Sauteed Veggies

Yesterday my husband sauteed Onion and bell peppers for me and it was so heavily coated with butter and olive oil... It was not what I thought it was going to be like. I think he gets too happy with butters and oils. (He was offended that I thought it was too heavy in oils)

I love sauteed veggies but I am trying to make a healthier version...do you sautee any of your veggies just a healthier way?

Replies

• demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Yesterday I sauted a pound and a half of mushrooms, an onion, and two cloves of garlic and only used a tsp of vegetable. You just have to stir more often until the vegetables release their water. The oil only added an extra 33 calories to the whole recipe.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    I just spray the cooking spray in a pan and then poor the veggies in. I use the salt free stuff or a tad bit of seasoning. It's mostly pepper I use.
  • loztandfound
    loztandfound Posts: 73 Member
    one cal spray!! it's amazing stuff :)
  • Bluebox32
    Bluebox32 Posts: 100 Member
    I have got to try your tips....yesterday the oils/butter was just sitting on my plate...it was not good at all.
  • megd726
    megd726 Posts: 31
    I use olive oil. It has good fat in it and if it's broken down into reasonable sized servings, it doesn't add many calories. For a chicken stir-fry (6 servings of veggies and multiple vegetables), I use 1 tbsp max.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Sauteed in butter is the best. Sorry it's not the answer you want. There's no reason that you can't fit some butter in your macros, when you plan your meals. :flowerforyou:
  • MichelleLovesMJ
    MichelleLovesMJ Posts: 10 Member
    one cal spray!! it's amazing stuff :)

Totally agree! I went a bit fancy and got the olive oil version....lovely!
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    My friend swears by the spray oil too! I started using water instead oil (yes sounds odd I know) by adding about a cm in the bottom of the pan and then putting a lid on until it had evaporated. It's calorie free, keeps all the veggies moist and I found the natural flavours were great.

Sometimes I forget and use the oil but when it starts sticking I'll then add some water and it sorts it out in a cal free way :)
  • Bluebox32
    Bluebox32 Posts: 100 Member
    I use olive oil. It has good fat in it and if it's broken down into reasonable sized servings, it doesn't add many calories. For a chicken stir-fry (6 servings of veggies and multiple vegetables), I use 1 tbsp max.

My husband has no control when it comes to olive oil...he says it healthy so he goes overboard. He makes the healthy...unhealthy. WE always end up arguing in the kitchen because of it. :(
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    SOY SAUCE!!!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Butter or coconut oil. You only need a small amount, like 1/2 a tablespoon per cup of chopped veggies, since the veggies release water after a few minutes of cooking over medium-high heat and won't stick or burn. And add some herbs or garlic for flavour (herbs near the end of cooking though).

Olive oil is a healthy fat, but it's a fat, and as fats carry 9 calories per gram compared the the 4 calories/gram protein and carbs carry, it needs to be used sparingly. Maybe get a spray pump for your olive oil since it's harder to overuse than pouring, and tell your husband he will deal with it :wink:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    My parents do the same. You could probably pour a full cup of olive oil out of the pan after they cook the veggies. usually peppers and onion on a cast iron skillet on the grill...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    If your husband likes more butter/oil than you, sautee the veggies with little oil, remove your portion, then melt in a pat of butter for him.

If the veggie start to stick with little oil, you can add a spoonful of broth or water. It will evaporate as the veggies cook.
  • I saute w/ butter spray and a little bit oil or believe it or not crisco. A little goes a long way. I love Zucchini w/ onions w/ added a little salt and less pepper. At the end I add a little lemon juice. I could eat this dish for dinner; it's so good.
    Or you could do the dish in the microwave or saute w/ a bit of chicken broth.
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    I just use vegetable broth or water. After a 30 year love affair with all things italian, I keep a really great tasting bottle of olive oil and add a teaspoon of oil over my food right before eating it. It's much fresher tasting and I can taste the veggies more distinctly. Try it sometime when your husband aint home!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Get an oil sprayer. Use olive oil or *gasp* canola. You don't need much.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member

yep! Olive oil is much better for you and it cuts down on carb cravings too! I usually just steam mine though in water and add a little pepper to them.
  • I just spray a little Pam or a use about 1tsp. of Olive Oil. Just keep stiring and cooking them, they will make their own sauce. Putting all that butter on them defeats the purpose. My husband is the same way though. I make all the vegetables at our house without butter and then he can add whatever he would like once Im done. Maybe this will work for you :)
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    If I am making stir fry I use some form of marinade, dressing or broth, but if they are being sauteed for a recipe, I use olive oil or coconut oil.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    I roast in the oven, much less oil and much more flavor. I especially like to use my stoneware for roasting veggies but you can do it with other cookware. Also try grilling .