SMART goal setting

Options
I have seen a lot of posts lately (ok I always see them) that read 'can I lose xx pounds by xx date', so I thought it may be useful for a quick reminder on effective goal setting.

I refer back to my professional life here, and when I'm talking to managers and staff about goal setting, it always pays to refer to the S.M.A.R.T model (or something similar). It gives people a good point of reference for setting goals and targets and keeps some focus on what goals should really be. For those that aren't familiar with this acronym, it is to ensure goals are:

Specific
Measurable
Action Oriented
Realistic / Relevant
Time Based (constrained)

I am sure even by now you can see how this applies to fat loss as much as it does to any goal in personal or corporate life. In my opinion though, it is the A and R that are often misunderstood and are most important to mention here.

We know our overall goal is fat loss (notice I always use this term and never weight loss - that is part of the specific goal setting :tongue: ). We know our goals are measurable, both through the measurement of our actions - thanks to MFP, and the measurement of our results - thanks mirror, tape measure, scales etc.

Where a lot of people have their focus misdirected though, is they think their GOAL is to lose a certain amount of weight by a certain date (often for a wedding or reunion etc). In actual fact, the goal is not to lose 50 lbs, your goal needs to be smaller, measurable and actionable, such as following your eating plan and getting a certain amount of exercise per day. Make sure you know what these little goals are, and that they are able to be met (having a goal of 3 hrs exercise per day or eating 100% 'clean' may be good for some people and get you closer to your goal, but are they achievable FOR YOU?)

This smaller goal setting is really where the magic happens! All too often we have the end game in mind, but not enough focus on what we have to do each day to get there. So please set yourself goals on a smaller scale, such as daily or weekly. Make them challenging but achievable. Feel free to reward yourself for the achievement of these goals as you progress, and the end result will sort itself out!

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    GREAT post Ray!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Nice work Ray!

I like to have a combination of types of goal... Strength, weightloss and actions ...
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    You are very wise Ray - I think sometimes people get lost & think of the big goals but you are totally right! I myself have been guilty of going "I was meant to be xxx by this date" & when I wasn't & I was always glum about it, never really took into the account that I probably had lost 5 of the 10kgs I wanted to lose but always down on myself.

My goal now is.....to stick to my daily calories!!! :smile:
  • Shaolin_Papa
    Options
    Very informative..Hadn't really thought of it in those ways. My goals have been really nebulous...."good shape", etc.

Thanks, Man. :glasses:
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Exactly why my goal is to meet my calorie and exercise goals each day. I figure the weight loss/fitness will take care of itself if I meet my goals.

Great post.
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    A very smart and refreshing way to look at setting and achieving goals! Nicely done Ray!
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post, thanks for sharing! I'm guilty of sometimes focusing more on the number and giving myself a certain time frame to lose a set amount of weight. The outcome of course being that if I don't meet that goal I'm completely pissed at myself and feel like a failure. Lately I haven't been focusing on any set number and just continue going through the motions. Reading this was quite encouraging. You rock :wink: