Depo birth control & weight loss

Options
I started the depo birth control shot in February last year and gained 30 lbs from it which is a very dangerous amount of weight to gain in a year. I don't feel that I have gained anymore weight from it, but feel that maybe it is slowing down my weight loss process. Just curious if any other females have had this problem or if you are on depo are you losing weight at a normal rate? Just trying to decide if I should stay on it, being that the birth control pill is not an option right now due to my BMI being too high and I've already tried nuva ring with no success. I am ready to lose weight and will be looking for a nutritionist and counselor to help with the process and plan to ask a Dr's advice with continuing or discontinuing with depo, but I am supposed to get my next shot in 2 weeks so I will not see my regular Dr. before then. Any advice or experiences with depo and weight loss are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• forest0spirit555
    forest0spirit555 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I currently taking depo. I noticed the increase in weight as well but I cannot take the pill because I always forget to take it and I do not want to run the risk of going unprotected. I am on day one of my fight to lose weight so I cannot report on progress but I am going to do my best all the same
  • Carolannb1986
    Options
    I started the depo birth control shot in February last year and gained 30 lbs from it which is a very dangerous amount of weight to gain in a year. I don't feel that I have gained anymore weight from it, but feel that maybe it is slowing down my weight loss process. Just curious if any other females have had this problem or if you are on depo are you losing weight at a normal rate? Just trying to decide if I should stay on it, being that the birth control pill is not an option right now due to my BMI being too high and I've already tried nuva ring with no success. I am ready to lose weight and will be looking for a nutritionist and counselor to help with the process and plan to ask a Dr's advice with continuing or discontinuing with depo, but I am supposed to get my next shot in 2 weeks so I will not see my regular Dr. before then. Any advice or experiences with depo and weight loss are greatly appreciated.

When I was on this, I gained a mass amount of weight also, and really struggled to shift it!! I eventually stopped taking my shot and lost the weight in a few month's. I know they say weight gain happens when you take the shot. But i almost doubled in size!!

I also couldn't take the pill due to it effecting my liver ( would turn yellow).
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating less, and moving more?
  • 20kb13
    20kb13 Posts: 161
    Options
    I always heard it caused weight gain, so I kind of expected to gain some... but not 30 lbs! I don't know if my body will adjust to the shot now that I have been on it almost a full year or if losing weight is going to continue to be a struggle. Thanks for your input! I hope to find a solution because I don't want to go unprotected but gaining weight is not an option either.

As for any guys who respond to this... unless you are an obgyn I don't think you will understand at all.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I always heard it caused weight gain, so I kind of expected to gain some... but not 30 lbs! I don't know if my body will adjust to the shot now that I have been on it almost a full year or if losing weight is going to continue to be a struggle. Thanks for your input! I hope to find a solution because I don't want to go unprotected but gaining weight is not an option either.

As for any guys who respond to this... unless you are an obgyn I don't think you will understand at all.

Then why ask on a public forum instead of consulting medical advice? Seems like a waste of everyone's time.
  • lissylong
    Options
    I have been on the Depo for 3years. I asked my Dr about weight gain and he told me what it does is increase you appetite so you have to ask youself if your eating because you are hungry or just eating. I was just eating.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Birth control really screws with me and my hormones. I have a non hormonal IUD now but my hubby just got fixed in October, so I will be getting it out ASAP. Men, please stay out of this conversation. You have no idea how birth control and hormones mess with us women. It is so easy to say eat less and move more. Weight gain is listed as one of the side effects, sheesh.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Birth control really screws with me and my hormones. I have a non hormonal IUD now but my hubby just got fixed in October, so I will be getting it out ASAP. Men, please stay out of this conversation. You have no idea how birth control and hormones mess with us women. It is so easy to say eat less and move more. Weight gain is listed as one of the side effects, sheesh.

Are you saying I've wasted all of this time studying, because I'm the wrong sex?
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    I had the hormonal IUD in for 7 months and it was just awful for me. I got it taken out and replaces with the non hormonal one because my body never adjusted to it. I was put on depo without my knowledge as a teenager and it really screwed with my weight. I am so happy to be done with hormones. Have you tried a non hormonal IUD or condoms? I know it is a pain but better than hormones. My body just cannot deal with putting extra hormones into it.
  • 20kb13
    Options

Birth control definitely messes with my hormones. I was considering the IUD but have some fears about it also and have no had any kids yet so they don't suggest it until after having kids because of the size of the IUD could become very uncomfortable.

And seriously I didn't think males would respond to something that is clearly a female question especially if the males advice is to eat less and move more... but apparently didn't read that I am planning on seeking advice from a Dr.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    no I am saying you are an instigator and like to stir the pot,
  • melcpia
    melcpia Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Are you saying I've wasted all of this time studying, because I'm the wrong sex?

What they are probably saying in future keep your comments to yourself on something a bloke would not even remotely understand.

Weight gain is a KNOWN side effect of Depo. Go study a bit harder Mr Know all Know nothing.

You obviously have something hanging between your legs and nothing between your ears.
  • 20kb13
    Options

Then why ask on a public forum instead of consulting medical advice? Seems like a waste of everyone's time.

Clearly you missed the part that mentioned I am going to ask the Dr. Sometimes it is nice to know the experiences and opinions of other women. Maybe you are just one of those people who like to argue on forums which is more of a waste of time than anything...
  • forest0spirit555
    forest0spirit555 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Haha You must be really popular among the ladies arent you?
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    There are many medical, hormonal and psychological conditions that can make weight loss more difficult.

Eating less and moving more will still work.
  • 20kb13
    Options
    There are many medical, hormonal and psychological conditions that can make weight loss more difficult.

Eating less and moving more will still work.

Those with a thyroid problem have trouble losing weight even when they eat less and move more. They need medication to help with that. You don't know as much as you think you do
  • melcpia
    melcpia Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Try implanon. I gained big time with Depo as well and had no luck shifting it while still having the shot. Weight gain was mostly fluid (but not all!!) I stopped the shot got the implant and have lost 32+ kilos (70 pound) Don't let know it alls put you off. Weight gain is a known side effect.

Ask your GP about the implant. Worst case scenario would be you don't like it / doesn't work for you etc and you have it removed.

Good luck talking to your doc.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    Eating less and moving more is not always the only solution when it comes to hormones. Please go away unless you have something thoughtful to say.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    You obviously have something hanging between your legs and nothing between your ears.

Exactly!
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I got the copper coil last year and my appetite stopped weight is oming of nicely with a little hard work x