Good way to log olive oil?

Options
Everything I cook is with olive oil, and it's so hard to log because even if I measure it out there will always be some that sticks to the pan, evaporates, doesn't get eaten, etc. Normally that doesn't matter but olive oil is so calorie dense that every teaspoon counts. Does anyone have an accurate way of keeping track of it?

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Oil does not evaporate, it's not water. Just log it, there is always food that sticks to your pan or the plate you can get too obsessive, if you are wasting whole teaspoons you are likely using too much oil, if it's 2g that is about 20 calories.
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    Oil does not evaporate, it's not water. Just log it, there is always food that sticks to your pan or the plate you can get too obsessive, if you are wasting whole teaspoons you are likely using too much oil, if it's 2g that is about 20 calories.

Everything evaporates.

Though OP since you don't know how much is evaporating/doesn't get eaten its better to just log how much you've used just to be safe.
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    "Everything evaporates"? Not really. Although oil will and can evaporate over time depending on the type of oil and under what conditions, it will not affect the nutritional value of your meal. Log it all unless your draining off a good amount at the end, but like someone said before, if this is the case ,you're probably using too much to begin with.
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    "Everything evaporates"? Not really. Although oil will and can evaporate over time depending on the type of oil and under what conditions, it will not affect the nutritional value of your meal. Log it all unless your draining off a good amount at the end, but like someone said before, if this is the case ,you're probably using too much to begin with.

What substance doesn't evaporate...?
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I put the bottle on the scale, zero it, pour JUST enough into the pan as I need (the pan is dry after cooking is done). put the bottle back on the scale, and log that many grams. For just me it's usually like 8-10g, for a bigger meal sometimes 20.
  • Gianna5587
    Gianna5587 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I log all of it. Calorie counting isn't an exact science, so the way I see it I'll probably make up any minor errors elswhere and it'll all even out in the end..
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I just log the amount I use - I try to never have more than two tablespoons per day.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I am usually cooking for two. I measure it, say 1 TBSP, then cook away. We share the food either 50/50 for 60/40, either way I log 1/2 TBSP. [If I eat all of it, I log 1 TBSP.] I try really hard to log every single thing and be accurate, but there's going to be some guesstimating here and there and I figure I'd rather estimate I am eating a few more calories than I really am than try to subtract the tiny bit that doesn't get eaten, or the bit more that he might get in his portion.

The hard part is when HE cooks. I always log 1 TBSP of olive oil when I eat something the bf makes, even if I have half or less of the dish, 'cause he just pours it in.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    I use extra virgin olive oil along with balsamic vinegar in my salad, and it's 120 calories for one table spoon.
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options

What substance doesn't evaporate...?

Ummm.....sand. Or any other solid, and please save the whole, "everything has at least some small quantity of liquid so therefore evaporates " rant.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    How do some people still not know that olive oil is NOT for cooking with? :huh: All the top chefs tv even are finally learning the errors of their ways...olive oil is meant for drizzling on salads, pastas, breads etc and shouldn't be 'cooked'...it loses its health benefits when it is cooked. Rapeseed oil would be a much better choice, or coconut oil.

ANYway, I always just use a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil on a salad, or of another oil if cooking, and if you're counting calories I'd count the whole spoon no matter what, just to be on the safe side.

It would be like a part time job trying to figure out the *exact* number of calories you are consuming of it otherwise.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    How do some people still not know that olive oil is NOT for cooking with? :huh: All the top chefs tv even are finally learning the errors of their ways...olive oil is meant for drizzling on salads, pastas, breads etc and shouldn't be 'cooked'...it loses its health benefits when it is cooked. Rapeseed oil would be a much better choice, or coconut oil.

ANYway, I always just use a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil on a salad, or of another oil if cooking, and if you're counting calories I'd count the whole spoon no matter what, just to be on the safe side.

It would be like a part time job trying to figure out the *exact* number of calories you are consuming of it otherwise.

Wow, the whole nation of Spain must be doing something fundamentally wrong then. Glad someone told them.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

Wow, the whole nation of Spain must be doing something fundamentally wrong then. Glad someone told them.

Read some updated research and get a clue :tongue:
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I generally cook with coconut oil, but I log it as well. I know I'm not going to end up consuming every last drop that I put in the pan so I don't fret it really.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah if you are worried about the olive oil, maybe you can try placing your food on a paper towel if possible to soak some of the oil?
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    just log what you use. if you put a tablespoon in, add that. if it evaporates then whatever but at least you know you're not eating more than what you say you're eating.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

The only research I need is done in my kitchen. I like the way stuff tastes when I cook with olive oil so Imma keep on doing it.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I just log what I use.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Protip: Adding a cute smiley face behind a rude comment doesn't make the aforementioned comment any less rude.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I play it safe and log it all unless I am positive about what is left over.