WEIGHT LIFTING

Options
I am very interested in lifting weights. I have 60 to 70 lbs that I need to lose. Would love any advice. And should I do more cardio or concentrate on the weights more.

Replies

• rhonda999
    rhonda999 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think cardio is the key to start off weight loss.
  • KaydaRN
    KaydaRN Posts: 48
    Options
    Why not focus on both. Split your time so when you lose body fat you will have some already toned muscle showing through. How many workouts can you commit to in a week? It's best to split up cardio separate from weight lifting, such as run in the morning and lift in the evening. If you can't look into HIIT for 20-30 minutes after weight training.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    To lose weight you only need a calorie deficit. If you want to look good and maintain LBM while losing weight lift weights, heavy ones :)
  • nfrewin
    nfrewin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    CROSSFIT!!!! Love it and is soooooooooo effective for both losing body fat and gaining muscle
  • jeffsweightloss
    jeffsweightloss Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    well, cardio 1st thing in the morning on an empty stomach burns a lot of calories. lifting weights burns calories while you are lifting and then continues to burn calories for several hours after. if you wanted the added bonus of more calories burnt..do cardio after weight lifting. you'll have used most of your carbs for energy while lifting and then your body will have to go to stored fat for that energy. just depends on what your goals are. you can lift and then do cardio on your off days of lifting. switch it up often to keep your body guessing and to improve your gains. muscles requires more calories to maintain...o the more muscles you have the more you'll burn off calories. hope this helps. always looking for new friends...anyone can add me if they'd like.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

You'll hear this often. Ignore it every time. What is needed to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Find a good beginners program and start lifting now. If you find it difficult to maintain a calorie deficit add in cardio as needed, maybe 2-3x per week. Try to make sure to get enough protein.

This is exactly what i did for all of 2012. That's the whole formula.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

You'll hear this often. Ignore it every time. What is needed to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Find a good beginners program and start lifting now. If you find it difficult to maintain a calorie deficit add in cardio as needed, maybe 2-3x per week. Try to make sure to get enough protein.

^ What I did also.
  • xcoyote
    xcoyote Posts: 25
    Options

^ What I did also.

And me!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I do a 10-20 minute cardio warm up, then Stronglifts 5x5. Sometimes, I'll do another 30 minutes on the elliptical after I lift... some days I don't. I'm in the gym 3 days a week. I'll run one day on the weekend for an hour or more. Cardio is great for cardio strength. Weightlifting is awesome for changing your body composition. I do both, but I've SEEN more differences in my body since lifting.

and I exist in a calorie deficit world.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Remember, a pound of fat just sits there, but a pound of muscle burns calories 24/7. Running a calorie deficit is the key to losing weight, and cardio and weight lifting are great ways to create a calorie deficit.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I am very interested in lifting weights. I have 60 to 70 lbs that I need to lose. Would love any advice. And should I do more cardio or concentrate on the weights more.
    Which do you enjoy more? Do that one. I HATE cardio, so it was never a good weight-loss strategy for me. Other than that, I'm personally a fan of kettlebells & use a site called Live Fit Revolusion for the workout routines.
  • imcatbear
    Options
    Things to consider: a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat because it is more dense. It is more expensive (calorie wise) to maintain muscle than fat. Therefore, build your muscles first. Cardio after the weight lifting will help move along all the lactic acid so you won't be as sore when you're done. (I had a really hard time believing that until I did it.)
  • oklamsara
    Options
    I do 10 min on the elipitical then 10 min on the stairmaster, after that 30 min for abs and 30 min of weights for either arms or legs
    :happy:
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I do 10min on the treadmill then spend time lifting. I sometimes run longer but generally I find weights more fun because I notice improvements more. For example, the last time I squatted 45kg but today I squatted 55kg. It's very motivating.
    On the treadmill I improve much slower.