any suggestions for feeding my vegetarian friend

Options
leelu
leelu Posts: 136 Member
in the past when she would come round i would make something like pasta - this is not an option as we are both trying to diet (and she has been doing amazing !!! )

any hints for something that i can make under about 400 calories, thats nice enough to serve all my guests

Replies

• gracefullyjenn
    Options
    Something with quinoa and veggies? or a stir fry with brown rice?
  • sdscouser
    sdscouser Posts: 320
    Options
    Portebello mushrooms, stuffed with light philadelphia cream cheese, baked in the oven for 20-25 minutes served with steamed veg.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Check out www.vegweb.com
    There are lots of vegetarian and vegan recipies. I love this site and will recomened it to anyone trying to find tasty veg friendly meals. It also usually gives step by step instructions (if you're not familiar with using soy or the other ingredients).
  • corin1533
    Options
    Try Fish Tacos. They are YUMMY!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Whole grain pasta as a side is ok. Have a hearty grilled eggplant and a big salad with lots of veggies.

Veggie lasagna

Risotto

Veggie stir fry with brown rice

Veggie pizza and salad

Look at www.vegetariantimes.com for recipes and entertaining ideas.
  • leelu
    Options
    Check out www.vegweb.com
    There are lots of vegetarian and vegan recipies. I love this site and will recomened it to anyone trying to find tasty veg friendly meals. It also usually gives step by step instructions (if you're not familiar with using soy or the other ingredients).

What a great site !!! I think i might try the mushroom soup, it looks great and i love mushrooms, have some flat bread and salad with it i am sure will go down just fine. Thanks for this !! Bookmarked!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Check out www.vegweb.com

What a great site !!! I think i might try the mushroom soup, it looks great and i love mushrooms, have some flat bread and salad with it i am sure will go down just fine. Thanks for this !! Bookmarked!

Sure thing. I've been a vegetarian my entire life and I found this site a few years ago and I love it.
  • lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options

Fish is not vegetarian :-o

I would suggest making quinoa or a low-fat casserole... I make one every once in a while, a cheese enchilada casserole, that is made with fat-free cottage cheese.. and some other cheeses. It is a very healthy choice as long as you keep the servings in the right portion size. My fiance isn't a vegetarian and he loves it.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options

I would suggest making quinoa or a low-fat casserole... I make one every once in a while, a cheese enchilada casserole, that is made with fat-free cottage cheese.. and some other cheeses. It is a very healthy choice as long as you keep the servings in the right portion size. My fiance isn't a vegetarian and he loves it.

Actually it is...it's pescitarian which is a form of vegetarianism...it's not vegan by any means, though.
  • leelu
    Options
    she doesnt eat fish. she is not a vegan tho
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    she doesnt eat fish. she is not a vegan tho

She's just a strict veg....I was for many years (then I became pregnant...had to eat more protein-I was becoming anemic so I started eating fish-I now eat it maybe once a month).
  • shellleebrooks
    Options
    Just FYI Fish Tacos will not work for a vegetarian.... a true vegetarian doesn't eat fish...
  • lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options

Actually it is...it's pescitarian which is a form of vegetarianism...it's not vegan by any means, though.

I don't consider that vegetarian, the same goes for most vegetarians. Most people don't refer to themselves as vegetarian if they eat any sort of animal... and it's unsafe to assume that. I've sadly been given fish before at restaurants that don't quite understand the meaning of being a vegetarian... my Dad saved me once from chomping into a "vegetarian" spring roll that he could see had shrimp.. icky!
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I agree with THEMAID...
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

I don't consider that vegetarian, the same goes for most vegetarians. Most people don't refer to themselves as vegetarian if they eat any sort of animal... and it's unsafe to assume that. I've sadly been given fish before at restaurants that don't quite understand the meaning of being a vegetarian... my Dad saved me once from chomping into a "vegetarian" spring roll that he could see had shrimp.. icky!

I know a number of vegetarians that eat chicken, fish, or cheese. Pescitarian is a FORM of Vegetarianism. I ate chicken and fish on occasion for a while, but still considered myself a vegetarian. I don't think you are qualified to speak on behalf of "most vegetarians" and if you want to, you may want to brush up on the lingo, definitions, and different styles of vegetarianism.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options

I know a number of vegetarians that eat chicken, fish, or cheese. Pescitarian is a FORM of Vegetarianism. I ate chicken and fish on occasion for a while, but still considered myself a vegetarian. I don't think you are qualified to speak on behalf of "most vegetarians" and if you want to, you may want to brush up on the lingo, definitions, and different styles of vegetarianism.
    Thanks Holly! You rock!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I agree with THEMAID...

Thank you.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

Thanks Holly! You rock!

I fall in the category of pescatarian.
    I eat surf but pass on the turf. :wink:

Going to check out that fish taco recipe now....
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Black bean quesadillas
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Black bean quesadillas

With cheese and corn??
    YUM!