bit with these exercises:

http://www.racewalk.com/Stretching/ShinStretches01.asp
    http://walking.about.com/od/stretching/a/shinstretch.htm

I stretch my shins after every run to make sure they are doing well. :smile:
  • steve2375
    steve2375 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks Taryn! I checked out your schedule on the "journey" blog. I started P90x for the 2nd time last week (1st was last summer). I began training for my first marathon several weeks ago and am using Hal Higdon's marathon training guide (novice schedule). I did legs/back on friday and ran 10 miles on saturday. That was the toughest 10 miles I've ran so far. I was sore and fatigued but pushed through it.

I am thinking that this can only make me stronger on race day. I am running the Madison Marathon (Madison, WI) on May 30th.

Your post makes me more confident I can make it. I was beginning to have some doubts, thinking I may have been doing too much by combining the P90x with running.

Thanks again!
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm training for an 80km (50miles) race 5 weeks away. Its great - I'm part of a team of about 30-40 who train together every night. We're all doing slightly different distances depending on ability. Gonna be my first race in years.
  • williams3023
    Options

Ok, so I may be slightly out of place here, but I've been a long time basketball player and I used to get shin splints really bad. I recently in the last year started training for half marathons and marathons. I've never had good luck with running shoes, until now. I started running 'barefoot' the beginning of this year and I absolutely love it. Previously I have run in Nike Frees so now I run in Nike Frees and Vibram five fingers. Every time the shin splints start to come back I will run in my Vibrams and the pain goes away! Its amazing. They aren't anymore expensive then a normal pair of running shoes, but if you are interested, check them out! I love them and currently have been running about approximately 30 miles a week.

Good luck to all training for upcoming races!
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Williams3023: I don't think you are out of place at all. I've read a bit about running bear foot and it is the latest intriguing discussion in running magazines and on NPR. I have not been brave enough to try it though. I would not have thought of it for solving the pain of shin splints either. Glad it worked for you!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon last October after training for over a year ... I was definitely was not a runner before. I even quit smoking to do the half marathon. Yesterday I signed myself and my sister up for the same even this year. I have already started running occassionally but will really ramp things up in the spring.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Also, I am thinking of doing Insanity at the same time but I'm not sure if I will be able to find time to do both.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I completed my first 1/2 in December (Las Vegas Rock and Roll). I want to do another half this summer ... or maybe a full! We'll see! =)

Read your blog! You are very inspiring!
  • luv2run4fun
    Options
    Yes--1/2 Marathon--May 22nd! They are a lot of fun! It's like a big running party!