Success with maintenance?

Options
13»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So my question is to successful maintainers - how long do you need to maintain in your goal range before you can give yourself a pat on the back? when is the realisation that there has definitely been a lifestyle change?

IMO, the answer to this question is "forever". I am approaching 2 years of maintenance, this time. But I've lost and maintained longer than that before and then got lazy and gained again. Yes, I made a lifestyle change, but the thing about that is that it's easy to change again. LIfe is constantly changing. I know it could happen again.

For the first time I've got a really good fitness support group this time, even if most of them are young enough to be my children (one actually is). Even though most of them work out beyond my level, they are super supportive without being preachy. I'm hoping that will keep me from falling off the exercise wagon this time (diet has always been the easy part for me).
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    This probably isn't a great analogy, but I was traveling for a couple of weeks over the holidays and I did the following to maintain. Worked great:

1. 3 meals a day, no crap in between
    2. No liquid calories
    3. Stay active. I went running 3-4 times per week.
    4. Intentionally eat a low calorie meal once per day. I did a breakfast of 6 oz of Blueberry yogurt and bran buds.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    EXCELLENT thread! I hit my goal and then passed it by 2 pounds to give me a cushion. Only able to maintain that for a month before the holidays hit. I totally identified with poster who said maintenance is harder as there is "more freedom" involved. But more freedom for me meant a gain of possibly 8 pounds in 2 months. I didn't want to see. Still got a good 5 pounds to deal with and again feel very full of water and salt after the Superbowl food.

I am in turmoil, knowing why I chose my plan for health reasons but also giving into some temptations can really side track me mentally. Also DH gets perturbed as we used to revolve our whole life around food and now I'm not so game for that. Need to work on MY food issues and agree with another poster that some foods for me may just be out of bounds forever unless I want to continue to struggle. I was so much stronger when I was losing. I was a pillar of strength down to the letter. It was hitting my goal that was the problem. It is a mental battle for me to stay on plan when I start having a taste of this and a taste of that. Losing 70+ pounds can be undone in the blink of an eye. I am not going back there again. Refined grains and sugar are my true undoings. This is something each of us must learn about ourselves to successfully maintain FOREVER. Doing this again is not an option for me.
  • aisth00j
    aisth00j Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Some really good points im going to think about.
    This quote is definitely one that has got me contemplating how we can adapt when our life changes, but change in a way that does not affect our weight loss or lead to gaining.

"Yes, I made a lifestyle change, but the thing about that is that it's easy to change again. LIfe is constantly changing"
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Some really good points im going to think about.
    This quote is definitely one that has got me contemplating how we can adapt when our life changes, but change in a way that does not affect our weight loss or lead to gaining.

"Yes, I made a lifestyle change, but the thing about that is that it's easy to change again. LIfe is constantly changing"

So have you maintained since January?
  • aisth00j
    aisth00j Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi Tavistock Toad, I gained 7 pounds and then maintained that weight until March this year. Since then my husband ended our marriage and I completely fell off the MFP regime that I had made a habit of, as I had to force myself to eat and I lost 5 pounds in a week and kept at this weight for 3 months. Throughout this difficult time I have kept up my fitness regime of running 5 times a week which I am pleased at myself for as its been hard to hit the road sometimes.

To cut a long story short I am happy with my weight now if i can still maintain it but i am conscious that when life changes affect me emotionally they also affect my weight.

i originally joined this site 3.5 years ago after I gained a stone after my ex-husband had a one ngiht stand and I had felt low and given up on exercise and taking care of my appearance as much.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    But in all reality, success with maintenance is lifelong healthy living.

This is very much the way I see it. One of my goals is to be as healthy as possible, and the factors within my control like food and exercise play a huge part in that. I want to be the one in control of the machine that is my body, and I'll certainly be damned if I fall prey to some otherwise preventable disease in my lifetime through my own sub-optimal health habits, lol. For me personally, I've always found optimal personal health a far more powerful motivation than simply weight loss, although of course optimal weight is also a factor in that :)

Edit: a quote I liked recently - discipline is the difference between what I want right now versus what I want most :)
  • KathleenC12
    KathleenC12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi! I lost about 35# and have kept most of it off (I go up and down by 4 lbs) for a year.

My "tricks" are
    1. Logging (in past lost this much, then did not log and regained it all and more, at least 3 times.)
    2. Keeping a few old photos on my desktop- not going there again
    3. Not thinking "endless diet"- this is just the way I eat now
    4. Having a strict limit on any gain and a specific plan to arrest it- while not freaking out over minor fluctuations. (So for me, 4#).

You can give yourself a pat on the back at any point, and every day, b/c EACH DAY is an effort, each day means you have to make choices, say no, resist nice people who want you to eat they way they do, or a longing to just eat too much healthy food.

In fact I have always found maintenance the harder part than losing. Watching the ticker drop is fun and you do get that reward- and at certain points, new clothes. But maintenance doesn't have those satisfying moments- we have to make them.

So congratulations and yes you can do it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!