Roasted Red Pepper Soup--yum!

mistressmozart
mistressmozart Posts: 44 Member
This soup is delicious, filling, healthy and low calorie!

Ingredients:

3 red peppers
1/2 vegetable bullion cube
2 small shallots (or any other kind of onion)
1 clove of garlic
fresh thyme
black pepper
1/2 tablespoon of olive oil
1/4-1/2 cup red lentils
700ml (about 3 cups) water

First roast the red peppers. Heat the oven to 250C (480F). Cut the peppers into halves or thirds, take out the seeds and stem. Place them on a foil covered baking sheet skin side up. Spray them with cooking spray, or rub a little olive oil on with your finger-only a little is needed! Roast them for about 10-15 minutes until the skin kind of bubbles, and has a few black spots. Take them out and let cool.

Meanwhile, chop the onions, garlic and put into a soup pot along with the thyme and black pepper and olive oil.

Once the roasted peppers have cooled, peel the skin off. if they have been roasted long enough the skin should be very easy to remove. Chop them into smaller pieces.

Saute the onion and garlic for about a minute. Add the red peppers and saute for 1 or 2 more minutes. Then pour in the water and add the cube. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Add the red lentils and let simmer stirring occasionally. It can simmer for as little as 15 minutes, but I usually let it simmer for about 20-30 while i'm preparing other food or doing other things. You can add more water if necessary and to alter the thickness of the soup.

Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender.

Serve with a few crumbles of balkan feta.

One serving should be about 80 calories.

The soup stores well in the fridge and reheats very well. I usually make a larger batch (double the recipe) and i'm good for the week.

Enjoy!!

Replies

• stephaniekhani
    stephaniekhani Posts: 77 Member
    Ooooh nice! I love a good soup in the winter!
  • cottagegal1
    cottagegal1 Posts: 161 Member
    bump
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 699 Member
    I have been hoping to incorporate more lentils into my diet, so this soup looks perfect. Thanks for sharing.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,364 Member
    bouillon is really bad for you, way too much sodium. why not use a no salt added vegetable stock?
  • dreamchaser12
    dreamchaser12 Posts: 223 Member
    Sounds delicious!! I've been on a soup kick this winter and I'm going to have to try this one! Thanks for posting!
  • oameyers
    oameyers Posts: 76 Member
    Bump
  • mistressmozart
    mistressmozart Posts: 44 Member
    LilacDreamer, it's a good point. I use a low sodium one, but I live in Czech Republic and you can't find no salt vegetable stock. maybe at some Bio shop but it would be insanely expensive. This is 1/2 cube spread over about 6 servings so not too bad