Hard time eating back calories burned

Options
13»

Replies

• junip1977
    junip1977 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how people can eat so little. I've been doing MFP for a year and a half...and what I ate for breakfast today is almost your calorie intake for the whole day. Much larger breakfast than normal, but if that was all I could eat all day? I'd be the world's biggest b*tch! lol I'm sure you can find something extra to eat. A handful of nuts? A bowl of cereal? I have a hard time believing anyone would feel full after eating so little all day. Good luck!

I agree!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Come back when you have a more POSITIVE QUESTION.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    A kot of people are willing to give advice without all of the facts. For instance, how tall you are. That will play into how many calories you need. I have a mother-in-law who is 4'10". She shouldn't be eating the almighty 1200 calories (and she doesn't). Without seeing your food diary it is tough to tell where you can add calories. Instead of trying to eat back your workout calories I would suggest that you figure out what your BMR is and try to gradually hit that number. Are you estimating what you are eating or are you measuring and weighing everything that goes into your mouth. If you are not measuring I would suggest that you start doing that first. You may find that you are easting more than you think.

Little items like nuts or cheese may be the way to add to your calories if you are truly only eating 800 calories. It takes guts to ask questions so I congratulate you on at least posting your question.

I would concur to an extent...but for the vast majority of people, 1,200 calories is pretty much the absolute minimum they should NET to. For many women, 1,200 net is somewhat below their BMR. If you are then doing a lot of exercising and not eating back any exercise calories, I think it's a pretty safe assumption that the individual isn't eating enough and not getting the macro and micro nutrients their body needs.
  • Makeda1211
    Makeda1211 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    One thing that I do to burn upwards of 600 calories in a day is to do Zumba. 1 hour of Zumba is approximately 600 calories lost and it doesn't even feel like working out at all. It's the reason I go to the gym.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Take a second look at the accuracy of your measurements for both calorie intake and calorie burn.

There's a very good chance you're underestimating calorie intake and overestimating calorie burn.

If you're confident it's as accurate as possible. Fatty foods are high in calories. Nuts, avocados, fatty meats, whole fat dairy. Give those a shot.

Eat 5 tablespoons of peanut butter throughout the day
    Pop 5 grams of fish oil in the morning
    Dice a medium avocado over your salad and drizzle two tablespoons of olive oil on it

That's over 1000 calories right there.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for understanding! I did not sign up for people to bash me, and will not let it bring me down!! Its sad when people are so judgemental and jump to conclusions just because its not "normal to them" I am 5"4" 1/2 ;} My goal weight is my senior year weight at 155lbs size 3/5. I am VERY muscual naturally so I doubt ill ever get lower then that which is fine with me. I am trying to understand all of this because In high school I was a year round athlete so I was always in shape and could eat whatever I wanted.

If you have a lot of muscle your basal metabolic rate should be substantially higher than someone of the same height/ weight who carries less muscle and more fat. So you need even more calories and nutrients that we have assumed for health and wellbeing. People are telling you like it is because they don't want you to get sick and because they care, you can read judgemental and bashing into it if you want but maybe that says as much about you as it does about us? You have had some sound responses, it's up to you if you want to listen to the ones telling you what you want to hear or the truth. You can eat more you choose not to or have trained your body to demand far less, you have just revealed that by saying you ate whatever you wanted in high school.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    First of all, you definately need more calories to be healthy, so just make yourself eat more.

As far as everyone bashing you for having a hard time eating more, well,, maybe they didn't experience it, so ignore them.

When I started this, I started eating healthier food and didn't get the carb rush/starving 30 minutes later thing anymore. I also started eating more protein so I stayed full longer. THAT is why I never felt hungry anymore. I was eating the way I was supposed to in the first place. For example, you can eat one cup of Velveeta shells and cheese and be starving right away,, or... eat 4 oz of lean meat, a ton of veggies and whole grain bread and be full until your next meal.

After I started burning 600 cals during my workout, I got hungry again. Now, I MUST exercise because I want those bigger meals and I still lose inches!

Good luck and eat more calorie dense, healthy foods like others suggested. Nuts, oils, etc.
  • peaceloveweedandveggies
    Options
    i totally understand where your coming from.everyone is different and what works for some may not for others. dont worry about it. try and add some small things and if not oh well.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    i totally understand where your coming from.everyone is different and what works for some may not for others. dont worry about it. try and add some small things and if not oh well.

Someone from Yale said that first.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    800? Whooooaaaaaaaa..that's seriously low! I'm 5'1 and eating 1600 calories and still losing.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.

For the whole eating under a 1000 calories, look...you are going to do what you want but check out the link below at some of the stories of people who thought it was okay (especially because they weren't "feeling" hungry a lot of times) but ended up regretting it. These links are just information to give you options. I'm not preaching or trying to tell you or anyone what is the "right way"...just throwing some info your way is all.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521480-1000-calories-or-less-a-day