diet soda

Options
Does anyone have any experience with eliminating diet soda and how it effects weight loss. I've read both sides online but just thought someone out there has some first hand experience.

Replies

• skinnyminiby2014
    Options
    I am wondering the same thing. I love diet soda and was able to successfully able to lose and maintain the weight I have lost while drinking diet soda, but I am wondering if cutting diet soda would help me continue to lose or lose more quickly. No one can deny that soda isn't really a natural substance to be putting in our bodies, but it is one treat I still get to enjoy...
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    When I cut out soda I lost 10 pounds.. that was awhile ago.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's not the healthiest thing you can be drinking but it's not likely going to help with weight loss by eliminating it. There's been some talk that artificial sweeteners make you crave sugar but if this isn't the case for you then it's not going to make a difference. I quit drinking it about 2 years ago because I was having some health issues related to aspartame but I didn't notice any weight loss difference after quitting. Giving up regular soda will definitely cut some big calories though!
  • HeatherStorey
    HeatherStorey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I can lose drinking it but I found that I was more hungry when drinking diet soda rather than just drinking water. Also diet soda has sodium which can cause water retention.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that you have to do what works for you. For me, sometimes a diet cola satisfies my need for something sweet and keeps me from eating something more caloric and sugar-laden. I have given up a lot of sweets and this remains one sort of "treat" that I still allow myself. Would my body be better off if I was drinking plain water--possibly. However the way that I look at it is that I could be eating/drinking something a lot worse for me than diet soda. I don't think that it has hindered my weight loss in any way.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I love coke but of course I couldnt justify the calories. Since I started MFP almost a week ago I have eliminated most beverages that arent water. I had milk one day and a diet coke another. But It just wasnt worth it to me. Even though DC doesnt have calories, I would just as well scrap it all together.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Diet soda does not have calories and will not contribute to weight gain. If diet soda is somehow causing you to overconsume calories you will notice this because you're tracking calories.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If it helps you with adherence to your calorie target, then it will be of benefit to losing weight, if it hinders it then it will not. It, in itself, has no calories and will not directly cause you to gain weight. Whether is helps or hinders adherence is a purely personal thing.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Been drinking atleast 2 (24oz.) bottles of Diet Pepsi throughout my weight loss journey (42 months and ongoing) and I have managed to drop a few pounds. There is no calories, for me there is no added cravings, and I still get in 100+ oz. of water a day.... Best of Luck...
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I noticed that I quit snacking as much when I quit diet soda. Now when I try a diet soda, all I get is a strong chemical taste. Of course, I still can't get used to the taste of regular soda either.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Been drinking atleast 2 (24oz.) bottles of Diet Pepsi throughout my weight loss journey (42 months and ongoing) and I have managed to drop a few pounds. There is no calories, for me there is no added cravings, and I still get in 100+ oz. of water a day.... Best of Luck...

I'd say you dropped a couple of pounds! You are amazing!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no reason NOT to drink it unless you don't like the sweeteners for a particular reason. It won't stop weight loss - how would I look like this last Summer/Autumn if it did?

15809555_8206.jpg

REMEMBER Correlation is NO causation. Water retenion from diet soda? Have you seen how little sodium is in one? Water retention is mainly from carbs in your diet, 3g of water for every 1g of carbs consumed.