What do helps you to lose Weight?

Options
I wanted to ask everyone what helps you to lose weight? How do you stick to eating healthy meals? I can't seem to stick to eating healthy and exercising regularly... I do well for a week or so then I slowly stop and cave and go out to eat.
I need encouragement and ideas that could help me continue and not give up. I think one of my problems is the scale. I weigh myself often and I shouldn't I know. As soon as I see the scale go up even by 1 lb, I feel like giving up because in my mind it stopped working... when really it didn't, it just takes time.
How do you overcome the mental obstacle?
I would appreciate any comments that could help me in this regard... Thanks so much!

Replies

• helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Put your scale away! Hide it somewhere - better yet get someone else to hide it for you, and only weigh yourself once a week. You'll get obsessed over the little changes and that's not a good thing, your weight goes up and down loads even just in the course of one day.

And set yourself challenges so it doesn't seem like such a big thing. Like the first week could be just to get your 8 glasses of water every day, and then build on that and the next week could be at least 30 minutes exercise every day, then the next week add another thing like make sure you do something else, and then keep adding and it'll all become natural!
  • 34mary
    34mary Posts: 1
    Options
    If you don't start you won't win! Look @ healthy eating as a game. A challenge. Your the winner in the end. Any habit takes 2 wks it break. Stay off anything white. Rice flour. Bread. Replace with whole grain. Start with 1 fruit , 2 carb per day. Leaning toward 50 percent protein. Prepare your food in advance. You will make better choices. Sweat! At least an hour per day. Make small changes. How bad do you want this ? How bad?
    Good luck
    M.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    it's hard, but you have to want it. I only had 20 lbs to lose and i had a hard time losing any in the beginning. I wanted to give up so many times! but in the end 1 year after i lost 20 lbs and i am so glad i stuck with it. I didn't exercise regularly, it came in spurts and i tried my best to eat healthy but i did have slip ups, etc and i didn't let them bring me down. i am human! I never cut anything out of my diet or i knew i woudl fail big time and fast, i just reduced everything, controlled portions and tried to make the best choices i could. I have not gone a day without logging unless on vacation with no internet access..... it's been 15 months now and down many many sizes :)
  • Allyice
    Allyice Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    When I started fitting into dresses I could never buy before because they didn't fit, or looked terrible... this really pushed me along. I like looking at photos of me now and not cringing :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    It looks like you need to have a talk with yourself. Create a diary, talk to yourself in the mirror, anything. Most people start for a week and then fall off the wagon over and over don't truly have their heads in the game.

Also keep in mind...every one's body fluctuates. Mine for example can go up and down 3-5 pounds a day. But that is normal for me. It has been like that forever. Stick to weighing in once a week, at the same time on the same day. Also keep in mind, some people actually gain weight when they start out. You are gaining muscle if you are working out and gaining. That is a good thing! Muscles mean higher metabolism, which is what will help you melt those pounds off.

Keep your head in the game! You can do this! When I find myself frustrated, I remind myself (and I do it to my friends a lot too) it takes the average person 66 days to create a habit.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day.
    If the scales go down, I'm encouraged and happy. If they go up, I try even harder.
    Doesn't work for everyone, of course.

Also; finding foods I do like.
    Not buying foods that are a 'bad' with the mistaken belief that THIS TIME I will have self control.
  • starlightsparrow
    Options
    I just started my journey to a better, healthier lifestyle. I hate using the scale because its stressful and i get discouraged too easily, checking it often like you are explaining. I would say just stop weighing yourself. That is one thing I am doing differently now, and it helps to not focus on getting to a number. Sometimes even if you lose weight, you gain muscle which weighs even more than fat. But it doesn't mean that what you are doing is in vain. Get rid of the scale, and just make sure you are getting all your daily nutrients, in addition to a workout 4-5 days a week. Even if the workout is not in the gym, it could be doing something else active. It should be lifestyle change, not just a diet :) I know for me, if I deprive myself of "bad" food I'll only want it more. I am going to be allowing myself to have soda one day per week, and if I do occasionally have a cookie or something its fine, I just have to remember those are treats and I can't have them every day. I think moderation is the key, and making sure you are filling yourself with all the other nutritious foods your body needs.

As for sticking to healthy meals, I find things I like and put them on a meal rotation. Cooking Light magazine has really great, easy meals you can do and get ideas from their online site. I try keep it simple, and the faster I can make it, the better. For example, one of my favorite lunch options is a sandwich using two pieces of toasted wheat bread, a little yellow mustard and Cholula hot sauce on the bread, turkey lunch meat (or fresh chicken or turkey if available), spinach, tomato, sliced bell pepper, cucumber slices, and avocado into a sandwich. It is filling and healthy and you can have it with a serving of cottage cheese or fruit or something. For a quick dinner I like brown rice, seasoned chicken breast, zucchini or other veggie, and salad. There are so many options out there... You can do it!
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If the scales go down, I'm encouraged and happy. If they go up, I try even harder.

Not buying foods that are a 'bad' with the mistaken belief that THIS TIME I will have self control.

^^^this =]
  • RougeIllusion
    RougeIllusion Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You have to find what works for you. Also you have to make the changes fit into all areas of your life. I go out to eat all the time and fit it into my daily calories.

I also weigh myself two to three times every week. It helps me stay accountable knowing that I'm going to be weighing myself every couple days and it's doesn't make me insane.

Be careful with some of the advice that you get on here...people will make you feel like you HAVE to do this or that. Just take the suggestions and find out what works best for you.
  • momm07
    momm07 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone... My first goal is not to weigh myself until next Monday. I am trying to focus more on losing inches. I also need to know what kind of meals that do not "seem healthy", but are very healthy... To start off with.
    I really wanted to thank you guys though for taking the time to respond. It means a lot to me. :smile:
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I think the first thing to do is just cut down the portions. You can eat the same foods, but just cut down the portions and calorie amounts. You will lose weight for a few weeks. Then start eating healthier options. You will lose more weight. Eventually add in exercise. I think if you slowly make changes, you will have more success. Hope this idea helps you!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options

^^^this =]

^^^ I am daily weigher.. I need to see those changes so I can track if it is sodium or something else that day. Some days I just want to eat junk but I will only eat a little junk just to satisfy that craving and when the scale goes down or I can fit into something that used to be tight..I get extra motivated to do better.
  • jbalistriere
    jbalistriere Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I look at my calories overall for a week. Some days are going to be higher but some will also be lower - as long as it balances, I figure I'm okay. I also don't deprive myself of the foods I want eat. If I want a piece of cheesecake, I eat it. I eat a small piece and then make sure watch the rest of my calories closely and put in a little extra time at the gym. I also only use the scale at the gym. I weigh myself once a week in the morning and since the scale isn't at my house, I can't obsess about it. I also measure myself, sometimes when you're building muscle the scale goes up but you're still making progress. Not that that keeps me from spazing when it goes up but I've learned the hard way that giving up over a bad number only hurts you in the long run. (Example - Five years ago I lost 50 pounds. I went on vacation with my husband and when I came back - even though I watched everything I ate and thought I was making healthy choices - the scale said that I gained seven pounds. There's now way that was really possible but it got to me and I gave up. Not only did I gain all 50 pounds back, I gained an extra five.... Which is why I'm here. I will never again let one bad number ruin months of progress.). It's cliche but there really isn't anything you can't do. So be positive, embrace the support that comes with MFP and remember that you didn't gain your weight in one day, so you won't lose it in one day. Best of luck to you! :)

I just realized my little ticker doesn't show up but for the sake of disclosure. I am seven months in and 48 pounds down so I can't be completely off in my thinking... I hope! :)
  • itsdonna35
    Options
    2 years ago I weighed 265 and lost 70 lbs in approx. 10 months. Gained back 25 lbs in the last year and now I'm here to get another 50-60 lbs off. In the beginning I set small, obtainable goals for myself as I was too heavy to do alot of cardio or walking because my knees hurt terribly. This is what I did to get that first 70 lbs off:

1. I stopped buying junk food and did not allow it in the house. My sugar cravings ceased after about 2 weeks.
    2. Stopped drinking soda - even diet. Drank Water sometimes with Crystal Light but not always.
    3. I made a goal of walking at least 15 minutes 4x a week.
    4. I ate 6 x a day. Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner, Snack. This way I never got really, really hungry.
    5. I joined a gym and started weight machines for 15-20 minutes/4x a week.

After the weight starting coming off and I could tolerate more exercise, I did more exercise. When I first stepped on the elliptical I could only do it for 3-5 minutes...that seems unbelievable but my heart would pound so hard it scared me. I built up stamina and slowly increased my time on that elliptical to 30-45 minutes.

Start slow and pick one goal you can obtain this week. Next week add another obtainable goal, then another and another until you have incorporated all the goals into your daily life. Like this week try to conquer getting more fiber into your diet or get all your water in daily. Next week set a goal to walk 15 minutes 4x. Then add, add, add.

You CAN do this! We are all here Cheering you on! You are Fabulous and will be at goal weight before you know it! :)
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    In answer to your question what are healthy foods that dont seem healthy I find that cooking at home from scratch really helps. I got the Hairy Dieters cookbook for Christmas and it has some really good recipes that taste great! I totally recommend it. As someone else said reduce your portion size. I think that's part of how I gained my weight - my partner just loads up the plates assuming I won't eat it all. Silly man!