Friends ALWAYS wanting to talk about weight loss...

Options
More recently since I have dropped quite a few pounds it seems like all my friends want to do is talk about weight loss with me. They want a work out buddy, a nutritional guide, for me to tell them exactly what to do etc. At first it didn't really bug me and I am more then willing to give advice, I'm proud of what I have done so far I have inspired a few people I know to start on a weight loss journey as well. But always having to talk about it with my friends, its slowly starting to get on my nerves. Weight loss has already became a big part of my life in the last 5 months and when I hangout with my friends I want to be able to chill. Another thing it is like they treat me different, some of them act like I am a a-hole for eating a lighter choice in front of them, while others act like I am sinning by eating a friggen mozzarella stick. I know the easy solution is getting new friends who accept it, but a few of these people are important to me and I just don't know how to word how I am feeling to them in a way that wont offend them. I know its just going to get worse and worse you know? Has anyone else went through a similar situation??

Replies

• RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've been there. It does get better, the longer you are at goal. That said, I maintain on the low end of my BMI range, so when I choose a lighter choice on the restaurant menu, I do get funny looks.

I don't mind helping people out that really want to achieve their goals.

The ones that really bug me are those that want to know what your secret is, and don't want to put in any of the work that's required.
  • fIashforward
    fIashforward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    In all fairness, if you thought someone had had a secret and there was no work, would you take it? lol
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I despise being asked what my secret is haha. Sometimes when I say hard work, dedication, and calorie counting they're like "ohh" and are no longer interested in what I have to say.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    i get a lot of, "you need to stop losing weight, you will waste away". um, i am a size 10 and still overweight per my BMI. I am in no danger of wasting away!
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    If the friends are that important to you, they should understand what you're posting to us here quite easily. Just tell them what's on your mind.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yeah, tell them how you feel. If they are true friends they will take your feelings into consideration. But, from what it sounds like, they are jealous. And who wouldn't be? Give this website, and tell them that if they want to do what you are doing then you will support them 100%. But then to otherwise back off a little.
  • Raiderxx
    Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'd say just bring it up with them. At least the few that really mean something to you. If you mean anything to them like they do to you, then it won't bother them at all and they will understand. If they don't understand for whatever reason, then they probably aren't the best friends to have...
  • genkimomof2
    genkimomof2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I would tell them something like ," Look I love you and I don't mind advising you if you need that and you are trying to loose weight too, but you know, I want to talk about other things, like we used to do, and I don't want my food intake to be a major subject of discussion. If you can handle that, great. But if you keep doing what you are doing, I will not spend as much time with you anymore, and that makes me sad, but it's what I have to do for myself. So the ball's in your court. But if I stop hanging out with you as much, you will know why."
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    When people ask me what I did to lose weight I tell them. They really hate it when I tell them that I work out 6 days a week. Their answer is almost always the same "i could never do that!" I never said they had to, I just told them what I did.
  • SayLiLIG
    SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I would tell them something like ," Look I love you and I don't mind advising you if you need that and you are trying to loose weight too, but you know, I want to talk about other things, like we used to do, and I don't want my food intake to be a major subject of discussion. If you can handle that, great. But if you keep doing what you are doing, I will not spend as much time with you anymore, and that makes me sad, but it's what I have to do for myself. So the ball's in your court. But if I stop hanging out with you as much, you will know why."

^^^this
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I am older than dirt and surrounded by obese friends. They all want to know the "secret". Folks, it is just hard work and determination. I call it a lifestyle change, not a diet. Until they get it, they will not be successful.
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I wish people would ask me! I would love to help my friends and family anyway I can... I can see how it would get annoying if people are ONLY talking to you about weight loss though.
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    More recently since I have dropped quite a few pounds it seems like all my friends want to do is talk about weight loss with me. They want a work out buddy, a nutritional guide, for me to tell them exactly what to do etc. At first it didn't really bug me and I am more then willing to give advice, I'm proud of what I have done so far I have inspired a few people I know to start on a weight loss journey as well. But always having to talk about it with my friends, its slowly starting to get on my nerves. Weight loss has already became a big part of my life in the last 5 months and when I hangout with my friends I want to be able to chill. Another thing it is like they treat me different, some of them act like I am a a-hole for eating a lighter choice in front of them, while others act like I am sinning by eating a friggen mozzarella stick. I know the easy solution is getting new friends who accept it, but a few of these people are important to me and I just don't know how to word how I am feeling to them in a way that wont offend them. I know its just going to get worse and worse you know? Has anyone else went through a similar situation??
    Your diet with your friends will get old pretty quick just give it time. Its new to them so your new lifestyle is a novelty at the moment. just give it time. I just tell friends to go to MFP if they are interested. Shuts them up and I don't need to ask questions as they can find the information here. Hope this helps
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice it all helped, I think you are right I should just come out and tell them and if they cant accept it then oh well.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice it all helped, I think you are right I should just come out and tell them and if they cant accept it then oh well.
    My standard answer is eat less, exercise more and drink lots of water.
    And I invite them to join the gym where I exercise.
    And that's then the flood of false promises, excuses or worthless alternatives pour forth.
    I have learned that my time is valuable; I don't waste it talking to people I know are looking for the soft and easy path to nowhere.