5'5 women-opinions wanted on weight

Options

Replies

• AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    We are all put together a little differently. Shape plays a huge part. I'm a medium frame. I started at 255 and initially I was thinking 150. As I've lost my goal has changed more toward 140 with some tone and lean muscle. I can't imagine being smaller as a majority of people think I'm already 'tiny'. Phht, never been a tiny anything! Lol! I do plan on making some friend requests for some fellow 5'5ers ! :-)
  • Bwandls
    Bwandls Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'd say 125 is fine. 118 is the lowest someone of our height and age should go to (i'm also 18-turning-19 and 5'5), but if you reach 125 and still feel too big, go for it! Just stay within a healthy BMI. :)
  • pookimonkey
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and aiming for 130 (but secretly hoping to make it to 125!)

I'm 32, my cousin lost a lot of weight quickly and it really aged her face! Hope this isnt something that runs in the family!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is yours 142 or just below at 140...at that weight I fit into size 8 - 10 UK clothes. I have built some nice lean mass this year so, hopefully it will look better on me than a few years back when I was lean but not as strong and fit. I am 38 and am told I look lighter than I weigh, I am also 5 foot 5. The lowest I would want to go is about 135...but that is me...

p.s. I tend to focus more on my bodyfat pecentage than scale weight, but sometimes the two correlate quite well.
  • Rachlovesfitness
    Rachlovesfitness Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Im currently 5'5 and 129..I am trying to get down to 120 with muscle :)
  • mcknight28
    Options
    In my profile picture I weigh 135lbs. And I'm 5'5". I was also wondering what is a good weight for my height and body type. I would like to tone my tummy area (I have two little kids) add muscle..... I think for me 130lbs or a bit lower would be ideal for me. I have no trouble with eating good, but the exercising is harder for me. Can't wait for spring and summer so I can go outside more. These canadian winters are to long! Feel free to add me as a friend : )
  • xxcooneyxx
    xxcooneyxx Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" exactly. I have never ever not been obese so It's also hard for me to pick a goal weight. Honestly, I originally put my goal on MFP at 149 because that would make my BMI not say overweight. I figure I can play with it from there and see what looks/feels good to me. I think it also depends on your frame. I have seen some girls at 5'5" 150 lbs and all the extra weight is in their gut, and girls at 150 lbs 5'5" where it's all in their boobs and butt and I would never want them to lose a pound because they look amazing.

jb0pkw.jpg

This is my before/after picture thus far (I'm actually 13lbs lighter than the after pic right now) I am 256 in the first picture and 196 in the after picture. My whole life I have been consistently told by people that I look like I weigh less than I do. I don't know if this is due to a Germanic build or having bigger muscles, but I'm hoping that maybe when I get to 149 lbs, I'll look like I'm 130 and maybe I can stop being at a caloric deficit.
  • Kassadeedle
    Kassadeedle Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and my lowest weight as an adult was 122..I looked REALLY skinny. My arms looked like sticks haha...I have a medium frame...My ultimate goal is around 130lbs but once I get closer to that I will likely worry more about body fat % and toning my body rather than the # on the scale :)
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" with 34DD up top and at 125 I look great to me Hubby likes me at 130 tho....
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" exactly with a similar build to the OP. My goal is 135 with plenty of muscles. I have been 125 but when I was that weight I had virtually no muscle tone or muscles period, to speak of. I want to be fit and strong, not a willow stick. 135 will have me at a comfortable size 6 with muscles.
  • fembotic
    Options
    I'm 20 years old and just under 5'6, and I started MFP around 140 - though at my worst I was about 5-10 pounds higher. I've been working out every day for just over a year, and became a serious runner this spring. Currently I'm 125, and I feel great!
    It just depends on your body type, and what makes you feel healthy. I looked very similar at 130, and I gain weight as I put on more muscle.

Good luck on the start of your journey!
  • KeriAnn06
    KeriAnn06 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I say forget the scale and how much you weigh. It's all about how you look and feel. I look great at 140 lbs and I'm 5'5" 3/4. I think people worry way too much about having a low number on the scale when its really the last thing that matters. If you like how you look in the mirror, your clothes fit you well and you feel good about yourself that's really all that should matter. If you want to focus on a number I would say choose your body fat percentage and work on keeping that between 18-25% for a healthy individual. Obviously lower for those who are just naturally slim people and those who body build and compete.
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" as well, my goal weight is 130-ish, but I'd be happy with not hitting that weight but building lots of muscle and being the strongest, leanest version of myself. I'm pretty "apple" shaped (I gain my weight around my mid-section), so I'm pretty happy with my arms and legs, but I know I need to work on my tummy.
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and was happiest around 128. I also have a curvy body type. I'm aiming for 130 but I think anywhere in the 125-130 range would be good. My profile pic is at 142 lbs.
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5' as well. When I got to goal between kids (around age 26) my goal weight was 144 and I got down to about 140. For me that was a good weight. However I wasn't very tone. It will more be something you will have to play with as you get closer. Depends totally on your body fat percentage and how tone you are and of course the "girls".... Keep making little goals and adjust as you go. You can always go back up a little if you decide 120 is way to low. This is a journey with various adjustments along the way.

Good luck
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    Go for 125 and see what you think at that point. I'm 5'4" and my goal weight is 150. *shrugs*

me too
  • amiscci
    amiscci Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5.5" and 50 years old and medium framed. I started MFP in March '12 at around 153lbs with a goal to get to 140lbs or so.
    That turned out to be fairly easy so I've reassessed several times and met my "ultimate" goal of 125 lbs in early September.
    I go to a personal trainer 3x a week and do mostly resistance training and light weights and what's left of me is much firmer than
    what I started with. I have been trying to "maintain" or maybe lose a few last lbs (and I can see how addicting the "lose it" mentality
    can be-- sometimes I need to remind myself that now is time to stop!). I went from size 12 snug to size 4 jeans :-) yay

I started pear shaped but now when I look in the mirror I see my shoulders wider than my hips and my thighs are not skinny but definitely well proportioned now vs my body. My skin does feel thinner and lacking underlying fat (I'm not sure that's a good thing as
    it accentuates my morning eye bags and I seem to be much colder these days). My belly is flat, however as I had twins I still have the battle scars and loose skin. It's getting better slowly but will always be part of my life (and I have beautiful 21 year old girls to remind me every day!)

I'd say that much of a target weight for 5'5" depends on age and what you want to see, but generally 120 will be pretty thin and up to 130-135 would look good too. I'm currently maintaining at 124-126 lbs.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Why not just set short-term goals of, say, 5 lbs, and see where you feel you look the best instead of choosing a random number? Or even consider body fat percentage goals along with it?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This really helped me, I've been cutting calories and walk 8 miles a day plus an hr of strength workouts.

Walking 8 miles a day? That is a lot. Remember, when you reach your goal weight you want it to be maintainable. Are you going to keep walking 8 miles a day? If you go from doing tons of exercise to little or nothing you may struggle to maintain.

As for the original question. My original goal was 150, but moved it to 140. For me, in the 140s is good. However, as others have pointed out it depends on your body. I have a bit of muscle. I could never imagine being in 120s or low 130s.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Why not just set short-term goals of, say, 5 lbs, and see where you feel you look the best instead of choosing a random number? Or even consider body fat percentage goals along with it?

I think she wanted advice from ladies; body fat is a bit different with lady parts. Thanks.