How Does Caffeine Affect Ketosis?

Options
I am trying to follow a low-carb lifestyle and need to lose about 45-50 pounds. I am aware that it can be considered unnecessary to use diet pills while following a low-carb diet, however I am considering adding a supplement to maximize my weight loss and give myself a bit of a boost. I also enjoy an occasional caffeinated drink. I know that the Atkins diet states that it is ok to consume caffeine in moderation, but it does not go into detail about its affects on ketosis. My understanding is that during ketosis, the body uses fat stores for energy. If caffeine (or other energy-giving substance) is supplying the body with energy, does that mean that the body is kicked out of ketosis/doesn't look to the body's fat stores for energy? Answers greatly appreciated, thank you!

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    As far as I understand, no.

Caffeine slightly improves fatty acid mobilization anyway.
  • DulceDollie
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Just be careful about milk. If you're aiming for ketosis you should either have your coffee black or with cream.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Caffeine does not really give you more energy (at least in measurable amounts) - it just makes you feel like you have more.

Caffeine acts on chemicals that modulate how excitable your nerves are - more caffeine inhibits more of the modulatory chemicals, making you feel more alert, awake and energised. But this is a neural effect, not a metabolic one.

Caffeine also can (slightly) increase fatty acid oxidation, but these effects are very small for a normal intake. If anything, then, caffeine may slightly increase the efficiency of ketosis, but I am not an expert here and the body has many compensatory mechanisms in place that might make the end effect of caffeine+ketosis quite different from what you expect.
  • DulceDollie
    Options
    Thank you very much! Great information, that helped me to understand the science behind it better. Just what I was looking for!
    Caffeine does not really give you more energy (at least in measurable amounts) - it just makes you feel like you have more.

Caffeine acts on chemicals that modulate how excitable your nerves are - more caffeine inhibits more of the modulatory chemicals, making you feel more alert, awake and energised. But this is a neural effect, not a metabolic one.

Caffeine also can (slightly) increase fatty acid oxidation, but these effects are very small for a normal intake. If anything, then, caffeine may slightly increase the efficiency of ketosis, but I am not an expert here and the body has many compensatory mechanisms in place that might make the end effect of caffeine+ketosis quite different from what you expect.
  • DulceDollie
    Options
    Thank you, but why be careful about milk? Because of the carbs in it?
    Just be careful about milk. If you're aiming for ketosis you should either have your coffee black or with cream.