Vegan Diet

Options

Replies

• iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    That really depends on who you ask. There is a lot of research that suggests that a diet comprised of mostly plant foods can lower your risk of all kinds of diseases- from cancer to diabetes. I have never seen a study that suggests a meat-eating diet does that? With that said, I don't think veganism is for everyone. But when done right, it can be a very healthy, sustainable eating plan.

Yes, "mostly plant foods", that doesn't mean veganism or even vegetarianism.

Again, it depends on who you ask. Many doctors, such as Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn Jr., M.D would disagree with you. He helped patients with serious heart problems regain their health with a strictly vegan diet. His book and research is fascinating.

And again, I am not saying its for everyone. But neither is eating meat. People can live perfectly healthy lives on a vegan or vegetarian diet. And if you have a personal issue with the way animals are treated, and can live a healthy life without that, then why not do it? Saying people MUST be vegan is wrong. But saying people MUST eat some meat is also wrong. Each can be healthy, which is all I am trying to point out.
  • kuderstadt
    kuderstadt Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a while and found it VERY restrictive. I read "The Kind Diet" by Alicia Silverstone, and used some of her recipes. I think I lasted maybe 3 months, did see some weight loss, but really didn't enjoy it.
    Now I'm eating locally raised pork and beef, actually from the farmer just one km down the road. I have my own chickens for eggs and am planning to do meat birds this year. I think knowing where your food comes from and knowing how it's raised and treated really helps me to be thankful for the food that the animals provide. I also cut back on the amount of meat our family eats. Portion size has been a big focus of mine lately!!
    Have you read "Food Rules" by Michael Pollan? There are some good 'rules' on meat eating.. part II talks about what kinds of foods to eat... meat as a flavouring, not an entree, best to eat mostly plants, then fowl, then pork/beef...
    :-)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

Again, it depends on who you ask. Many doctors, such as Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn Jr., M.D would disagree with you. He helped patients with serious heart problems regain their health with a strictly vegan diet. His book and research is fascinating.

People with serious heart problems are not representative of the whole population, so propagandizing that veganism is generally healthier than being an omnivore because it's helped heart disease patients is a skewed claim.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    I tried it for a while and found it VERY restrictive. I read "The Kind Diet" by Alicia Silverstone, and used some of her recipes. I think I lasted maybe 3 months, did see some weight loss, but really didn't enjoy it.
    Now I'm eating locally raised pork and beef, actually from the farmer just one km down the road. I have my own chickens for eggs and am planning to do meat birds this year. I think knowing where your food comes from and knowing how it's raised and treated really helps me to be thankful for the food that the animals provide. I also cut back on the amount of meat our family eats. Portion size has been a big focus of mine lately!!
    Have you read "Food Rules" by Michael Pollan? There are some good 'rules' on meat eating.. part II talks about what kinds of foods to eat... meat as a flavouring, not an entree, best to eat mostly plants, then fowl, then pork/beef...
    :-)

Michael Pollan is a perfectly reasonable person who takes a lot of the bias out of eating, I really like his viewpoints in the books of his I've read. Worth reading if you want to eat better and learn where food comes from, but aren't interested in being converted to someone else's food religion
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options

People with serious heart problems are not representative of the whole population, so propagandizing that veganism is generally healthier than being an omnivore because it's helped heart disease patients is a skewed claim.

That was only one example. There are many, many more. But see my other post- I am NOT saying it's for everyone. I am simply saying that not everyone has to eat meat to be healthy. Just like not everyone has to be vegan to be healthy. Both can be healthy- its a matter of what works for one's own body.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    There is nothing at all wrong with a vegan diet except that it's more difficult to get your nutrients so you need to be more careful of what you eat. If you're willing to take the time and trouble to do your research and cook you should be golden. VoV had some very good suggestions. Good luck and enjoy!
  • MadameMoustache
    MadameMoustache Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am now vegan since a couple of years ( approx. 2 years). What helped me to do the switch is that I was vegetarian since 5 years before this, so I was used to cook without meat.
    It's not so hard to go vegan, yes you will meet some products you never encountered before (the first time I used nutritional yeast I had no idea what the heck it was) and you will have to learn some other ways to cook and bake, but once it's done, it's so easy.
    I'm now really good at veganizing all kinds of non-vegan recipes easily.
    Try to go on vegweb.com and try some recipes, you'll see it's not that hard.
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I dont think MFP is the best place to ask this. Try going into one of the vegan groups on here and asking. Or better yet, try it out and see for yourself.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    I dont think MFP is the best place to ask this. Try going into one of the vegan groups on here and asking. Or better yet, try it out and see for yourself.

The OP did ask if people hated the vegan diet. If you want a skewed opinion on whether or not to start a vegan diet, a vegan group is definitely the place to go
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Yeah, because the people who actually live by a vegan diet have a "skewed" view on things. No more a messed up view than anyone who doesn't live by it. Like I said, if OP wants to know, they should just try it out themselves and not worry about anyone else.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I think it's because some vegans tend to wear their diet on their sleeves and project an air of ethical superiority.
    That brings out the troll in many non-vegans.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    There is nothing at all wrong with a vegan diet except that it's more difficult to get your nutrients so you need to be more careful of what you eat. If you're willing to take the time and trouble to do your research and cook you should be golden. VoV had some very good suggestions. Good luck and enjoy!

actually if you just use common sense and make sure you are eating a variety of whole foods that include veggies, grains, beans, and fruit...you have no problem at all getting every nutrient the human body needs to function. the one exception is B12, and a simple supplement taken on occasion, and only if you are very strictly vegan for an extended time, will take care of that. there are studies out there that people have gone extended periods of time eating nothing but the humble white potato and met all of their bodies nutrient needs. (and I mean potatoes not fries or chips)

There is tons of research out there about the benefits of a whole foods vegan diet. Forks over Knives is a good place to start.

As for the ethics of eating animals...I am not going to even touch that. But know that there will always be people who assume the worst of vegans and seem to go out of their way to be hurtful. Its sadly ironic.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Yeah, because the people who actually live by a vegan diet have a "skewed" view on things. No more a messed up view than anyone who doesn't live by it. Like I said, if OP wants to know, they should just try it out themselves and not worry about anyone else.
    [/quote]

"Skewed" isn't "messed up". "Skewed" means "biased". The OP is looking for a difference of opinions. If you really believe she shouldn't be listening to other people's experiences then I'm not sure why you responded.

Anyway.

I spent 8 years as a vegetarian, 1 as a vegan. I currently don't eat a lot of meat, I can go a couple of days without meat in my diet, and it's usually something like chicken or fish. Red meat occasionally. I have so much more energy and alertness on days that I have adequate protein and would never go back to restricting myself to veganism.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Try not to humanize animals

Someone thinks a bit much of himself.. lol.. humans aren't the only living creatures with a level of intelligence and ability to feel joy/pain. Such an ignorant comment.

I've been a vegan for 8 years, nearly 9. Never been healthier or more full of energy in a physical, emotional, mental and spiritual sense. If you want to approach it successfully, I would advise you to do research about nutrition (this applies to all people, not just vegans) and what your food options are at home/work. I'd be more than glad to help you if you'd like to add me.
    I spent 8 years as a vegetarian, 1 as a vegan. I currently don't eat a lot of meat, I can go a couple of days without meat in my diet, and it's usually something like chicken or fish. Red meat occasionally. I have so much more energy and alertness on days that I have adequate protein and would never go back to restricting myself to veganism.

With any diet, you should be conscious of what you're putting in your body. Veganism doesn't restrict your protein intake - it just changes your sources of protein. I exercise 4-5x/week (high intensity cardio and weights) and get plenty of protein daily. 50g-80g on days without protein supplements, 70-100g on days with protein supplements.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I dont think MFP is the best place to ask this. People on here are *kitten* when it comes to it. Try going into one of the vegan groups on here and asking. Or better yet, try it out and see for yourself.

The OP did ask if people hated the vegan diet. No one has been an *kitten* so far that I've seen, but if you want a skewed opinion on whether or not to start a vegan diet, a vegan group is definitely the place to go
    I think it's because some vegans tend to wear their diet on their sleeves and project an air of ethical superiority.

its a shame however that the trolls come even if there is no sense of superiority. I dont feel superior to anyone, but I am proud of the fact that no animals are killed or harmed to make food for me. Dont see how that is any different that people being proud of hunting or fishing conquests. and often it is the omnis who ACT all sanctimonious...not the veggie lovers...
  • secretlobster
    Options
    "Hey guys, what are your personal experiences with a vegan diet?"
    "Vegans are more uppity!"
    "No, non-vegans are more uppity!"

Great thread, it's been fun
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I dont think MFP is the best place to ask this. People on here are *kitten* when it comes to it. Try going into one of the vegan groups on here and asking. Or better yet, try it out and see for yourself.

The OP did ask if people hated the vegan diet. No one has been an *kitten* so far that I've seen, but if you want a skewed opinion on whether or not to start a vegan diet, a vegan group is definitely the place to go

its a shame however that the trolls come even if there is no sense of superiority. I dont feel superior to anyone, but I am proud of the fact that no animals are killed or harmed to make food for me. Dont see how that is any different that people being proud of hunting or fishing conquests. and often it is the omnis who ACT all sanctimonious...not the veggie lovers...
    I don't like either of those.
    Food is a requirement not a bragging point. Unless you are a good chef of course...
  • rockymtnlove
    Options
    I went vegan at the new year. I love it so far, no complaints! I feel better already physically, more clear headed as well. I have also been sleeping better, dropped 2 lbs this week, and seen my skin improve slightly. And that is only in 8 days.
  • fenwayc1
    fenwayc1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for almost two years now and have not complaints. I thought giving up cheese was going to be hard, but it really wasn't bad for me. I am also a runner and this year I have run the fastest in all distances, including the marathon and attribute it to my diet.

I do believe that there is a food plan that works for everyone, you just need to try and find what works for you.
  • sublimechik28
    sublimechik28 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I watched Forks over Knives and Vegecated. thats what got me thinking. i love fruits, veggies, nuts etc. just dont like taking the time to prepare things. would love quick prep meals.