Don't you just hate it when

Options
rgohm
rgohm Posts: 294 Member
You weigh yourself and you are 2 lbs heavier than you were the day before? That is what happened to me today. I am not going to let it get me too down because I know I am eating within my calorie budget and I am doing cardio. I can't let myself get to bummed. I suppose I could just be dehydrated, I do have signs of it, although I drank so much water yesterday. I just couldn't seem to get enough water yesterday (I am not diabetic) yet this morning my mouth was all dry and my urine was more yellow than usual. Do any of you think it could be from dehydration?

Replies

• Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Yes, like finding a piece of coal in your Christmas stocking! Actually, although I weigh every day, my weight can vary 3+ pounds from day to day, so I'm only going to post my weight to MFP on Mondays.
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Weight can vary so much even within the span of the day, and there are so many factors that can influence it! You're right to not let it get you down, I know 2lbs feels like a great achievement (to me anyway!) once you've worked to get it off, and only to see it back there again can be upsetting.

My only advice would be to weigh the same time every day - first thing in the morning, after you've been to the toilet but before you do ANYTHING else, especially eat/drink. I weigh myself out of curiosity most days, but only log Friday mornings. That way you can eliminate some of the variables.

Don't let it get you down or deter you at all, stay positive :)
  • Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yes, its frustrating as all hell. That is why I don't credit myself for weight loss until I've hit the same weight for 3 consecutive weigh-ins, and I will only do the third after I hit the same weight twice on an every-other-day weigh schedule. many times, I'll just go about 5-7 days before I'll check after any significant weight drop.

I have noticed that during those times I'm not dropping weight, that is when I notice my change in appearance or the way my clothes fit. maybe its all just mental, but its the way I've happened to notice things changing.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    ...you dress up as bat man and try to fight crime and you get laughed at by 4 year olds
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    .....the neighbor that gets undressed in front of the window finally closes the blinds
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    ...you dress up as bat man and try to fight crime and you get laughed at by 4 year olds

hahaha great answer <3
  • rgohm
    Options

My only advice would be to weigh the same time every day - first thing in the morning, after you've been to the toilet but before you do ANYTHING else, especially eat/drink. I weigh myself out of curiosity most days, but only log Friday mornings. That way you can eliminate some of the variables.

Don't let it get you down or deter you at all, stay positive :)

Actually this is the way I do it everyday. Although I log anytime I see a significant weight loss for a couple of days, for an example I probably weigh five pounds less then my profile says I do because I want to allow for variations in my weight. So even with the extra two pounds I still actually weigh less then what profile says.
  • orangekeeper
    orangekeeper Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My weight varies +/- 2lbs depending on the day/time of day. It was a bit of a shock at first, but the scales are still generally going in the right direction....
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Did you poop before you weighed yourself?
  • Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options

How big is your p.........

nevermind ;)
  • rgohm
    Options

ew :huh:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

ew :huh:
    You should... poop has weight you know.

Anyway, a fluctuation that minor doesn't mean anything. I can fluctuate anywhere up to 10lbs in a day.
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand why you would weigh yourself every day, surely it's obvious it would fluctuate?
    Like how much do you really expect to lose on a day to day basis?

Do it once a week, then you can avoid being disappointed as you're likely to have gone down at least a pound if you're keeping under your calories and exercising.
  • rgohm
    Options
    I don't really understand why you would weigh yourself every day, surely it's obvious it would fluctuate?
    Like how much do you really expect to lose on a day to day basis?

Do it once a week, then you can avoid being disappointed as you're likely to have gone down at least a pound if you're keeping under your calories and exercising.

I know my weight fluctuates and I don't have an issue with that at all. I just thought it was curious. I am used to a 5lb difference during a certain time of the month, however, since I have recently (3 months ago) had a hysterectomy I have not seen a huge difference in weight from day to day. I weigh myself everyday more out of curiosity than anything else, after all, I know as long as I am eating within my limits and exercising my weight will be going down maybe not daily, and that is fine with me, but eventually.
  • trulabfloyd
    Options
    Yes my weight bumped up a pound from yesterday, so not going to get depressed. Just go forward. But actually I think the best day to weigh for putting in MFP if just one day a week is on Friday. Because weekends are the biggest challenge with parties, dinners out, drinking etc and Monday thru Friday you can be more serious!!
  • trulabfloyd
    Options
    could be good, could be bad!
    :blushing: