Are 1200 calories a day too few to consume?

Options
I'm getting mixed messages. This site tells me that's how many I should have. I read elsewhere that 1200 calories per day is too few, not only in order to get proper nutritional benefits, but that it might make losing weight even more difficult as my body goes into starvation mode or something. What is the truth?

Replies

• dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Hi!

My body the last few weeks is telling me that 1200 is too few calories. I have been at a plateau for 5 weeks at 140 lbs. I was burning between 500 - 700 calories a day. So this week I have decided to up my calories and cut back on the exercise a bit. We shall see what happens. So my opinion is 1200 is too few.
  • amdb
    amdb Posts: 1
    Options
    It's not too few, but it's borderline. You go too far below that and you'll put your body into starvation mode, and you'll actually stop losing weight. The trick is to find the right amount for you: enough to keep your body burning calories (metabolism), but not so much that you're overeating. Too little, your body goes into starvation mode; too much, and you know what happens. 1200 cuts it pretty close, and honestly, it depends more on your own body than anything else. My advice is to go see your doctor and have them figure out how many calories you actually burn every day just being you, and go off of that. They have these devices which tell you how many calories you actually burn, and it's more accurate than anything else. I would bet the creators of this site would agree. You never, ever want to go below 1200 calories a day though. Ever.
    Oh, you could also go to other sites and try to calculate what those sites think you should eat each day and average it out. That's always fun. Good luck!
    P.S.
    Got this information from a Registered Dietician, so I personally consider it accurate, but please make your own determination. It's your body after all.
  • SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think yes. When I started this site, I was at 1200 calories. I got tired/sluggish and didn't lose a lot of weight. When I bumped up to 1375-1425 calories a day, I started to lose weight.

And I am just under 5 foot tall...lol
  • wartburgkate
    wartburgkate Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes. 1200 calories is the bare minimum that your body can eat to survive. Below 1200 calories your body goes into starvation mode and it actually starts keeping your fat so that you will stay alive. Amazingly smart our body is, huh? You shouldn't have to starve yourself to lose weight. Exercise is key-- and sometimes other factors like stress can make you stay at a plateau. I would try to stay around 1600 calories. Lately I have also been eating tons of antioxidants and I have seen the last few pounds strip away without really trying. See www.theo2diet.com for info!

Good luck-- keep eating, just make it good stuff !! :)
  • Jujubeez330
    Options
    It's not hard to get proper nutrition with 1200 calories a day. Under 1000 is asking for trouble but considering at 30lbs overweight I burn 2200 a day, that means I have 1000 calorie deficit. You have to burn 3500 calories to loose a pound. At that rate you're losing about 1.5 pounds a week.

Sample 1200 calorie menu.

Hard boiled egg with fruit for breakfast/
    Yogurt with baby carrots for snack
    Spinach salad with 1/2 a turkey sandwich, light mayo for lunch.
    Almonds and raisins for snack
    4 oz baked chicken with steamed vegetables and wild rice (1/3 cup) for dinner.

That would easily stay under 1200 and if you exercised you get to eat whatever extra you burn (think dessert, or Starbucks lol.)

Real quick add on- I have quite a bit to lose and only work out 3-4 times a week. When I lose some weight and my body is more efficient I will need to consume more calories to be healthy. This is a weight loss caloric intake FOR ME, maybe not for you. I think what's most important is where you're getting your calories. 1200 from 100 calories snack packs and reduced calorie snack bars or shakes is probably a poor idea.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I'm getting mixed messages. This site tells me that's how many I should have. I read elsewhere that 1200 calories per day is too few, not only in order to get proper nutritional benefits, but that it might make losing weight even more difficult as my body goes into starvation mode or something. What is the truth?

Maria - I took a look at your profile and it looks like you're planning to lose a good amount of weight. Are you sure that you put all of your information in correctly regarding weight, height, age, activity level, etc? Usually people at 1200 are pretty close to or at their goal weight. I weigh 270 and MFP recommends that I eat 1900 calories a day before exercise... and I'm losing weight at that amount. I would go back in and check to make sure that all of your information is correct. Let me know if you need help!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I think it very much depends. A 6' 25 year old guy who plays sports needs a lot more calories than a 5' 50 year old woman whose main hobby is knitting. There can't be one number that works for everyone...
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your height, weight, age and level of physical activity. For me (5' 3", 157, 64 years old, moderately active) it's about right. For you it might be a little low.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options

Maria - I took a look at your profile and it looks like you're planning to lose a good amount of weight. Are you sure that you put all of your information in correctly regarding weight, height, age, activity level, etc? Usually people at 1200 are pretty close to or at their goal weight. I weigh 270 and MFP recommends that I eat 1900 calories a day before exercise... and I'm losing weight at that amount. I would go back in and check to make sure that all of your information is correct. Let me know if you need help!

I agree with this - When I first started out I was getting 1590 calories - that was set to lose 1 pound per week.
    Plus - remember when you exercise you earn those calories back so that adds to your daily count you are allowed.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    For me, it's much too few. I burn 2500 a day, not counting the gym, so 1200 is a 1300 deficit. My RMR alone is 1800 and that's the minimum I need to eat. BUT, I'm a bit out of the norm, as my metabolism runs 24% faster than average. However, I was unable to lose on 1200 calories.

Everyone is different and you may have to experiment to find what works for you. Just make sure you eat enough to fuel your basic body functions.
  • justsalad
    justsalad Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It's good for me -- because I found I had a fluxuation

Meaning, I would eat one -two large meals a day and be way under thinking that was good, or I would go wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over in those one-two meals. Now I SNACK ALOT and stay at 1200 and it's just the right amount for me, i'm losing weight and it's working for me, and I find it's a good amount. Sometimes I go over, sometimes I'm a littttle under, but no more complete extremes for me.
  • johnmcfarm
    Options
    I think you are better off going up a little on calories...maybe 1,400 or 1,500 per day and burn calories...about 500 or more per day. Also, if you are going to stay at 1,200 try eating a little bit of food every couple of hours rather than the two or three meals per day. This will keep you digestive system hopped up and out of starvation mode. I would not go below 1,200 per day...
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi Maria!

I've been on 1200 calories a day since january 4th and as of this morning have lost 21 lbs. That's 9 lbs away from my goal weight! This has been really easy for me and I may push for an extra 5 lbs once I reach my goal.
    I won't preach, but the key is not only a combination of caloric intake and exercise but a mind set. You have to decide that you want to lose weight. Once you're past that milestone the rest is simple mind over matter. I know you are probably thinking, what is this kook talking about...but I'm completely serious when I said this has been easy. I have not been hungry once.
    I do not eat a bunch of cardboard. What I do eat is low fat, some low cal, if not, I just adjust the portion I eat. I shop the perimeter of the grocery store before I go to any center aisles. (the perimeter is where all the healthy stuff is...veggies, fruits, grains, meats and dairy. after all that, if I still have room in my cart, I venture to the center aisles for some mustard or low fat salad dressing. (many are really yummy) What I'm getting at here is to fill your cart with good nutricious food before and by the time you get to the cookie aisle, your cart is overflowing with yummy fruits and veggies and those double stuffed oreos aren't looking as good as they did before you headed to the store.
    Faithfully plug in each and every thing that goes into your mouth into your food diary every day. Even gum or breath mints.
    Drink lots of water. Go get you a real pretty wine goblet to drink it out of if your not a water fan...it makes it seem special.
    Start of buff up your exercise routine.
    Above all...be honest with yourself.
    Before you know it, you will have that beautiful, healthy body you are dreaming of...

I truly wish you the best of luck!
    Add me as a friend if you want...

All the best,
    Jan AKA PoeRaven

536659.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • maria181
    maria181 Posts: 11
    Options
    WOW! I will add you as a friend, thanks for the advice! ~Maria
  • maria181
    Options
    Your advice is what they told me at the gym, too. Thanks!
  • maria181
    Options
    Good advice as I am FAR from my goal weight. I will go back and double check. Thank you so very much for your help!
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options

Maria,

I've been doing this for 2 weeks now, and you'll notice by my ticker that I've not lost a cent - but if you read my goals, it will make more sense. Now the reason is much the same as what you're experiencing - alot of questions, confusion, feelings of being lost and what on earth am I supposed to do with all these numbers!!!! What I've discovered is that 1200 is a good base start. Track what you eat (and change what you're eating to whole foods rather than processed!) and watch the patterns. What I've discovered so far is that whole foods fill you up more (this is a recent discovery!) and after a week or two, the *amounts* in which you're eating changes. I've actually started measuring - something I didnt' think I'd EVER do - I really though measuring out 1/2 cup of cereal adn 1 cup of milk was just stupid. And guess what I did this morning? After adding some dried berries, believe it or not, it was pretty filling! Whoda' thunk, right? I used to eat 2 sometimes 3 brimming bowls!!

Don't worry too much about maintaining your calories at first - be organic and see what that nets you after a week or two. Don't go UNDER 1200 if there's any way to help it. I would guess (from another's response) that if you have a significant amount to lose, your system is totally accustomed to alot more than that and to go less than bare minimum would probably just leave you feeling sluggish and drained. Certainly don't want that!

I've found that my maintenance cals are *probably* somewhere in the 1200-1500 range but it's super hard for me to get in 1200. I've had two days of super healthy eating that I've gone over (today being one of them because people here made me eat breakfast!! LOL). I don't know exactly what it should be yet, even though MFP put me at 1200 also - and I don't think that this is correct. I am now giving myself another week to stay between 12-1500 and watch what happens and see where I fall most frequently, naturally. After that, I'll probably start to lower starting at 1500 to 1450, then 1400 and so on until I find that "perfect spot" that seems to work. And after reading a TON of posts on all this, I know that whenever I hit a plateau, to up my cals again. But I think it'll be a while before I get there. :-) Many have also suggested only eating HALF your exercise cals. I think I'm going to go with that as well.

It's a big difference. I'm not really "feeling" it yet in a positive way - but a few things I am noticing that's physical is that my nails are healthier, which reflects an increase in E, protein and calcium. I'm still always sluggish and tired because I'm not yet adjusted to the dramatic decrease in simple carbs.

I hope this is helpful - and I'm by far no expert. This is just what my own experience has been the last 2 weeks, what I've read, advice I've been given from my own questions, and so on. :-)
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later, I've been asking myself this same question the past week.