Eating before workout issue

I exercise often and I really struggle with eating near a workout (any kind). I am usually left feeling very sick if I eat close to a workout so basically I just don't. It was never an issue but now I am training for a 1/2 and have a new membership to the gym so I am working out harder and more often than I was and am finding that at times, I am left feeling weak. I KNOW I need food but it's a catch 22--I either feel weak. When I would eat, I would try to eat something lighter and more bland but to no avail. So, anyone else have this problem or advice?

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    I was going to say try eating lighter like fruits or maybe a smoothie, but it seems you've tried that. Maybe try eating more longer before?
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,640 Member
    My stomach is sensitive before working out also. Usually if I eat a granola bar (a small one, not the protein bars but around 90-100 calorie bar) anywhere from 1/2 hour to an hour before working out I feel like I have energy but don't get a cramp. And I drink about 8 oz of water beforehand, at the same time that I eat the granola bar. A banana will also work for me. Just get to know your body and try different types of food and different time frames until you find what works for you.
  • I would suggest a small snack, a 100 calorie bar of some sort about an hour before class or a small banana. Something with some carbs for you to burn so you can master your work out. I have the same issue, you just need to find the food and amount of calories that will work best for you but I do try to stick to something simple.
  • I can't exercise with nothing in my belly but I can't go out with a full belly, so now I have orange juice.... thicker than water but not so thick I get a stitch :-) Then when I finish I get a protein shake or eggs down me as something quick, cos I'm usually hungry when I've finished. I think the adrenalin kicks in so I feel that instead of hunger, until I stop exercising

Hope that helps
    Rach
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Thanks for the advice. I am sure I will have to play around with it a bit, but I am definitely finding that I have to eat something. I am finding anything with PB is really bad for this. I will try more carb than protein before
  • Hey
    In addition to my earlier post... I now have a big supper the night before a morning run. I've found that helps LOADS. I have 3 weetabix the night before for supper, then in the morning put one of those fizzy energy capsules in some water and down that, and take the rest with me on the run :-)
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    I usually wait an hour minimum after eating to work out or I feel sick during the workout. But then I don't really snack a great deal so I am talking about the 3 meals a day I eat, I just spread it out so it doesn't interfere with my schedule.