Kind of want to eat meat again but not sure how

Options
I've been a vegetarian for 12 years. Recently, I've been considering eating meat again (with the caveat that I will only eat it from small, local, sustainable farms near me.) I need the protein and vitamins to fill me up, I'm ALWAYS hungry unless I eat like, 5 eggs, which I can't really do every day. And I want to cut down my consumption of grains.

But really, the idea totally grosses me out. I can imagine eating ground beef in marinara sauce or tacos, but the idea of eating like, a chicken breast, disgusts me. I never liked fish either...and I'll never eat pork. (Pigs are way too smart.)

Any ideas on reintroducing chicken and beef? Or any recipes that don't involve a giant piece of meat?

I sound like an amazingly picky eater right now, but I'll really eat just about anything...except meat.

Replies

• links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    What about ground chicken? We made this for NYE dinner and it was a huge hit with our guests.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/orecchiette-with-mini-chicken-meatballs-recipe/index.html
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    What about ground chicken? We made this for NYE dinner and it was a huge hit with our guests.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/orecchiette-with-mini-chicken-meatballs-recipe/index.html

I didn't even know ground chicken existed...thanks! Pinned it.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Kind of want to eat meat again but not sure how:

The same way you eat vegetables, only substitute meat.

Eat the things you like, skip the rest.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know ground chicken existed...thanks! Pinned it.

Yep! Ground turkey too :)
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options

It's not the same. I currently view meat the way you might view a pie made of flies (sorry to be gross.) It's..not food to me and I really know nothing about cooking it or eating it. Just asked for some advice, that's all.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

It's not the same. I currently view meat the way you might view a pie made of flies (sorry to be gross.) It's..not food to me and I really know nothing about cooking it or eating it. Just asked for some advice, that's all.

Why do you want to eat it if it's gross to you?
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

I love meat but I wouldn't eat a pie full of flies. If you view it that way then definitely don't eat it.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    If you think it's "gross" and "not food" then don't eat it....

.....I don't understand the point of this post at all...
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    If it's gross to you, don't eat it!

If you think it might not actually be gross, and you've only just mindfrucked yourself for the last decade, go to a nice steakhouse and ask for it cooked medium. Read up on proper meat cooking techniques (most people rape meat with poor cooking techniques!), cook it all properly, and then eat the delicious flesh like it's your job.
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Seems like you have been doing fine for 12 years, if you dont want to eat meat, then dont. Nobody is forcing you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Why do you want to eat it if it's gross to you?
    This.

I used to love a big ol' steak, but not the thought of eating meat turns my stomach. I have no desire to even try.

I'd be happy to offer you some ideas on not being overly hungry while staying veg if you'd like. I'm pretty much never hungry.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Introduce it slowly - the enzymes used to digest it die off when they're not needed. If you find it upsets your stomach, take a bacteria supplement.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I was raised by a vegetarian. Even for me sitting down to a chicken breast is daunting/unappealing. I prefer to eat stirfries and such for my meat intake. Bite sized pieces of meat, with lots of veg (usually a 1;3 ratio for me). You could start off with a little in a mostly vegetable mix, and up it as you find yourself more comfortable with it. Either that way, or in a sauce as you mentioned yourself.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    ".....I don't understand the point of this post at all... "

She said she wants to eat it because she wants the protein and to feel full. However, I agree with most posters-- if it's so gross to you and is likened to ' a pie made of flies' ... I wouldn't eat it. But- that said... start small...
    Maybe mix little tiny pieces of steak with pinto beans- and eat in a small tortilla shell (think: carne asada taco). Throw some onion, cilantro, etc on there- you wont even really know you're eating meat. Or yes, ground turkey patties are a staple here in my house.. chop up lots of onion and bell pepper and cilantro and garlic, mix it in and grill those patties up... so good. So if eating poultry is a little less disgusting- start there.
    Good luck
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I've started to eat meat again this week after being veggie for two years.

I was craving it.

I'm constantly reading new scientific and nutritional research (and not *just* the pro-veggie literature as I had previously) and have swayed my opinions and views (for now!).

I've always been passionate about animal welfare, but was in it for the 'health benefits' and not the animals to begin with, so it isn't so difficult for me. I know deep down that the world is a big, bad place and there is little that can be done about the needs to an end to feed a greedy, booming global population.

I'm only ever going to eat organic, local and/or free range meats as I don't feel comfortable supporting the factory farm industry, but each to their own!

*****If you don't WANT meat, just don't eat it, because you certainly don't *need* it, however our bodies are capable of digesting MANY things, including meat.******
  • blinkiii
    Options
    Well, from my personal experience of being a vegetarian, it's really not worth eating if it's gross to you. I completely understand where you're coming from in terms of always feeling hungry, but it you're only eating meat because of a lack of protein, there are a lot better options that don't include meat (: Protein shakes are always pretty filling. Tofu is amazing too! Try that! (:
  • kannd86
    kannd86 Posts: 42
    Options
    If you can imagine eating ground beef in marinara sauce, try eating it that way to start. If you can figure out what about it grosses you out, then you can figure out ways you might be more comfortable eating it. So if the texture of ground beef/chicken/turkey does not gross you out, start there. And don't try to force yourself to eat a lot, just have a little on weekends, then increase it until you feel comfortable.
  • tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try ordering something at a restaurant before you cook it in your own kitchen - go out with friends/family and the atmosphere will be much more enjoyable and less "gross".

Also just a note that if you are own going to buy from local farms then you might want to broaden your meat horizon and not just stick to chicken and beef - lamb is really tasty (with rosemary and roast veg yuum) and as other people have said you can get turkey, chicken, beef and lamb ground.

Things that might not just look like a lump of meat... sausages, lamb kebabs. chicken and vegetable curry, a big veg stir fry with little bits of meat in.

Also with regard to fish - you really should keep trying because it is even better for you than meat. Cod has a less fishy taste which can be mixed really easily into food. Also I know a lot of people who say they don't like fish but eat smoked salmon - it's so sweet, mix it into some scrambled eggs, yum!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    When the narrator in Banana Rose decides to start eating meat again, she gets a roasted chicken, sits down alone and eats the whole thing.

You could try that.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 12 years. Recently, I've been considering eating meat again (with the caveat that I will only eat it from small, local, sustainable farms near me.) I need the protein and vitamins to fill me up, I'm ALWAYS hungry unless I eat like, 5 eggs, which I can't really do every day. And I want to cut down my consumption of grains.

But really, the idea totally grosses me out. I can imagine eating ground beef in marinara sauce or tacos, but the idea of eating like, a chicken breast, disgusts me. I never liked fish either...and I'll never eat pork. (Pigs are way too smart.)

Any ideas on reintroducing chicken and beef? Or any recipes that don't involve a giant piece of meat?

I sound like an amazingly picky eater right now, but I'll really eat just about anything...except meat.

If you need filling protein packed with vitamins and minerals eat way more nuts and seeds. Oily fish is arguably the most nutritious non vegetarian option, maybe have a little flaked into a massive salad or pasta with a pile of green veggies or onto chick peas (garbanzo), you could dilute a small serving down, maybe also include some soft or hard cheese to boost the protein.

Ground beef can easily be diluted with a ton of beans or lentils and vegetables and then stuffed into a bell pepper, aubergine (eggplant) or field mushroom: chicken breasts are really not vitamin rich they are pretty low in nutrients so I cannot see the point in eating that if it disgusts you.