Steve's Easy Alfredo Sauce

Options
Hi!

Four days on the site now and I'm really enjoying it. I thought I would share my recipe for Alfredo sauce. It is not "super" low cal, but it is a healthier version than what you would buy at any store and it is really simple. I have used it for years, but tonight I made it without most of the fatty ingredients I used to put in and it turned out great.

It has just three ingredients (plus spices) and is just the right amount to add to a whole package of most pasta (16 oz dry). I usually use Dreamfield's pasta, which has a bit less in each box, so if you do that, too, you may need to add more pasta, put aside some sauce, or just enjoy a really saucy meal.

Ingredients:

1 8 oz. container of grated parmesan ( I calculated using Kroger brand)
1 pint Fat Free Half and Half (Used Land o Lakes)
4 Tablespoons Neufchatel cheese (Used Kroger)
Spices as desired (I use about a teaspoon of garlic salt, a little pepper, and a touch of paprika)

Directions:

Put Neufchatel cheese into a medium sauce pan and add a small amount of the half and half. Heat over medium-low heat until the cheese is mostly melted. (It helps if you smoosh it a little). Stir in the rest of the half and half. Heat until hot, but not boiling. Add spices. Stir in the parmesan until most of the lumps are gone. While still hot, pour over prepared pasta and stir. For best results, let it sit for about five minutes and re-stir.

That's it!

I think the Neufchatel adds a lot to the flavor, but it will still work if you leave it out. The best part about this recipe is that non-dieters will love it, too.

A 1/8 serving size contains:

198 Cal
10 Fat
6.6 Sat Fat
614 Sodium (does not include added spices)
0 Fiber
6 Carbs
14 Protein

Stats for the entire sauce:

1585 Cal
79.5 Fat
53 Sat Fat
4910 sodium
0 Fiber
50 Carb
112 Protein

I will add it to the food database as well.

Enjoy!

Replies