wheelchair

arfrazee
arfrazee Posts: 518
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I use a wheelchair frequently. Could pushing myself in that be counted as excercise? And if so, what would be comparable to enter it in as? I saw there is one entry for "running, jogging, pushing wheelchair" but I took that as a person pushing another person...I was thinking maybe rowing, since its similar movement...any thoughts?

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    I think the idea of puting in rowing sounds like a good substitute, but just my opinion.
  • pianoteacherevan
    pianoteacherevan Posts: 55 Member
    I'd just factor it in to your initial setup in terms of how active you are on a daily basis, and avoid counting it as "exercise" if it's a frequent everyday action.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Are you talking "pushing" as in you have to get from your living room to your bedroom so you push yourself? Or, are you talking that it is a nice day out and you want some exercise so you are going to go push yourself around the park for a half hour?

If it is the first one then I agree with pianoteacher.

If it is the second I would maybe consider looking into a heart monitor that could tell you actual calories burned. I don't know the first thing about them but I know there are topics on here that talk about different kinds and what works best for which types of exercise.

If that just isn't in your budget right now then I would consider going with the rowing - but maybe at an easier pace - remember that a lot of times rowing also involves leg work and you wouldn't be including that.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Here is a site that calculates for wheelchair basketball - I don't know if this would be comparable to what you might be referring to... http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp?exercise=47
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    If that is your primary form of mobility, than I would consider it in your overall activity level, just as someone who uses walking for their primary form of mobility. I wouldn't consider it exercise in and of itself. However, it is less efficient than walking, and you are using smaller muscles in your upper body, which will raise your heartrate more than walking in an able-bodied person would. Unless you have been doing it for a long time, in which case the "specificity of training" principle applies...a few variable to consider.

To be exact in your calories in vs calories out formula, you should try wearing a HRM for a 24 hour period which will give you much more accurate information on how hard you are working.
This discussion has been closed.