How do you break the addiction to fast food?

Options

Replies

• RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    How I broke my addiction was by replacing the fast and easy meals I got with going through a drive-in with an equally fast but healthy alternative. If I wanted something fast and easy, I'd go to Trader Joe's and get a salad from their pre-made section. Something fancier than what I wanted to take the time to make, but still a nice treat AND HEALTHY! Or if my husband really really wanted to get something from McDonald's I'd get the grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo or the fruit n yogurt parfait.

Just know, no one is perfect and we all slip up now and then. I do have to say after not eating fast food for a while I don't really crave it much anymore.

You can do this!
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Meal planning helps me stay on track!
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    What stopped me from eating it so much probably won't help a lot of people, but I looked at my bank account, saw how much I was putting into eating junk for so long, and realized that I can eat food that's just as good if not better (almost always better) from home if I just make myself pack it.

I spent several days not carrying my debit card or cash around, therefore forcing myself to bring my own food. And for the most part it's worked. I only eat out now if my family or fiance are buying.

Great idea! My bank has a online tracker that itemizes all your expenses in a big, colorful circle chart. All food immediately drops into the dining catagory. I would spend upwards of $200 in two weeks dining out. Now I can use half of that for more food at home and the other half goes to help pay off loans. I now have money leftover every week when I never used to (not a lot, but my account is in the black instead of red :laugh: ). You can use a bit of your unused money to buy yourself something nice, like a new top with all the weight you lost not eating fastfood! :wink:
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I went into rehab
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I went into rehab

Finally, the truth! You told me you were suffering from exhaustion
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    here's the secret. Stop eating fast food.
    Damn. Beat me to it.
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    If you log your food then look it up before you buy it. You don't get much else if you opt for a large fries.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    yo1NS.gif

Now you're not hungry. You're welcome.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Fast food is one of the reasons I work out so hard - so I can enjoy it.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Fast food is one of the reasons I work out so hard - so I can enjoy it.

Something an addict would say
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I had a really bad habit of stopping at McDonald's on my way to work about once or twice a week and getting a double cheeseburger and a medium chocolate shake and sometimes fries too. What I did to cut the habit was to start ordering a different sandwich like the fish and a smaller shake or maybe even an ice cream cone.

Now I rarely stop and if I do it's more planned and not cause I just got to have it. The very last time I went for my "normal" I didn't even enjoy it and haven't craved a shake since.

I make sure I get my cheeseburger fix once or twice a month from cooking at home.

We eat at taco bell once a week but I go for the lower calorie fresco style tacos and again it's planned and not just cause my car is driving me there.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    i know it sounds cliche, and almost rude, but you do just have to stop. it's like any other addiction. if you feel like you can cut down, then try that. i was never a huge FF eater, but when i worked night shift, it happened more often than i care to admit. the longer you spend away from it, the more repulsive it is. i was super hungover the other day (that seems to be a theme lately) and thought burger king sounded better than gold....i was wrong. it was gross and i tossed it.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Just break up
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Just break up

HEY NOW!!!
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    oh and like mygrl said - if you want a mcdonalds cheeseburger, go home and make a turkey burger and sweet potato fries. if you think you want taco bell, make a bean and cheese burrito. they still have a decent amount of calories, but still a quarter of what you'd get there and none of the absolute garbage they put in it.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    This is really hard for me to discuss... I was in a relationship with fast food for ten years. TEN YEARS.

Do you know how hard it is to be with someone ten years and they never say "I love you"? I kept holding out for it, but eventually I realized I deserved better and I had to walk away. One day you will get there, too.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    yo1NS.gif

Now you're not hungry. You're welcome.

No, not hungry, but I want a smoke now...and I already quit! Curses!

ETA: Reminder to self, pick up some laxatives on the way home...or some Taco Bell, either one is fine.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Let something sit in your car until it spoils; that ought to cure you.

I once got an egg mcmuffin that had spoiled Canadian bacon on it. Then I forgot to throw it away when we got to our destination, so it sat in the car in the hot sun all day. OMG! Now all I have to do is see those golden arches and the smell comes back to me and makes me want to hurl.

Not that I was ever that fond of fast food but now I can't even think of it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    hard work

discipline

self control
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I just have fast food some times. Not every day - it's a 'sometimes treat' ... but you don't ever really 'fall off the wagon' if you don't give it up. Just build a healthy relationship with it.