In need of info

hollyindallas
hollyindallas Posts: 10 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've been tracking almost daily, food and exercise. I excercise minimum of 3x/week, shoot for 5 when I can. (Jillian Michaels, Ellen Barrett, Tamilee Webb videos and treadmill/cardio and weights). I have, for the most part, stayed at the 1200 calorie limit with a few days under that and eating back a portion of the calories burned during exercise. I went to the doc today and I'm up 2 lbs, I'm averaging a weight gain of half a pound weekly. I know this to be true because the clothes I was wearing no longer fit, they are too small. I'm broken hearted about this and don't know what to do. I'm stressed about the weight loss but I'm also menopausal which brings its own issues. Am I am fighting a losing battle with my weight? Any strategies out there that I'm missing? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Replies

• TwentyTen
    TwentyTen Posts: 585
    I refuse to think it's a losing battle. No way!
    Adding more calories is a little scary to do. I don't know the answer, maybe. SO far I am not gaining any, but it is going very slowly. Menopausal myself here, I am sure it plays a part. I am going to give it another month and if I do not see more progress will try upping my calories. Eeek..
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    I know the more I eat the more I loose.
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Not enough calories. 1200 is the minimum and if you are only eating part of your exercise calories back then you are way under (you are in starvation mode) I know that you have to find the right number that works for you (mine is 1430) its trail and error. Dont give up just play with the numbers and it will click. :flowerforyou:
  • osram34
    osram34 Posts: 54
    U probably need to eat more calories also try looking into your Metabolic Profile... everyones percentages are different...
    Cheer up do more research... and be head strong...
  • hollyindallas
    hollyindallas Posts: 10 Member
    Wow! Lots to think about. I'm a little scared of adding more calories but the trade off would (hopefully) be more energy to exercise a little harder.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    I looked thru your diary for the previous few days. It looks to me like you are not eating enough fat (and also a bit low on protein). Sounds crazy, right? Fat is absolutely essential to weight loss and to healthy body maintenance. I recommend adding in healthy fats like nuts, nut butters, avacadoes, healthy oils, whole olives, yogurt made from whole milk, etc. You also need to make sure you're eating your exercise calories back.

When I first started I out, I had my calorie goals set too low. I stopped losing after a short burst of initial weight loss. I know eating more seems scary and counter-productive... but it isn't.

If your body feels you aren't bringing in enough fat for proper functions, it's going to firmly hold on to what it has and continue to store for the future.

ETA: I don't know how long you've been working out, but if you recently went from sedentary to active, your body will hold a lot of extra fluid for a few weeks or so while it gets used to the activity. A lot of people experience an initial weight gain during this phase, but it comes off quickly once the body gets used to the added exercise.
This discussion has been closed.