Help-New to running

Options
I went for a run yesterday, first time in a while, and first time outside (only ran on treadmills before)! My shins are KILLING me is this normal? I didn't run today as fear I would make it worse. how long should I wait to run again? and when does it stop hurting like this after?

also any tips for a new runner would be appreciated.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have issues with this as well. Looking for some tips.
  • sassyfrass9
    sassyfrass9 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Probably shin splints. They happen to runners who change the surface they run on, the shoes they wear, or anyone new to running. I have heard that you should ice them and take it easy on them until they dont hurt so bad. I used to get them bad but not so much anymore :)
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Rest up a bit and let them get better. Shin splints are no fun.

My first recommendation would be to look into shoes. If you haven't, you should go to a reputable running store and actually get your stride analyzed and get fitted for shoes. I know some people say they've gotten rid of shin splint issues simply by finding a good shoe.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Poor form, if you run and land on your heel first you're sending all the pressure/stress straight up your shin which can lead to stress fractures, try slowing it down, leaning forward and landing mid/fore foot, it will force you to absorb the impact with your soft tissues (tendons muscles etc) not your bones and joints. Minimalist shoes force you into this style of running whereas shoes w/ huge soft soles allow you to heal strike without any initial pain. Shin splints SUCK, they take forever to heal and can lead to real long lasting damage, take a few days off to heal and then focus on your form.

oh and be warned, running mid/fore foot will force your calves to work a lot harder than they're accustom but muslces will heal and get stronger, bones will fracture.
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Lots of icing and stretching will help.

Might want to take a look that you have a good shoe fit.

Make sure Lots of stretching before and after the run, I still hurt ever once in awhile but it seems to help
  • stephaniethomas80
    stephaniethomas80 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    In the words of Jillian Michaels that pain and burning your feeling in your muscles is your body changing. I've been doing her 30 day shred and believe me I hurt bad!!! It hurts to sit, it hurts to stand. But I'm not taking a day off because if I do my body won't change and every day of exercise will feel like the first day. Just make sure your opening up and stretching your muscles really well beforehand. Hope this helps :)
  • lindsyrox
    Options
    Also, When I started running I wore traditional running shoes and would heel strike and get terrible shin splints, last year I switched to minimalist shoes and haven't had shin splints since. On occasion I'll get posterior shin splints but they're rare and not nearly as bad as normal shin splints.
  • RMeDude
    RMeDude Posts: 37
    Options
    Try this way to lace your shoes:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=4357246

I have been running for 20 years and switched to this about 10 years ago. It changes the tension of the pull(if that makes sense) and I have had no problems. Also try lengthening your stride.
    J
  • lindsyrox
    Options
    Check out this article.

don't turn to bigger fluffier shoes to fix your problems, our bodies were designed to work without shoes.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/249085-barefoot-running-shin-splints/
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    All of the above, and avoid hills if you can until you get used to running.

Lots of good youtube videos on good running form!

Good luck!
  • Jongfaith
    Jongfaith Posts: 195
    Options
    Stretch by kneeling and keep your heels close together ditting on your own feet. Ice and possibly better shoes.. Thats really all that will help. Sometimes going for another run will accually help rather than waiting for the shin splints to go away, bringing more blood to the sourse. Feel beter! Woo Hoo for the first run outdoors!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Also, When I started running I wore traditional running shoes and would heel strike and get terrible shin splints, last year I switched to minimalist shoes and haven't had shin splints since. On occasion I'll get posterior shin splints but they're rare and not nearly as bad as normal shin splints.

Thanks for the form tips. This might be my problem. I know I have a problem with getting my feet up high enough. So the form is probably the issue for me. But I have been doing Plyometrics to hopefully that will help me out in landing on my forefoot and not my heel.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Maybe you over did it... or the wrong shoes.... getting breaks is always good. Start out slowly. You can't train for a marathon overnight. =)

couch-to-5k-training-plan.png
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Rest up a bit and let them get better. Shin splints are no fun.

My first recommendation would be to look into shoes. If you haven't, you should go to a reputable running store and actually get your stride analyzed and get fitted for shoes. I know some people say they've gotten rid of shin splint issues simply by finding a good shoe.

This. When I first started running I got shin splints... Rest healed them up and new shoes prevented the problem from ever returning.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You might also want to build up your distance and time with intervals. Just stepping out the door and running a few k for the first time is very hard on your body. Look at the C25k or 5k runner apps to help you build up safely and slowly. Stretching afterwards is key. BUt anyone just stepped out the door and ran with no build up they will hurt.
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    you can do pre stretches that do help. I'll stand in front of a curb and step up on it, put one foot behind curb and kind of use curb to bend your foot back. You'll feel the stretch in your shins. You can use steps if no curbs are around. Also make sure you have the correct shoes for your feet
  • Sunauzun
    Options
    Sassy is on the money. What she said. I experience it when changing terrain. Best terrain so far, for me, is cross country. Maximizes use of muscles and saves your knees and shins! I hardly ever run on concrete anymore. Tread or grass only.
  • RMeDude
    RMeDude Posts: 37
    Options
    Check out this article.

don't turn to bigger fluffier shoes to fix your problems, our bodies were designed to work without shoes.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/249085-barefoot-running-shin-splints/

Designed to work without shoes...but trained to work with them since we were 1. If you have been wearing shoes all your life, now is not the time to stop (or go toe shoes). Tons of opions both ways, but I would get fitted at a true running store and go from there. Congrats on running, it is still my one true escape, and the road beats a treadmil anyday!!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    C25K~definitely. Breaks you into running easier. User friendly. And check your shoes!!! Don't try to run in your old shoes!!! That's just asking/begging for trouble!!!

Great job running today!!! I wish you the best!!!
  • amili045
    Options
    Good idea but definitely check out the site :) Often when something is uncomfortable or if we arent wearing the right type of footwear, in any physical activity, we compensate and the wrong muscles take a beating. Good for you for get started. take it slow and try not to fall to heavily with each stride because you want to save your knees.

Cheers !