Fitbit vs Bodymedia

Options
I have found out through here that fitbit is coming out with a wrist type device and I want one. I have wanted a bodybugg or bodymedia since they came out but having to wear that bulcky thing on my arm I didn't like..

So what are some of the Pros and Cons of eitehr the current fitbit or bdoymedia>
I don't plan on syncing it to MFP because I don't want to mess anything up but I was to be able to see sleep patterns and how many calories I am actually using a day. Yes I know it is a tool

Replies

• MasterKat
    MasterKat Posts: 149
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia and I love it. I thought wearing it on my arm would bug me but I forget it's even there. Its pretty accurate when measuring my activity.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit 1 and love IT! I clip it on my bra during the day, and then the wrist strap is for sleep mode, and I think it's very comfortable to wear. Don't notice it at all. Fitbit slips in the little pocket after starting the timer. Bought one for my daughter for Christmas and she's also very happy with it.......
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia Fit and I love it.

The only bad thing I've heard about the FitBit (from someone who has one) is that it counts going over elevated bridges as stairs climbed because it uses an altimeter for the stair climbing measurement. The BodyMedia Fit doesn't do that.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Fitbit because it doesn't require a monthly fee to use the site.
  • omisspenguino
    omisspenguino Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit 1 also. I got it for Christmas and I LOVE it. It syncs easily, I never notice I have it on, and the site is easy to use.

It hasn't been syncing on MFP, but they say it's because of New Year's Resolutions and so many people getting them for Christmas.
  • lisab0864
    lisab0864 Posts: 154
    Options
    I've had the BMF for 2 years now but just ordered a FitBit (which should be here tomorrow). I've really loved my BMF but am tired of the tan line but I'm not yet ready to stop monitoring my calories burned. I'll be wearing/using the 2 of them together for about a week -- will be interesting to see how the numbers compare. If anybody is interested I can share my results!
  • kangababy
    kangababy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've had the BMF for 2 years now but just ordered a FitBit (which should be here tomorrow). I've really loved my BMF but am tired of the tan line but I'm not yet ready to stop monitoring my calories burned. I'll be wearing/using the 2 of them together for about a week -- will be interesting to see how the numbers compare. If anybody is interested I can share my results!

Let me know how that goes.. I think I want a fitbit but I think I want to wait until the braclet come outs int he spring.. I just wish it had a release date.. sigh
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit 1 also. I got it for Christmas and I LOVE it. It syncs easily, I never notice I have it on, and the site is easy to use.

It hasn't been syncing on MFP, but they say it's because of New Year's Resolutions and so many people getting them for Christmas.

I have a FitBit one and LOVE it! However I haven't had any issues with it syncing up with MFP. I also recieved it for Christmas, but started using it/synced it that very same day.

Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll LOVE. I feel like I'm more active now that I'm more aware of how INACTIVE I truely am/was.
  • badgeratheart
    badgeratheart Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump. I will be following this thread as I am in the market too!
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia and I love it. I thought wearing it on my arm would bug me but I forget it's even there. Its pretty accurate when measuring my activity.
    This. I had the fitbit also. Its nice just not a very accurate cal burn . easily lost also
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia and I love it. Only... I wear it tucked into the side panel of my bra (sensors flat against the side of my ribcage) rather than on my arm. In the beginning I wore it on my arm, but I found that the numbers were close to identical wearing it on my side. It's a lot less noticeable/intrusive in my bra. :-)

I've had my BMF since March of 2012. It helped me stay on track to lose my last ten pounds, and I've been successfully using it for maintenance since June now.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've had both and love both. The FitBit doesn't give you accurate calorie burn numbers - the BMF does a much better job. I've gotten used to the armband and am unlikely to lose it like I've done with TWO FitBits. I miss seeing how many flights of stairs I climb - that was fun. Even a wrist model of FB (like Nike Fuel or UP or a few others) can't get you really good calorie burn numbers... they just can't monitor your stats like a chest strap HRM or the BMF armband. And the armband is better for 24/7 tracking - the chest strap HRMs don't work really well unless you're in steady state cardio workout.

They all have pros & cons... what will you wear and use?
  • johnnlinda
    Options
    I have the fitbit one and I love it. I just got it a few months ago and would have got the Flex instead if it was available. I will be getting either the Flex or Nike+Fuel band soon. I don't like the stress of wondering when I am going to lose my little friend. Wrist is so much better. I have heard good things about Bodymedia, but I prefer not to have a monthly fee. Also fitbit syncs so well with MFP.
  • PermissionGranted
    PermissionGranted Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Good to know. Maybe ill wear it this way and see how the numbers compare
  • Rssblade
    Rssblade Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use a FitBit and it is really useful, but my only reservation is that you need to create a car driving activity and note the times when driving and enter it, otherwise you will have false readings.(a Fitbit Aria scale is a real motivation bonus)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I thought they both had a monthly fee? guess not.

IDK, i very much like the idea of them, but i don't think either one of them would be very accurate at tracking my P90X/INsanity/Weight training workouts. I could be wrong though. I've been considering the HRM that syncs with the site. Maybe what i really want is the HRM for workouts and to wear a fit bit during the day.

But then again as someone pointed out the HRM is most accurate when doing something like jogging, so i guess there are some draw backs to everything.
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love my BodyMedia! I did a lot of research and asked the same question before buying it. I have used mine for about a year and wouldn't trade it.

There is a small monthly charge about $7, but that is cheaper than a monthly Netflix charge and I think it is comperable to the data I get.

Serveral people I talked to before I bought said that it really helped them to lose the weight and then they continued to use it for workouts because they got an pretty accurate calorie count.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this conversation. I have wanted the BM for a long time but the new fitbit is rather tempting. So now I am undecided.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options

I currently have them both. I got the Fitbit for Christmas. Not happy with the Fitbit at all. The estimations it provides are much to general for my liking. I wore it for 2 days and promptly ordered the Body Media Core. I wore them together for a few days and the Fitbit consistently over-estimated my step count by a good 500 steps and under-estimated my calorie count by about 130 cals each day.

As an additional measurement, I wore my HRM, Fitbit and Bodymedia and hopped on the treadmill for 45 min. Checked both and the calorie burn from both the HRM and Bodymedia were identical, the Fitbit under reported the calorie burn by more than 100 cals.

I'm returning the Fitbit today and keeping the Body Media. Do I like having to the armband so visible? No. Do I like paying the monthly fee? No. Are dealing with both those issues worth the accuracy? Absolutely.

It was announced yesterday that the Body Media company is coming out with a Core 2 armband. From the press release I saw, it will be available in August. It is much smaller in design, will have bluetooth capability and also comes with optional accessories such as a HRM chest strap and interchangeable bracelet type armbands for easier use. I know what's going on my Christmas wishlist this year.
  • kangababy
    kangababy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I thought they both had a monthly fee? guess not.

IDK, i very much like the idea of them, but i don't think either one of them would be very accurate at tracking my P90X/INsanity/Weight training workouts. I could be wrong though. I've been considering the HRM that syncs with the site. Maybe what i really want is the HRM for workouts and to wear a fit bit during the day.

But then again as someone pointed out the HRM is most accurate when doing something like jogging, so i guess there are some draw backs to everything.

I wear a HRM when I workout.. It is the Scosche rythm it links direclty.. I would still wear it because if it isn;t getting a hr how can it be accurate