Calories set by MFP too low?

Options
I increased my daily cals today. I was so hungry all the time and had no energy. I knew I would not sustain this for long feeling that way and I want this to be a lifelong change, not a fad diet. I went and calculated my BMR (using the post from Dan found on this site elsewhere) and my BMR is just over 1500 cals. MFP had my cals set at 1200 so I customized them to 1400. I'll see how I do with that. Some say not to eat under your BMR. For all of you who have been doing this for some time, what are your thoughts/experiences with this? I am also exercising daily (roughly 300 cal burn right now) and I am not eating those cals back. Am I correct in saying my TDEE would be 1800? Is it important that I eat those cals back? I'd like to lose 1 - 2 lbs a week but I want to have energy and not feel deprived either. Is that possible? Thanks everyone.

Replies

• reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I believe it is better to eat a little more than to starve yourself. Follow your body, if you are hungry, you should definitely eat. I keep mine at 1200, but I know I will go over 300-400 calories, but I keep it low so I am more motivated not to overeat and keep better track. If you are feeling fatigued you should DEFINITELY eat those calories back. You are also building muscle which requires more calories as well. Don't feel bad eating 1500-1800 calories if you are active. You're weight loss can stall if you eat too little so play it safe.