Weigh in? or measure?

Just wondering how often I should jump on the scales to check my weight? Or are measurements a better guide to weight loss?

Replies

• Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    First off, congratulations on beginning your journey to better health and fitness (assuming you plan on exercising).

Here's what I recommend:

Weigh yourself at the same time and in the same "situation". Whether it's daily, weekly, or monthly, I recommend weighing yourself first thing in the morning after evacuating wearing the same clothing type (most prefer sans nude). The reason for this is that one's weight can greatly fluctuate during the course of a day and the number on the scale can be very misleading later in the day.

Also, if you plan on exercising, take your measurements. While exercising and eating healthier, your weight may not decrease, but you'll lose inches off of your body. This I recommend doing no more frequently then every couple of weeks. I recommend monthly.

Finally, I recommend taking "before" photos. You'll be thankful for taking them as you continue to lose weight. It's encouraging to have something to compare them to. Take a full body front, full body side, and a head shot. Those seem to be the 3 most popular photos to take. Trust me, if you dont, you'll wish you had taken your before photos. Feel free to check my profile pictures for examples. I wore the same shirt in all 3 sets of photos. The first set was taken at 205 lbs, the 2nd set at 180(ish), and the 3rd set at 170 lbs.
  • Thanks for the tips - I am exercising as well as dieting so will take on board what you have recommended.

Thanks also for sharing your photos - you look fantastic! I hope I can stay that motivated :smile:
  • niecysj
    niecysj Posts: 12
    I agree with you Natalie...MOTIVATION
  • niecysj
    niecysj Posts: 12
    My first jumping on the scale since joining MFP will be on the 11th, I think I will be checking in on Fridays!!!
  • jontv76
    jontv76 Posts: 8 Member
    Depends on your mentality, I do both personally.