Running?

Options
2»

Replies

• akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k
    Good running music (helps to set a pace)
    Good running shoes
    Keep with it! You'll me amazed how far you will come! I seriously couldn't do intervals between lamp posts last March and now I'm training for a half marathon! I'm not a running lover but I have such an appreciation for going from not being able to run a minute continuously to being able to run a 10k now :) You'll get there!!!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    The hardest part or running is that first 5 minutes, or for some, the first mile. :)

Yes^^ I didn't do Couch2K, I started on my own. Go slow when you are first starting out. It'll take at least 30 days for your body to get used to it so stick with it. Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • sally414
    Options
    Couch to 5k is awesome! The mobile app (if you have Android or iPhone) is awesome - it guides you through the workouts so you don't even have to think, just follow what it tells you to do!

I got up to Week 7 and stopped - my body/knees are just not fit for running long distances, but I can run for about 30 minutes without stopping now. Which is good enough for me!
  • gretchenwb
    gretchenwb Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think the key is to persist, keep pushing yourself, and MIX it up. At least I hope this is correct because I have been jogging/geriatric shuffling since May but my weight loss has stalled, so as of Dec 31 I have added strength, cardio, classes, Fartleks, etc. From all I have read the key is properly combining strength and weight training with cardio, and using interval training in both of those areas in order to demand more of our bodies...not to mention to keep things from getting boring:)
  • jgollnick
    jgollnick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I hear great things about c25k. I am actually going to check it out myself. In the meantime this is how I got started. You need to build endurance. On the treadmill I did 20 min of power walking at 4.0 mph. My treadmill has a mode that throws random inclines. This will get your heart going. It's important for fat burning and physical gain that you periodically spike your energy exertion. So out of that 20 minutes, every 5 to 6 minutes I would bump up to 6 mph and run for a minute which gives you about 3 to 4 minutes of running. After 2 months I have lost almost 20 lbs and can run a mile in about 10 min.

31512657.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Try the Couch to 5K and do not give up. The more you run, the longer you will be able to go. I started off running 5 to 10 min's, and now can run a rull marathon.

Good luck
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Good for you! C25k as plenty of others have suggested. I started running with the programme a couple of years ago, did a half marathon Nov 2011.... since lost the plot on so many levels BUT today I just did C25k day 1 week 1 using a free app from itunes and I feel fab! If you want to build up running together please send an add I would like company getting back into running :)
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    When I started running I could only run a minute and then had to walk a minute. Over time I was able to run a little longer. The key is to not run too fast when you do run. You should be able to speak in complete sentences when you’re running. If you can't, slow down. Good luck, it took time for me to be able to run and now I'm addicted. I went from not being able to run, to running multiple marathons in only a couple of years.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    Just keep slowly increasing, stay at this for a bit. I'm using the Couch to 5K program and that gets you slowly up to where we want to be. I actually seem to breath better running outside than in the gym, I think it's because of the warmth of the gym when it's cool outside myself.
  • souperficial
    souperficial Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you can, start running outside instead of inside. I can run for 45 minutes straight on the treadmill, but I can barely run for three minutes outside. Right now, I'm trying to get faster on a treadmill, so I've been running for 30 minutes, but increasing my speed by .1 every day.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    If you're new to running (which it sounds like you are) it takes awhile to get in the hang of it. As others have mentioned, C25K is a good program. But don't get discouraged, it takes awhile to get there. Every time you get on the treadmill, just increase your running time, even if it's only a few seconds each time you run. You'll get there. Believe me, if I could do it, you can! :flowerforyou:
  • christy3565
    Options
    Thank you everyone so much for your advice! I have downloaded the C25K app and will give it a shot. It's funny I never thought I would ever be a runner, let alone running half marathons and whatnot, but never and cant aren't in my vocabulary anymore :wink: