ONE week, seriously?

Options
Holy smokes... It seems like every other forum post I've seen this week is people saying they've tried MFP for one whole week and have not seen any weight loss/results. A week? SERIOUSLY. Some of us have been at this for years and still haven't given up, whether we've reached our goals or not. Weight loss takes time and effort and a whole lot more than one week at the gym. Is it discouraging to get super fitness-oriented, change all your current habits and still see no results? Of course. Trust me, I’ve been there. But it's a week. You've just shocked your body and made it do things you probably haven't done in quite some time, or at least not on a regular basis. Your body is adjusting to a new way of life. Don't give up on it, keep helping your body and yourself. It takes time to figure out what workout/program/calorie count works best for you. Results take time. And if you want to see serious results, you certainly better be ready for more than just a week’s commitment.

I'm not trying to hate on all the newly-committed members, but honestly. Don't let one week get you so discouraged. If you're eating better, moving more, gaining more energy, etc., don't discount THAT progress with negative thoughts just because the number on the scale hasn't dropped. If you keep at it and keep giving it your all, you will start to see positve changes. Guaranteed.

Replies

• chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to hate on all the newly-committed members, but honestly. Don't let one week get you so discouraged. If you're eating better, moving more, gaining more energy, etc., don't discount THAT progress with negative thoughts just because the number on the scale hasn't dropped. If you keep at it and keep giving it your all, you will start to see positve changes. Guaranteed.

YES!!!
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    These are the people looking for magic pills and POOF weight is gone! Don't give up and work your *kitten* off people!
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Well said.
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    A lot of new years resolutions starting to fade out already as it seems, getting disheartened because no change in a week. It's a shame really, and I think we need to reassure them all. :nods:
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    It is damn hard work too lose weight and takes mindPOWAH to hold on
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes, one week shouldn't feel like such a defeat to people. But, you're talking the FIRST week. That's usually the week that people will lose the most weight, so not losing, or even gaining weight that FIRST week, is not a good sign. To me, it says they have their numbers wrong - most likely underestimating food. I was never a big loser on the first week (many people lose 4 or more pounds) but even I lost 2 lbs. the first week.

So, I can totally see people being frustrated that they didn't lose the first week - they really should have.
  • marthathebear
    Options
    It took me 3 years to lose 63 lbs. and this is the first time I feel like I can keep it off. It takes a long time to change your old ways.
  • ajfc1971
    ajfc1971 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    if only it took a week lol Well Said
  • Lbriggs82
    Options
    Indeed. You didn't put it on in a week, you ain't going to lose it in a week either.

Patience my pretty, it'll shift if you stick at it. Keep smiling!! :)
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the forums in January. Get used to it, as it's quite common for this month.
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Amen. I've been at this all my life. At this latest point, since May 31, 2012. Currently I'm only at the same 31 pounds that I've lost since the first 3 months down. You just have to keep trying. I'm right back at it, and happy to report that I've been eating and living healthier than ever in my life even with my slip ups.

It's a process, it's a life long devotion to yourself. Don't give up on yourself after a week, you're all worth more than that. Good luck all!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Noob season is in full effect.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes... It seems like every other forum post I've seen this week is people saying they've tried MFP for one whole week and have not seen any weight loss/results. A week? SERIOUSLY. Some of us have been at this for years and still haven't given up, whether we've reached our goals or not. Weight loss takes time and effort and a whole lot more than one week at the gym. Is it discouraging to get super fitness-oriented, change all your current habits and still see no results? Of course. Trust me, I’ve been there. But it's a week. You've just shocked your body and made it do things you probably haven't done in quite some time, or at least not on a regular basis. Your body is adjusting to a new way of life. Don't give up on it, keep helping your body and yourself. It takes time to figure out what workout/program/calorie count works best for you. Results take time. And if you want to see serious results, you certainly better be ready for more than just a week’s commitment.

I think what it is, is that when people make up their minds to start anew - whether it is a New Year's resolution, or any old time in the year, they ride that tide of self-righteous positivity and think that is the cure to all sins.
    Sometimes, they are rewarded with a quick 1-2lbs off (I'd say that's normally water weight or the effect of not drinking fizzy drinks every day) and then suddenly when their bodies get wise, they freak out... hence post-a-palooza!

Hopefully in time they will settle down, read up stuff, tweak numbers and their journey will continue, like every one elses.
    Then again, there will always be a handful that think that this is easy... and as many have said - that weight didn't go on in a week, so prepare for longer for it to come off.

For some, I'm happy to be supportive... for others I read, chuckle and then move on!
  • kdzi
    kdzi Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quotes:

"There is no magic pill. If there was, I'd have it." --Oprah Winfrey

You don't need to buy anything. You need to FIND your motivation. And, as my photo says...the secret is to KEEP GOING.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    blah blah blah, you ovbiously forget what it is like to be new. Smoe people only know weightloss from things like the biggest loser where they lose 10 - 20 pounds that first week.

Show some compassion these people are bonified to be frustrated, let them know they are not alone, and that one week will always be different from the next.
  • dawnsjourney
    dawnsjourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've only been here a week but have been on this journey for over a year. Okay most of my life. But seriously only a year. :) I think MFP is an outstanding too. I think of it as a contest against myself. Somedays I win big, somedays win small. But everyday I win.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes I have been back to MFP for almost a year but a week is not enough time, and does it get frustrating? yes, but honestly, a person needs more time then a week to lose and keep it off for life :flowerforyou:
  • Lbriggs82
    Options

For some, I'm happy to be supportive... for others I read, chuckle and then move on!

Love it!!! Hahaha. :)
  • zoeyloves101
    Options
    Another thing is that you might see people (like me) who are so extremely overweight that a in few days exercising and eating right you lose a lot. It's not that way for most people and the weight loss REALLY slows down if you're not careful. The key is to make tons of friends and stay motivated!