Muffin Top

Options
Hi, I am not overweight, but could just do with losing a couple of pounds and toning up. The bit that always gets to me and upsets me more than anything else is my muffin top. No matter what i do diet/exercise wise, it doesnt go. I do a lot of exercise-cardio, weights etc and i eat well the majority of the time, but the fat on my lower back just wont budge.
Anyone got any ideas or suggestions? I would really appreciate it :)

Replies

• kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've been told that it's all diet at that point. Low sugar, low carb- lean meats/proteins and veggies are key to getting rid of it. Good luck!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Toning up does not exist because all muscles have tone unless you are incapable of standing, I assume you mean you want to build lean muscle and lose a little bodyfat. Less quantity of exercise more quality: try training maximum four times a week for maximum one hour, high intensity cardio intervals and heavy weights working a lot of muscle mass at once. Many women just don't work hard enough to get serious results, either they are chronically under-recovered or they don't realise what they are capable of.

Nutrition wise no idea what are you doing at present, your diary is locked. Aim for a low glycaemic index, anti stress diet and lifestyle. Plenty of nutrients which are associated in the literature with reduced bodyfat such as those in oily fish and reduced fat dairy. Lose processed, high glycaemic index, low nutrient and junk food.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    I've been told that it's all diet at that point. Low sugar, low carb- lean meats/proteins and veggies are key to getting rid of it. Good luck!

And sticking with it for a LONG time lol. Adipose fat is SO hard to eliminate
  • VanillaBone
    VanillaBone Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Key to immediately losing muffin top: WEAR PANTS THAT FIT. If that means going up a size, so be it.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Key to immediately losing muffin top: WEAR PANTS THAT FIT. If that means going up a size, so be it.

Win \m/
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Ha, made me laugh.

OP, from the experience of a lot of other women on this site, it seems that lifting heavy is the key. (And I mean heavy, like using the 45lb barbell and then add additional weights.) Get off the machines and explore the free weights section of your gym. Most of the success stories also say they cut down cardio when they started lifting heavy. I am at the start of my journey, so I can't provide much personal help.
  • allie491
    allie491 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I'm in the same boat as you, stupid muffin top.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I have one of those too!! but the good news it is diminishing - with each pound I lose it gets smaller!! I think you'll find as you lose a few more pounds it will disappear - in saying that, I do think where we store our fat is genetic, I know myself I will never completely lose it (and it doesn't help that most trousers are low rise either!) but I am loving my newer shape and as another commented, buy good fitting trousers/jeans and that'll take care of it :)
  • ciaramcevoy85
    ciaramcevoy85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you're already doing this. But side planks work really well. I tend to be the same, not overweight but for me it's upper thighs and at times muffin top. The only thing that works for me is side planks. You can really feel the burn. And it only takes a couple of minutes. So maybe try do them a few times a day when you get the chance. Good luck!
  • tpow1196
    tpow1196 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Win \m/

:) I have a bakers dozen! Wearing tight pants makes it even worse.
  • Theamers0528
    Options
    Of course idk what your diet looks like already but lower back and lower abs and thighs are stubborn fat areas for most people and it will be the very last place that your body will lose at.... And I'm about to go nutrition geek here but unless your literally reaching sub 20% body fat which is becoming lean for females most of the time those stubborn fat areas won't ever leave.... And if lean mass and fat loss are your goal... Unless you have been weight training for years your still a beginner and will benefit from basically any weight program if your lifting heavy. And HIIT cardio will or a least can ruin your muscle gains because your body will target carbs for energy instead of fat.... Use low intensity steady state cardio while having and empty stomach while supplementing with caffeine and a supplement called yohimbine (I know you probably never heard of it or only heard of it as a male enhancement drug) but yohimbine has benefits for losing stubborn fat from hard areas like the lower back...
    Macros for nutrition while trying to lean out and build muscle would have to look like this
    Workout days - weight training
    1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass
    About 1.2 grams of carbs per lb of mean body pass
    Fats keep at about .4 grams per lb
    150 lb per at 20% bf would eat 130 grams protein 176 grams carbs and 25 grams of fat
    Non weight training days- low intensity cardio
    Early morning cardio with no food while taking 300mg caffeine and 12mg yohimbine 45 min cardio
    130 G protein
    Less than 60 grams of carbs
    100 grams or lower of fats
    This is for optimal gains in strength and losing purely fat and is a very complicated diet but this would most likely get you into almost fitness model shape if your into that... Like I said I went nutrition geek on ya but trying to help :D
  • xxxemaxxx
    xxxemaxxx Posts: 29 Member
    Options

I think it would occur even if i did gfo up a size, but the size i wear is the right size for my legs/bum etc. if i went up a size, it would be baggy :( im not squeezing myself in to clothes that are too small (i hate that look!)
  • xxxemaxxx
    xxxemaxxx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I wasn't aware that my food diary was locked so i'll open it now. :)
  • kirstyg1980
    Options

Ha, made me laugh.

OP, from the experience of a lot of other women on this site, it seems that lifting heavy is the key. (And I mean heavy, like using the 45lb barbell and then add additional weights.) Get off the machines and explore the free weights section of your gym. Most of the success stories also say they cut down cardio when they started lifting heavy. I am at the start of my journey, so I can't provide much personal help.

This ^^^^^^^^
  • cazzy147
    Options
    I have the exact same probably.
    For me, i'm not so bothered about weight anymore, just shape
    I'm keeping with my healthy diet, and trying to mix up different cardio with wieghts.
    It is by far to most difficult part of your body to perfect.
    All i can suggest is keep to the healthy diet, loosing a few pounds will make it smaller, but lots of cardio to burn fat and lots of weight training to gain some decent muscles which will help the burn a lot more.
    It just a game of patients and commitment =[
    We will get rid of it though if we keep going! Promise!
  • VanillaBone
    Options
    So...you're not overweight, and eating well and exercise have had no effect on it, but it's still definitely not the pants.

Maybe some kind of subcutaneous, parasitic bulge-worm?
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options

SOME OF US ARENT THAT LUCKY... because of my MUFFIN TOP I had to wear pants that were 2 or 3 sizes TOO BIG everywhere else..... THAT LOOKS A MESS!!!!
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Besides the snarky comments, most of the advice given above is solid. Change up your workout routine to more heavy lifting and some cardio and see if that will do the trick..... best of luck to you!
  • VanillaBone
    Options
    SOME OF US ARENT THAT LUCKY... because of my MUFFIN TOP I had to wear pants that were 2 or 3 sizes TOO BIG everywhere else..... THAT LOOKS A MESS!!!!

Then I guess it comes down to personal preference; baggy jeans or rolls sticking out the bottom of your shirt?
    Or, go to a tailor...or try a different fit...a different brand..There are options.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    lose more weight?