help

Options
I have been using this site for over a month now. I love the site but I am struggling with my success. I have only lost 3 lbs. I work out 4 days a week minimum and am keeping my calories to below 1200. I am fustrated and dont know what else to try. Any suggestions

Replies

• SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Stick at it and you will see results, this site isnt about crash diets it is about a new life-style. Yiou have to think of the big picture as in where you will be in a year not a month.

I was sceptical too to be honest but if I make sure I eat ALL my cals and drink as much water as I can it works, it really does. The aim for long term success is 1 lb a week so you have done good hun, dont worry.

If you carry on as you are and lose 3lb a month in 3 months time thats 9lb....!!!

Dont despair xxx
  • fluffyfeathers
    fluffyfeathers Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    DOES YOUR PLAN TELL YOU TO EAT FEWER THAN 1200 CALORIES, IF NOT YOUR NOT EATING ENOUGH YOU HAVE TO EAT TO LOSE SOMETIMES, STARVING YOURSELF IS JUST THAT ...STARVING YOURSELF
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    There have been many post about eating your calories - if you eat too few calories your body goes into starvation mode and stores more. Try uping your calorie intake to 1400. 1200 is the minimum. Also, since you are exercising, you will have extra exercise calories that you can eat.

I know that on days I don't eat all my calories I tend to remain at the same weight. When I get all my calories in, even though I think I am eating too much, the scale says otherwise and I actually lose weight.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You have to eat a minimum of 1200 calories plus some or all of the extra calories burned through exercise. You may not be loosing because your body is possibly going into starvation mode and hanging on every calorie it can. Easy way to stop this is, Eat More.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    These are some phenomenal posts to your question, and really all on the same wavelength. :smile: :smile: I too have the same line of thought.

Your profile doesn't show much, so I don't know any details. But let me make some assumptions to illustrate my thoughts.

Let's say you are trying to lose 1.5 pounds per week, giving you 20 weeks to lose your goal of 30 lbs. That will require you maintain a 750 calorie deficit each day.

Now, lets assume your BMR (found under the tools tab) is 1500, and your activity level is lightly active. That means your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE: or the nominal number of calories your body will burn in a day) is around 2025 calories. This in turn means that MFP will tell you need to eat 1275 calories to lose 1.5 lbs per day. This is dangerously close to the 1200 calorie minimum (thumbrule) for women.:noway:

Now, lets add in a little bit of exercise. Lets assume you exercise 3 times a week and consume 400 calories per exercise period. So on these days your body thinks your total caloric intake is only about 875 calories. It wonders how it is supposed to take care of a 2025 calorie need on only 875 calories. :grumble: And it panics, goes into starvation mode and diverts food intake to fat reserves. :frown:

Check your numbers out, and see if the scenario could be happening to you. If so, try 2 things to get out of this situation, both of which sound crazy. First off, eat your exercise calories. :noway: MFP already calculates how many calories you need to eat to lose your goal weight. What MFP doesn't predict is how much you will be exercising. Secondly, reduce your goal by a bit. :noway: Ironically, you may lose weight faster with a lower goal. This is because everything on here is based on generalized calculations. Some of the generalizations made limit your weight loss. :explode:

Good luck and keep the positive attitude. Remember, in just a few weeks you have lost 10% of your goal!!!! :drinker: