Any suggestions for alternatives to potato chips?

Options
I've heard of kale chips or baked chickpeas...any other suggestions?
-Kay

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Slice regular potatoes or sweet potatoes with a mandoline so they are evenly very thin and put in the microwave on paper towel or on one of those racks with slits in it made specifically for doing this. Sprinkle with salt etc before cooking so it sticks to the damp potato.

Edited to say I never use any oil on these.
  • Sarahsue94
    Options
    I think Ive heard a lot of people like zucchini.
  • JDelphiki
    JDelphiki Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I make these daily. They are great and low calorie:

http://vittlesandbits.blogspot.com/2012/03/baked-zucchini-chips.html

Baked Zucchini Chips

1 zucchini
    canola cooking spray
    seasoned salt, or other seasoning(s) of your choice

Preheat oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick foil, and spray with canola oil. Set aside.

Slice zucchini into thin medallions, about the thickness of a quarter. (You can either use a knife & a very steady hand, or a mandoline slicer.)

Lay out slices on prepared baking sheet, and spray tops lightly with additional cooking spray. Sprinkle with seasonings of your choice. (A note on seasoning, however - use LESS than what seems appropriate. These shrink considerably in the oven, and if you use too much it gets very concentrated. It's better to end up underseasoning and add more later.)

Place in preheated oven and bake 45 minutes. Rotate baking sheet, and bake an additional 30-50 minutes, until chips are browned and crisped to your liking. These are best eaten within a couple hours of removing from the oven, as they start to get chewy if left out. One zucchini makes one serving (1/4 C. - 1/3 C. of chips depending on the size of your squash).
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Try snapea crisps or terra sweet potato chips. They are both VERY good though and I have gotten addiction and eaten whole bags of the stuff.
  • annebuta
    annebuta Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just found a good snack - I bought some "carrot chips" (just raw carrots sliced with the ruffle cut into a chip shape). I dipped them in guacomole. YUM and filling! Just portion out your guac....
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    roasted edamame pods.
    also, if you just gotta have chips, check out the Quaker multigrain fiber chips, like these http://www.quakeroats.com/products/rice-snacks/multigrain-fiber-crisps/wild-blueberry.aspx
  • melindainokc
    Options
    These are so good!!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    goldfish. Although only about 30 less calories, significantly less fat and new flavors like sour ream and onion and bbq that make it seem more like a hip.
  • FortAigle
    Options
    Carrot sticks, dipped in tamari sauce. Salty-sweet and yum!
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
  • meganreinsch
    meganreinsch Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This may sound odd, but baked tofu. I am a vegetarian and have discovered so many fun ways to cook with tofu. But if you cut extra firm tofu into thin slices on a baking sheet, add some spices and broil till crispy they make delicious tofu chips :)

I have also made tofu nachos with the above recipe but then just melt cheese, tomato's, onions etc... and you have another low cal fun snack
  • Vassyness
    Options
    wow thanks!
  • allforhipbones
    Options
    Special K Cracker Chips, Seaweed, Baked carrots
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    French fries.....:blushing:
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I who am a LOVER of chips and alything salty... opt for roasted chick peas, lentil crackers and lentil chips.:happy:
  • BigDaddy0825
    Options
    bump
  • BattleBorn314
    Options
    veggie chips, baked chips, dried fruits, rice crisps (like chocolate drizzled), multigrain chips, anything in proportion just about, just keep an eye on the serving size and stick with the serving size!
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    kix cereal dry....gives you the crunch......
  • b14a3w3
    b14a3w3 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like the Special K cracker chips too.
  • Enkibean
    Options
    Cigarettes?