Need lower carb snack ideas!

Options
CM9178
CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
So, usually after dinner, I want a snack before I go to bed, and by then I've eaten most of my carbs for the day. So I'm looking for some lower carb snack ideas that I can have at night.
Keep in mind, I don't like Raw veggies!

I also don't want to eat an egg at night, and I'd prefer it to be something filling.

If I wasn't going for lower carb, I'd have greek yogurt (but Chobani is 20g of carbs - way too much), or I'd have cheese and crackers, popcorn or some rice cakes.

Do I have any other options? I feel like there is nothing else!

Replies

• Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Celery with peanut butter
    Celery with tuna salad
    Hard boiled eggs
    Deviled eggs
    Dill pickles and cheddar cheese (no kidding, it's a great combo)
    1/4 cup berries with 1/3 cup cottage cheese
    Nuts (keep raw ones in the freezer if you think you'll overeat them)
    Sunflower seeds (get them in the shell so it will take longer to eat them)
    Other seeds (How to Toast Pumpkin or Squash Seeds)
    Low-Carb Trail Mix
    Jerky (beef or turkey -- try to find low-sugar varieties)
    Low-carb shakes
    Cheese sticks, such as string cheese
    Sugar-free Jello, alone or with cottage cheese and a sprinkling of nuts
    Make sugar-free lime Jello with part coconut milk -- For a large package, dissolve the powder in a cup of boiling water, add a can of coconut milk, and then add the rest of the water. Stir well.
    Pepperoni "chips" -- Zap the slices in the microwave
    Cheese with a few apple slices
    4-ounce plain or sugar-free yogurt with berries and flax seed meal
    Smoked salmon and cream cheese on cucumber slices
    Lettuce Roll-ups -- Roll luncheon meat, egg salad, tuna or other filling and veggies in lettuce leaves
    Lunch Meat Roll-ups -- Roll cheese or veggies in lunch meat (read the labels for carbs on the lunch meat)
    Spread bean dip, spinach dip, or other low-carb dip or spread on the lunch meat or lettuce and then roll it up
    Raw veggies and spinach dip, or other low-carb dip
    Pork rinds, with or without dip
    Ricotta cheese with fruit and/or nuts and/or flax seed meal
    Mushrooms with cheese spread inside (or other spreads or dips)
    Low-carb snack bars (watch out for sugar alcohols, especially maltitol)
    Product Review: Atkins Advantage Bars
    Pepperoni Chips -- Microwave pepperoni slices until crisp. Great with cheeses and dips
    Garlic Parmesan Flax Seed Crackers
    Parmesan Crisps -- Good when you want a crunchy snack.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup of walnuts (200 calories) is only 4 carbs. Most of it's calories are in fats but they're super good for you fats. Walnuts are supposed to be one of the best for you of the more common nuts.
  • munzaga
    munzaga Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    not to different from previous poster but here are a few of my favs

You can spread cheese out on wax paper and microwave or broil it and it turns into a yummy crisp.
    you can take sliced deli meat-smear a little cream cheese on it, roll it up and nom nom nom
    take a lettuce leaf-put fav deli meat in it and some spicy mustard and roll
    pre-make mini meatloaf or quiche muffins-store in the freezer and nook when you need a snack
    If you want a sweet treat, mix coconut oil, cocoa, a lil sf peanut butter and a packet of splenda put in the freezer for ten minutes and enjoy
  • CM9178
    Options
    Celery with tuna salad
    Hard boiled eggs
    Deviled eggs
    Low-Carb Trail Mix
    Low-carb shakes
    Make sugar-free lime Jello with part coconut milk -- For a large package, dissolve the powder in a cup of boiling water, add a can of coconut milk, and then add the rest of the water. Stir well.
    Lettuce Roll-ups -- Roll luncheon meat, egg salad, tuna or other filling and veggies in lettuce leaves
    Lunch Meat Roll-ups -- Roll cheese or veggies in lunch meat (read the labels for carbs on the lunch meat)
    Spread bean dip, spinach dip, or other low-carb dip or spread on the lunch meat or lettuce and then roll it up
    Pepperoni Chips -- Microwave pepperoni slices until crisp. Great with cheeses and dips
    Thanks for the list, however, as I mentioned, I don't like raw veggies so that eliminates a very large part of your list.
    I also mentioned I don't want to eat an egg for a snack. Maybe I'm a picky eater (I don't think I am) but I probably wouldn't like most of the things on that list.
    I think the only things in the list that I would actually eat are string cheese or Jell-o and I don't find either of them as filling snacks.
  • CM9178
    Options
    1/4 cup of walnuts (200 calories) is only 4 carbs. Most of it's calories are in fats but they're super good for you fats. Walnuts are supposed to be one of the best for you of the more common nuts.
    True, but I don't like walnuts either... don't really like any nuts, unless they are salted peanuts.
  • CM9178
    Options

You can spread cheese out on wax paper and microwave or broil it and it turns into a yummy crisp.
    you can take sliced deli meat-smear a little cream cheese on it, roll it up and nom nom nom
    pre-make mini meatloaf or quiche muffins-store in the freezer and nook when you need a snack
    If you want a sweet treat, mix coconut oil, cocoa, a lil sf peanut butter and a packet of splenda put in the freezer for ten minutes and enjoy

These are all good ideas.. I guess my issue is quantity.. to me, a snack feels more filling if there is more of it - so it feels more substantial - if that makes sense. So to me, eating one little piece of deli- meat with cheese on it is not going to satisfy me whatsover. I'd want like 4 of them. lol.
  • munzaga
    Options

These are all good ideas.. I guess my issue is quantity.. to me, a snack feels more filling if there is more of it - so it feels more substantial - if that makes sense. So to me, eating one little piece of deli- meat with cheese on it is not going to satisfy me whatsover. I'd want like 4 of them. lol.

Well then, have 4 of them, if you are low carbing-just make it happen.
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Wow you are a picky eater. Try some new things you might discover something GREAT
  • nillapup
    nillapup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Nice list
    Celery with tuna salad
    Hard boiled eggs
    Deviled eggs
    Low-Carb Trail Mix
    Low-carb shakes
  • rizabar
    rizabar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love my casein. I use ON chocolate cake batter it's so delicious and it keeps me full before bedtime. It only has 3g of carbs. Good luck!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Is there a Trader Joe's or an Asian grocery nearby? They have stuff like wasabi seaweed snacks; virtually no calories in those but they are very flavorful and have vitamins.

Also, pistachios. I know you said you do not like nuts--but who doesn't like pistachios, right?

Lean chicken breast perhaps?

To address the bigger issue... I know it's not the answer you are looking for, but you could try to work on retraining your palate away from sugar and carbs in general. I find that the less simple carbs I eat, the less I want them. Mind you, I still get plenty to have energy to exercise and function, but I do not have major carb cravings.

Anyway, off my high horse.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I just discovered Piller's - Turkey Pepperettes , 1 stick (25g) 50calories 1carb 3fat goes pretty good with cheese i usually eat brie.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I usually don't worry as much about complex carbs as much as simple carbs. However, I usually like chicken salad that i make myself, peanut butter on anything, or cheese covered veggies. The cauliflower pizza i had today was really good and there's a recipe for it on pinterest. And the turkey pepperoni from giant eagle is good on it too!
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    A couple of ozs. of beef jerky is less than 200 calories.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You mentioned yogurt... yes.. most yogurt is really high in carbs. However, if you buy plain greek yogurt and flavour it yourself you can avoid this!! My favourite combination is epsresso powder + splenda, but I also have a few different zero calorie torani syrups (vanilla, hazelnut, etc). Sometimes I will throw in a small handful of dark chocolate, chocolate chips (9carbs for about 15 of them). There have even been times where I will add in some crystal light packets (or part of a packet really). Its really all about experimenting.

My second favourite low-carb snack isn't really all that good for you, but it ins't all that bad either. I take about 2 or 3 tbsp's of cool whip (i actually weight it so I keep myself honest lol), and then I add in the espresso powder (I really love that stuff!) and some chocolate chips. Or just the espresso powder. Or if I am pre-planning I will buy some sugar free chocolate pudding and mix it with cool whip. It makes a yummy mousse like texture.

**i buy the espresso powder at wiliams sonoma. 10 bucks and it lasts me about 4 months using some almost every day.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Another idea: I found a way to address the "need a snack after dinner" thing: brush my teeth shortly after dinner. The thought of having to brush my teeth again after snacking is enough to ward off any cravings.
  • munzaga
    Options
    Oh yes-another sweet treat-coffee with heavy cream and your favorite sf flavoring.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I second what emmylou said. Unsweetened Greek yogurt is low in carbs (no added sugar) and high on protein. I love to flavor mine either with strawberries or pineapple and coconut extract, and sweeten it with some truvia.
  • CM9178
    Options
    Wow you are a picky eater. Try some new things you might discover something GREAT
    I actually eat many different kinds of food - many more foods than a lot of people eat - but it just happens that I don't like many of the things in that list.. like pork rinds? Disgusting.
  • CM9178
    Options
    You mentioned yogurt... yes.. most yogurt is really high in carbs. However, if you buy plain greek yogurt and flavour it yourself you can avoid this!! My favourite combination is epsresso powder + splenda, but I also have a few different zero calorie torani syrups (vanilla, hazelnut, etc). Sometimes I will throw in a small handful of dark chocolate, chocolate chips (9carbs for about 15 of them). There have even been times where I will add in some crystal light packets (or part of a packet really). Its really all about experimenting.

I'm not sure what Greek yogurt you are referring to, but 6 oz of Chobani non-fat vanilla yogurt is 14g of carbs.
    The flavored one likes Apple Cinnamon or black cherry are 20 to 22 g of carbs, so I really don't see that as so much of a difference. If I'm going to eat the plain yogurt then I need to put something crunchy in it, like low fat granola - so that's more carbs.
    Or I can just eat the flavored greek yogurt and probably end up at the same number.