Salmon

Options
So, when I eat out I usually always get some type of fish and 9 out of 10 it's salmon. I like it.
Last night I attempted it again on my own. No bueno!!!!! It's very fishy and I don't like it.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I usually marinate it in low sodium teriyake sauce and bake it at a high temp til cooked through. I use a little more teriyake sauce for dipping. Never had a problem with it tasting too fishy that way.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Buy better quality salmon. Whole foods or a fishmonger if you have one available.

Or go with smoked salmon, which is super tasty.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Where did you buy it?

Target's "Market Pantry" brand salmon is delicious.
  • millerne
    millerne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you find salmon a bit fishy go for a white fish like cod/haddock/hake/coley

but i'd work towards including salmon in your diet because salmon and mackrel are great sources of omega 3 oil
  • virgolove34
    virgolove34 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I made salmon for the first time last week. I found a recipe that called for Dijon mustard and pecans.. Google it. It was really good and my family loved it.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Yea ultra fishy smell is probably bad fish. Find a new market.

I know this is going to sound so weird to a lot of people but I started using Montreal chicken seasoning on my fish. It's amazing. Especially on Talapia.
    Not weird. I use that stuff on lots of things. :wink:
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't smell fishy at all, like others have said above, then it is probably icky fish.

I will do a balsamic maple glaze when I feel ambitious, or a lot of the time I'll just put Dill or use Mrs Dash onion and herb. I loathe when restaurants put heavy cream sauces on salmons or tons of any kind of marinade.....I love the flavor of this fish. Even with just a little pam spray and sea salt is fantastic to me.

Best salmon I ever had was from Fresh Market - king salmon. yum
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So, when I eat out I usually always get some type of fish and 9 out of 10 it's salmon. I like it.
    Last night I attempted it again on my own. No bueno!!!!! It's very fishy and I don't like it.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!

If this is the first time you've cooked salmon you may have overcooked it. Salmon is best cooked medium rare and the fishy taste increases the longer you cook it.
  • purpleluv6
    purpleluv6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you get salmon.. remember to buy wild Alaskan Salmon.... farm raised salmon is grown in dense-packed pens near ocean shores, fed fish meal that can be polluted with toxic PCB chemicals, awash in excrement flushed out to sea and infused with antibiotics to combat unsanitary conditions .... also at least for myself... Wild Alaskan taste much better
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    You either have fish that isn't fresh, previously frozen salmon is notorious. Overcooking also heats the natural oils of the fish, which can be fishier smelling, depending on the fish and salmon qualifies there. For some reason people tend to cook their fish far too long, hence the bad reputation for home use.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If you get salmon.. remember to buy wild Alaskan Salmon.... farm raised salmon is grown in dense-packed pens near ocean shores, fed fish meal that can be polluted with toxic PCB chemicals, awash in excrement flushed out to sea and infused with antibiotics to combat unsanitary conditions .... also at least for myself... Wild Alaskan taste much better
    Farmed fish helps reduce over-fishing and drag net fishing. It's dangers are overstated.
    At Idaho University, Dr. Ronald Hardy estimated that the average yearly PCB intake is about 30 ug from farmed salmon, 200 ug from pork, 300 ug from poultry, 700 ug from milk, and 2,400 ug from beef. Evidently, farmed salmon is not a significant source of PCB exposure compared to other foods. Dr. Hardy concluded, “Even if Americans doubled their intake of farmed salmon, the contribution of this consumption on total yearly PCB intake would still be 40–80 times less than the amount from beef.
    http://fairquestions.typepad.com/rethink_campaigns/did-david-suzuki-prevaricate-about-pcbs-in-farmed-salmon.html
    There are no consistent differences between wild and farmed fish both in terms of safety and nutritional contribution," says the European Food safety Authority.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Why not wild Atlantic salmon? It tastes awesome and usually has a higher omega-3 content than Alaskan.
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    For those of you who like salmon, do any of the chain restaurants make a particularly good salmon dish? I would like to try it prepared by someone who knows what they're doing before attempting on my own! :-)
  • Niivsmom
    Niivsmom Posts: 145
    Options
    I buy frozen salmon, and yes it can smell a little stronger than fresh.

My favorite is to cook it at low-med temp (like 4 for electric stove) in a non stick pan or with a spray of butter pam, uncovered for like 6-7 minutes on each side or until almost cooked through to the middle, depending on the thickness. I am from Louisiana so we have/use Tony's. It's spicy and full of flavor. A little on one side is perfect. If not Mrs. Dash original or table is so good!

It gives the salmon a good crust and it doesn't over-cook. I'm loving salmon tacos right now with spinach, shredded low fat cheese, sour cream and salsa or hot sauce. It's filling and very yummy!

Sometimes cooking at high temps releases a milky looking substance that can at times change the flavor, but not too much change.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    As others have stated the fish may not have been as fresh as it should have. Some of the frozen salmon I've purchased isn't always the best so until you learn what good fresh salmon tastes like I would stick with a fish monger. They can also help with preparation.

The only salmon I'd ever encountered until a few years ago was smoked and I hated it. Until I tried it fresh at a sushi restaurant I thought I didn't like salmon. A friend also suggested baking it in alluminum with sliced lemon and dill. That is so..tasty. I rarely make salmon without lemon juice. Marinated in maple syrup is good too.
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You guys rock! I will take all this into consideration.

Just to clarify it doesn't smell fishy just taste a little bit too fishy for my taste buds. :)

But everyone has really helped me out!!! I will try for sure.
    Thanks!
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm loving salmon tacos right now with spinach, shredded low fat cheese, sour cream and salsa or hot sauce. It's filling and very yummy!

Oh wow, I love the idea of salmon tacos! I grew up as a very picky eater, so I have to work at it to really incorporate new, healthier foods into my lifestyle. This sounds like a great way to go!
  • kslibbin
    kslibbin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    GRILLING IS FABULOUS!!