Thread for the easily NERDgasmic...

Options
coolraul07
coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
Nerd, Geek, Techic, Trekker, etc. All are welcome to post their random brain dumps here.:bigsmile: :glasses: :bigsmile:

Let's get the ball rolling...

Was cleaning the kitchen and put TV on random channel for noise... happened upon a marathon of "Morgan Freeman's Through The Wormhole". Kinda sorta watched 2 eps.. Now more than ever, I'm convinced that Theoretical Physics departments at educational institutions worldwide are an Illuminati scheme to consolidate all the evil geniuses that are a single industrial accident away from becoming supervillians! I worry that we don't have enough busy work for them in the US, what with the shrinkage of NASA. I"m waiting for the breaking news report citing "World Domination" as a motive. Imagine crossing Val Kilmer's character from 'Real Genius" with Michael Keaton's character from "Falling Down"! <shudder>

Anyway, I digress... Unless the hounds!

Replies

• jameseylefebure
    jameseylefebure Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    100% Geek here - not so much on the Nerd side of things (bit stooopid for Nerdy) but well up on my geekness. Love my fantasy games/books and a HUGE horror nerd. I'm also one of the people who will worship Joss Whedon!! :)
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe there is no single divine being and all humans past drama - success - survival - intelligence - and technology all came from "aliens". The proof is everywhere, from Stonehenge to the pyramids, to underwater cities to Mayan ruins. Hieroglyphs, artifacts, depictions of "beings coming from the sky" in the bible and many ancient texts. Either way you put this, anything that comes from the heavens is "alien to this earth", but finding of "landing pads" and strategic magnetic placement of giant rocks on the earth all point to unparalleled knowledge given to humans but a superior race sitting among the stars. Just look between 1800 - now. The increase in technology is imaginable, compared to 0 bc to1700 ad. Thats over 2000 years. 200 years and we went from just discovering electricity to having devices the size of leafs to connect and talk to each other over thousands of miles in a second. No way we could have done this on our own.
  • coolraul07
    Options
    I firmly believe there is no single divine being and all humans past drama - success - survival - intelligence - and technology all came from "aliens"....

Interesting theory. Myself, I have often wondered why there was so much engineering and technological advancement from ~3,000 B.C. through a couple hundred A.D. (Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, etc.) then an almost complete stop (worldwide) up to and thru the Dark Ages, and didn't seem to spark back up until around the time of moveable type. Imagine where we be technologically speaking if our momentum continued straight through to today. I once heard a theory that it was related to a shift from polytheism (various mythologies) to monotheistic religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc.), but I don't see the tie other than coincidence of timeframe.
    I used to avidly watch "Engineering an Empire" and I noticed that I'm entralled by the pre-Dark Ages episodes, but the post-Dark Ages stuff is kinda like, "Meh."
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I think mankind has peaked when it comes to figuring out what can be done with the planet, its resources and the laws of physics.
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    137487b9de32bf31.gif
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    100% Geek here - not so much on the Nerd side of things (bit stooopid for Nerdy) but well up on my geekness. Love my fantasy games/books and a HUGE horror nerd. I'm also one of the people who will worship Joss Whedon!! :)

I just wanted to say that I absolutely love your shirt.

And yes, I suppose I would consider myself more of a geek than a nerd if we're being specific.
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I think mankind has peaked when it comes to figuring out what can be done with the planet, its resources and the laws of physics.

I pretty much totally agree...we only have a few more breakthroughs left in us....
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe there is no single divine being and all humans past drama - success - survival - intelligence - and technology all came from "aliens". The proof is everywhere, from Stonehenge to the pyramids, to underwater cities to Mayan ruins. Hieroglyphs, artifacts, depictions of "beings coming from the sky" in the bible and many ancient texts. Either way you put this, anything that comes from the heavens is "alien to this earth", but finding of "landing pads" and strategic magnetic placement of giant rocks on the earth all point to unparalleled knowledge given to humans but a superior race sitting among the stars. Just look between 1800 - now. The increase in technology is imaginable, compared to 0 bc to1700 ad. Thats over 2000 years. 200 years and we went from just discovering electricity to having devices the size of leafs to connect and talk to each other over thousands of miles in a second. No way we could have done this on our own.

My husband loves Ancient Aliens too. I think it's good for a laugh.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Nerd, Geek, Techic, Trekker, etc. All are welcome to post their random brain dumps here.:bigsmile: :glasses: :bigsmile:

Let's get the ball rolling...

Was cleaning the kitchen and put TV on random channel for noise... happened upon a marathon of "Morgan Freeman's Through The Wormhole". Kinda sorta watched 2 eps.. Now more than ever, I'm convinced that Theoretical Physics departments at educational institutions worldwide are an Illuminati scheme to consolidate all the evil geniuses that are a single industrial accident away from becoming supervillians! I worry that we don't have enough busy work for them in the US, what with the shrinkage of NASA. I"m waiting for the breaking news report citing "World Domination" as a motive. Imagine crossing Val Kilmer's character from 'Real Genius" with Michael Keaton's character from "Falling Down"! <shudder>

Anyway, I digress... Unless the hounds!

Michael Douglas. Falling down. Not Keaton.

My 2 cents -
    I always get upset at the end of Aladdin. When he has to use his last wish to set the genie free. Why not hand the lamp to Jasmine?
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Oh, and Star Wars > Star Trek.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options

I pretty much totally agree...we only have a few more breakthroughs left in us....

The Higgs Boson
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe there is no single divine being and all humans past drama - success - survival - intelligence - and technology all came from "aliens"....

Interesting theory. Myself, I have often wondered why there was so much engineering and technological advancement from ~3,000 B.C. through a couple hundred A.D. (Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, etc.) then an almost complete stop (worldwide) up to and thru the Dark Ages, and didn't seem to spark back up until around the time of moveable type. Imagine where we be technologically speaking if our momentum continued straight through to today. I once heard a theory that it was related to a shift from polytheism (various mythologies) to monotheistic religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc.), but I don't see the tie other than coincidence of timeframe.
    I used to avidly watch "Engineering an Empire" and I noticed that I'm entralled by the pre-Dark Ages episodes, but the post-Dark Ages stuff is kinda like, "Meh."

They all died off in the Dark Ages. You have to remember, something like 50 percent of Europe's population died off; there was a steep population decline all over the world (something like 2/3 of China's pop. and a third of the Middle East's pop. was wiped out if I am remembering correctly). A lot of people left then had to deal with a crushed economy and famine which in turn caused peasant uprisings. It's hard to innovate when you're a) dead and b) starving.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I study and do accounting for a living and I love it :glasses:
    Play any kind of video/computer game I can get my hands on.
    My favorite is Xbox360, Nintendo64, Runescape on computer. :happy:
  • coolraul07
    Options
    Michael Douglas. Falling down. Not Keaton.

Doink! Thanks; will edit/correct.
    <a few seconds later>
    D'Oh! Too late to edit my OP. Oh well.
  • coolraul07
    Options
    Oh, and Star Wars > Star Trek.

Demz dare iz fah-tin wurdz!

You're lucky that the Prime Directive prohibits me from interfering with the development of your backwater civilization! j/k
  • coolraul07
    Options
    The Higgs Boson

Interesting note: Both eps of "...Through the Wormhole" heavily referenced the Large Hadron Collider... yet neither ep mentioned the HB particle.
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Wham! Bam! Thanks for the shattering Nerdgasm.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    Higgs Boson and string theory amaze me. I can watch shows about quantum physics all night. It blows my mind thinking about infinite parallel universes. One of the biggest mind-f's I have seen lately is how string theory only works when you accept that there are 11 dimensions in our universe, including time and the three spatial dimensions we perceive.

Oh, and watching something about magnetars and pulsars the other day I saw it theorized that magnetars generated their immense magnetic fields because they were filled with a spinning liquid so non-viscous that it had a zero coefficient of friction. Kind of messed with me for a bit there.
  • nbhobbes
    nbhobbes Posts: 284
    Options
    One show I really like is with Michau Kaku called SciFi Science. He goes arround looking at science fiction movies and figures out ways to make them in real life.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3583-the-geek-squid

Feel free to join our nerdy/geeky group! :D