Hi I'm Jessica and I'm going to be a LOSER!

Options
Haha! I am taking this online class that teaches you how to stick to a resolution and today's class was finding the right "tribe" to belong to to keep you motivated.

I thought there might be a few people on here who are in a similar situation as me who might be able to motivate me.

I'm looking to loose over 100 pounds. Here are my challenges (not to whine, but just for my own benefit of seeing it all laid out:
I live far from a gym, and rely on *slow* public transportation. No problem if I were single, but I have two young children and I work late as it is and if I go to the gym, they'll be in bed by the time I get home. I miss them:-(

I tried walking home one day and nearly died several times as I live on a windy mountain road (which is very busy with traffic) that has blind curves and no sidewalk in places (didn't realize there was no sidewalk in those places before)

EVERY time I announce I'm going on a diet, my husband undermines me and sabotages me. Like, he suddenly feels the need to bring home goodies that he usually doesn't bother with, eats them in front of me, insists I "try a bite" and then accuses me of never sticking to it. This time, I have decided not to announce I'm going on a diet. I'm just going to make better choices and he ever notices and starts suddenly bringing in junk food and inviting me to try it, I will throw the whole thing in the trash. If I do that a few times, he will get the message I'm serious and if he wants to eat that crap he will do it before he gets home.

I also need to stop worrying about wasting food and eating my kids leftovers. I need to serve them very small portions and if they don't eat it, just chuck it. This will be hard for me. I can't stand watching my picky son's dish of food go into the trash. I always eat it. I MUST STOP THIS.

There has GOT to be a way I can incorporate at least 30 minutes of exercise every day. I live in a very tiny apartment in Hong Kong (if you've ever been there, you know how TINY they are!) with five people, so exercising in the house is not really an option. Gym's not an option at this point. Walking home might kill me. I'm thinking of buying a jump rope and going outside in the car park for 30 minutes with my son for a little bonding /exercise time. But I can't do that every day. Any ideas out there?

I have been on MFP for a couple of days and I really like how I can track things with it! I hope I can find some good people on here who can join me in my effort to get healthy!

Replies

• NeverGoingToQuit
    NeverGoingToQuit Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 100 pounds too. I HATE the gym but I have a membership and plan on going again this Wednesday actually. My suggestion would be to to wal lunges, squats, stand on your tip toes while brushing your teeth, doing the dishes, cooking, or putting on make up. Before bed get down on the floor and do some crunches, stretches, knee raises and stuff like that. Little things that you can do while working or cleaning up after your children. DVD workouts can be your friend too! Hope this helps. Will be sending you a friend request as well~!
  • starr68
    starr68 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are very motivated. Good for you on your plan to not tell your Husband and enable him to derail you. I have no idea what your surroundings are like but I wonder if there is a park close by? Take the kids or just your son and have them "play" with you for 15 munutes. I am giving you pointers that I myself do not use and I need to start following my own advice. I have a foot injury an need to find some creative ways to exercise. Good luck on your journey!
  • teach722
    teach722 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Jessica, It seems like you have alot of things working against you but I do think you can do it. I too am new to this site, with over 150 lbs. to lose. Slow and steady wins the race, right? Some suggestions for you:
    --jumping rope is a great excercise, and your children will probably enjoy it.
    --any steps you can do, at your apartment or at work do as many as you can as quickly as you can. They really get my heart rate going
    --run in place? I know boring, but you can have hand weights and do them at the same time
    --squats

As for your husband, I am sorry for you that he isn't supportive. That makes it tougher, but not impossible.

Feel free to friend me.
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You're at the right place. MFP really does work. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Dianemustang
    Options
    I agree with NeverGoingToQ - or how about a mini trampoline - DVD's are great....don't get killed walking...on weekends maybe a park with the kids?...have them join you in exercise, too. Agreed, don't tell hubby about diet...just do it....good idea throwing his "gifts" out....the kids plates will be the hardest...long ago when mine were little that is what I did and gained 100 lbs....I know I am older but if you want a friend, I am here....I have lost 68 lbs. my profile says 18, but I did the first 50 myself, walking and counting calories - the 50 came off in 7 months in 2007 and have kept it off....figured with grandchildren, I needed to lose the other 50....Best of luck my dear. Diane
  • hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Welcome...and yes this site does really work :)
  • basia1bishop
    Options
    Hi Jessica, I just read your post and thought that was me! We have a lot of similarities. I have over 100 pounds to lose. I have 2 young kids where I can't go to the gym because I work late and they would be in bed. I hope we can try to go on this journey and pump each other up. My name is Barb. First day, I am so hungry right now but drinking water. keep up the good work.
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I I was going to say take your kids to the park, also I have a wii and there is good and fun dancing or exercises on there, feel free to add me as your friend
  • bcraigrncen
    bcraigrncen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Is there a park near by where you could take the kids with you? Stairs you could climb. There are free on line videos that are anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes.

As for the husband sabotaging your effort. Sometime when it is calm and before he starts bringing junk into your house, just sit down and explain you are doing this for him, your children and yourself. Make him part of your team! Ask for ideas on leaner meals you could eat. Get his input on exercise and when he has a good suggestion let him know. Tell him how much you need him to help you. He is your life partner, you are each other's help mates. Let him know you need him! Compliment his efforts to help you when you are around your friends and family.
  • Jessmiloo
    Options
    I also need to stop worrying about wasting food and eating my kids leftovers. I need to serve them very small portions and if they don't eat it, just chuck it. This will be hard for me. I can't stand watching my picky son's dish of food go into the trash. I always eat it. I MUST STOP THIS.

I do this all the time.It's a bad habit and I'm working hard to break it. I once added all my nibbles up and it was over 300 calories!
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest running up and down the stairs at your apt complex. even if its only one flight and its done over and over. Or are there hallways in the building you can sprint- run down and walk back. Maybe add in some - oh what do you call them - you know where you touch the ground at each end? Can you walk part of the road with your kids after dinner or on weekends? Or is there a fun place to go that you can walk to? Maybe to the grocery or drug store?

I love your idea for your husband. I do not know why some people have to try to make others fail. Just not very mature or a loving thing to do in my opinion.

I am well on my journey to losing 175 pounds here. Anyone needing a friend feel free to add me.
  • tallvanurse
    tallvanurse Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think serving your children small portions is a brilliant idea. IF they finish that and want more that's okay but, hopefully, you won't have to worry about waste. I come from a "clean your plate" upbringing as well. Before anyone jumps on that comment, no I'm not blaming my parents. I'd be hard pressed to find a kid that wasn't brought up that way where I'm from. Anyway, I've started being very vigilant about serving sizes....getting out the food scale and measuring cups. As far as the junk food, I think getting rid of that is a good idea too. I sent a request and am very willing to be a source of encouragement! Good luck!
  • Haima
    Haima Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your on the right track! I think that you will find that even watching what you eat will help alot in your weight loss journey.Good luck: )
  • GettingHealthy2013
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I need to lose 100 pounds