Tofu Donburi

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
I'm going to say in advance this is not a low sodium dish. I made this as a treat, even though its otherwise pretty healthy. Make sure that when you make it you drink a LOT of water.

Donburis (literally 'ricebowl' in Japanese) are fast food dishes of any number of assorted things being served over rice. The best rice to use is glutenous rice - sticky rice, sushi rice, whatever you can find. I'm sure you could also use brown rice to make it a bit healthier.

Source:
http://www.theatlantic.com/food/archive/2009/07/recipe-tofu-donburi/22267/
"
Tofu alone may not be a meat substitute, but it is the first step to making one; match it with strong, interesting flavors and take care to cook it properly. Makes 2 servings.

• 4 ounces firm tofu
• 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
• 1 cup homemade vegetable stock
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1.5 tablespoons sugar
• 3 eggs, beaten lightly
• 1 scallion, chopped
• 1 cup cooked rice

Place the tofu between two paper towels on a plate. Put a large plate on top of the tofu and a 5-pound weight (I use a bottle of wine) on top of the plate, letting press for 30 minutes. Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch squares.

Heat the oil in a medium pan. Fry the tofu pieces, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove and dry the tofu. Pour out the oil.

In a medium pot over medium heat, combine the stock, soy sauce, and sugar in the pan and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to simmer. Add the tofu, cooking 5 minutes. Stir in the eggs and scallions and bring the heat to medium, until mixture begins to bubble around the edges. Turn heat down to low, cover, and let cook 3 minutes.

Remove from heat. Divide rice evenly between two bowls. Spoon the mixture over the rice and serve.

"

To trim it down substitute low sodium soy sauce. Make your own veggie broth with light salt (I used a bullion cube). You could probably use an egg substitute as well. There's no right or wrong way to make the dish. Have fun and enjoy!