night time workout

Options
is it bad to work out at night like before your going to sleep or a few hours before your going to go to sleep? just curious! thanks in advance :)

Replies

• skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I do every night and the feeling after a nice hot shower puts me right to sleep! I have two hours of classes tonight.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym usually from 4 30 - 5 30.. I guess that's not night.. but exercise wakes me up.. so I have trouble sleeping. I know that's the not case for everyone. I wish I could go in the morning.
  • pksd
    pksd Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine it being bad, unless you have trouble falling a sleep for several hours. I usually can't make it out to the gym till about 9:00pm....workout for an hour and sleep by 11:00pm. Weekends I do workout in the morning, it feels good because you feel a sense of accomplishment thought the day, and no self nagging :)
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    i dont think its bad idea when ever you can fit a workout in its a good time. I use to workout at night I just do mine at 5 am because its easier for me and I get it over with. when I did workout at night I would get to tired by the end of the day would not workout .Do whats best for you.
  • bsmithmia
    bsmithmia Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Get it in whenever you can, that's all that matters. I workout at night during the week due to work schedule and the fact that I am not a morning person (i'm trying). After I get a shower and a light snack its nite nite for me. Weekends, I try to workout earlier so I don't have the nagging feeling that I have to workout throughout the day. Basically, its a personal preference and what works best for you.
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I workout at night off and on. Sometimes it keeps me awake but most of the time it makes me tired. Especially after a hot shower after working out. =)
  • lynn_hickey
    lynn_hickey Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do my workouts at night too, once the kids go to bed! In the morning I get on the treadmill for a quick jog and do a bit of yoga to wake me up, but the main workout is at night. I think as long as you're getting it in, that's all that matters!
  • kristanb05
    Options
    I used to stay up if I did anything after about 6, but now I hit the gym for a couple of hours at 7pm, then take a sauna and shower. When I get home I have a tea and something to eat and I'm BEAT. I had to go to the gym in the morning one day last week and wished it had been later in the day. I love it!
  • DivaMoe40
    DivaMoe40 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    That's the only time I can do it. I don't get off from work until 5 so I don't really have a choice. It actually helps me to sleep better at night. I get in the sauna after my workouts and that relaxes me even more. It works for me.
  • AndyStein
    Options
    I'd only be concerned if it's messing your sleep or if it keeps you exhausted during the day.
  • pink59eldo
    Options
    I think that each person is different. When I do cardio at night I will stay awake for hours. If I lift at night I go to sleep pretty easy lol. I know a lot of people do cardio in the morning and cardio/lifting at night each day. It's all about finding what works for your body and with your schedule.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    A moderate to heavy workout increases your cortisol levels significantly - it's best if you can relax and de-stress for a few hours before you go to bed. High cortisol levels can interfere with your body's ability to burn fat while you sleep.

However, IMHO, any workout is better than no workout for both fitness and peace of mind. If you can only get in some exercise right before bed, go for it!
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I only do night work-outs. Work-outs tire me out so it help me sleep, plus I have "weak" legs in the morning. The work-out makes the difference not the time of day it's done. Good luck to ya!
  • AngieBee67
    AngieBee67 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That's when I workout. I also sleep very well and end up having lots of energy in the morning. I guess it just depends on the person. Find what works for you and stick with that.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    only if it keeps you up longer than you want to be

I cant work out then go to sleep right away very well...I am too amped up for at least an hour or so

if you dont have that issue, there is nothing wrong with it at all
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I also work out at night. It works well for me. I also sleep better. I think it depends on the person and what works the best for you :smile:
  • fitnessgal1985
    fitnessgal1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Used to do it all the time. Then finish my night with a shower and a cup of tea or 2. Sometimes the work out would get my hyped up and wake me up and others the work out would make me even more tired than I already was. (This is coming from someone who had no kids or pets around her)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Get it in when you can fit it in. Time of day makes no difference at all. Even if it does have an impact on you initially your body will sticky adjust.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Night time is the only me thats suitable to our schedule. Works for us.
  • melissa44
    melissa44 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When I am REALLY disciplined I work out at 5 a.m. before my 12 hour shift at the hospital and feel really energized all day and the best part of it is that it speeds up your metabolism for the rest of the day !

But today... I was not that disciplined and got on my spinning bike for 45 minutes while watching The Bachelor lol, whatever it takes I suppose :)