Can 297 calories for 24 mins on the exercise bike be right?

Options
Hello Everyone - sorry, absolute beginner (to MFP and regular exercise) alert, but I appreciate your patience if you read this!

Can anyone help me out - I have recently started exercising and have about 70lb to lose, so am quite unfit. I like using the stationary bike (exercise bike) in the gym and doing 24 minutes on that builds up a good sweat so must be burning calories (sorry if that is tmi) I then do a short weights session as designed by a trainer at the gym, and then a shorter cool down of a brisk walk on the treadmill - but the thing is I think that I am over awarding myself calories burned points on MFP for the bike - is the stationary bike really such a good work out? I have been selecting the "general" category from the drop down next to the stationary bike option, but this suggests I have burned over 297 calories, which is a nice idea but I am not sure I believe it!

Can anyone tell me whether it is likely I am burning 297 calories in a 24 minute session (its the auto programmed mixed gradient option on the bike, I assume that's relatively standard, and I select a medium difficulty and have to enter my weight so I assume it is adjusted accordingly)?

Many thanks for any help!

Replies

• marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    no that is not correct. i promise you.
  • nikkibel
    nikkibel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you're pushing yourself on the bike. I suggest purchasing a heart rate monitor (I have a Polar FT40 that can be found on amazon) to track your calorie burn. I used to rely on the calorie suggestions here - but none of them were accurate once I could compare it to my heart rate monitor! It all depends on your intensity, weight, height, etc.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yup no way to really know unless you are wearing a HRM. I have Polar FT4 and am so glad I got it!
  • Bonnielil76
    Options
    Speed and resistance will factor in (as does weight, level of fitness, etc). I asked a similar question yesterday and the general consensus was not to rely on the calorie counters here and that a heart monitor is going to be the most accurate.
  • hilarygeppert
    Options
    It doesn't sound right does it marathonmama! Nikki heart rate monitors are expensive so not an option I am going to go for at the moment.
    I realise it depends on lots of factors - any idea what would be a very rough ball park guess at a more reasonable amount to assume - half the suggested 297 perhaps?
  • hilarygeppert
    Options
    Ah OK, sorry I am asking a question asked yesterday! My gym sells heart rate monitors but they are all over €100 which is not really an option on top of gym membership, hmmm will have a look on Amazon for a cheaper one I guess, but don't really want to shell out more money just at the moment!
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    All i can tell you is that i have to ride a long time on my bike to burn the same amount of calories that i can burn jogging in 25 minutes. I'm talking at least 90 minutes. I do wear a HRM and a Garmin watch so I know it's pretty accurate. I'd go with 100-150 calories for a guess. Maybe just look up cycling in the MFP database and put in 24 minutes and see what that says??
  • daram05
    daram05 Posts: 80
    Options
    Like others, I recommend a HRM (in particular the Polar FT4). Its more accurate and in sink with your body. Good Luck and keep up the good work. You'll definitely see results!!!
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Check out the New Balance ones, I have one and it wasn't to expensive. Good luck.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Stationary bikes are usually fairly accurate (assuming they allow you to enter your weight) as there is a generally accepted workload. You get into the fancy ones that take you through a virtual course and it might get a little iffy, but if it's just pedaling at a set resistance, the burn should be pretty reasonable.

297 cals in 24 mins is just over 10cal/minute, which is doable for most people when they are pushing themselves reasonably hard.

So is it possible? Sure, absolutely. Is it right? It sounds like a reasonable estimate to me... but it is just an estimate.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    When I'm working out at my most intense level, I burn around 10 calories per minute. I'm talking about cardio with this example. I'm not sure how much you weigh right now, but the heavier you are, the easier it is to get your heart rate up which means more calories burned. That could very well be accurate depending on your weight. The best way to figure it out is with a heart rate monitor. I highly recommend the Polar FT7.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    All i can tell you is that i have to ride a long time on my bike to burn the same amount of calories that i can burn jogging in 25 minutes. I'm talking at least 90 minutes. I do wear a HRM and a Garmin watch so I know it's pretty accurate. I'd go with 100-150 calories for a guess. Maybe just look up cycling in the MFP database and put in 24 minutes and see what that says??

None of that means anything to the OP's situation though, as you are two different people, with different stats.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I've always found that the exercise bike burns a lot less calories than I expected. 25 minutes for me is 248 calories (per my HRM) and that's if I really push it. I bought my HRM from WalMart. It's not the best option as it's the watch that you have to press your finger to but it was an affordable option at the time for me ($40 or less) and the more you put your finger on it to check your heart rate, the more accurate it is. It works great when I do the elliptical or exercise bike, but it's a little harder to check frequently doing more active workouts like kickboxing, 30 Day Shred, etc., where you're using your arms and legs almost constantly.
  • EmzGetsFit
    Options
    I got my HRM from Aldi for only £12 - not sure if Aldi where you are does them but be aware there are cheaper alternatives.

They may not be as good as the Polar ones but it's a damn sight better than just guessing...which is basically what MFP and the machines in the gym do :-) xx
  • vanessa194
    vanessa194 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Ah OK, sorry I am asking a question asked yesterday! My gym sells heart rate monitors but they are all over €100 which is not really an option on top of gym membership, hmmm will have a look on Amazon for a cheaper one I guess, but don't really want to shell out more money just at the moment!

i dont follow the cals MFP gives for the work out .. i go based off the actual machine i used .. yesterday 30 min burned 348 cals today 30 min only 301 cals .. so again i repeat dont go off MFP cals unless you dont have a machine that tells you cals burned and your pretty mush guesstimating :) ..
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    For me, 14mins is 125 calories (5km at a 85rpm on a medium resistance).

So, 297 for 24minutes seems a little optimistic.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For me, 14mins is 125 calories (5km at a 85rpm on a medium resistance).

So, 297 for 24minutes seems a little optimistic.

Because everyone works just as hard as you and has the same results/experience as you?
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I burned 300 calories during a brisk walk with high gradient, with some few bursts of running factored in to keep heart rate up and this was in a 30 minute walk, so its possible that that is correct :) i was wearing a heart rate monitor btw!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Do not trust the counts on MFP!!!! Put your stats in the machine and trust the machine's numbers.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound right does it marathonmama! Nikki heart rate monitors are expensive so not an option I am going to go for at the moment.
    I realise it depends on lots of factors - any idea what would be a very rough ball park guess at a more reasonable amount to assume - half the suggested 297 perhaps?

Walmart has a wonderful HRM with chest strap for $50.

That said, I'm 185 and with my HRM burned 236 cals in 24 minutes on the stationary bike. I think it is entirely possible to burn 297cals in that amount of time, but I would definitely invest in a HRM with a chest strap.